I don't think anyone is listening to me (present comapny excluded)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy I don't think anyone is listening to me (present comapny excluded)

Ever think no one is listening to you?

I feel that way

1)My almost teen son, is having to have lessons about how rude it is to put your earphones in your ears while someone is talking to you as he is constantly putting them in his ear mid sentence while I'm talking to him.

2)My Daughter (almost 9) I'm not sure she ever listens, Example: today
    Daughter: seeing the trash truck says, "Did we put out that trash today?"
    Me: "Yes, Daddy put it out this morning."
    Daughter: Did the trash make it out on time?"
    Me: "Yes, Daddy put it out this morning"
    Daughter: I see the trash can. Did the trash make out in time today?"
    Me:" Yes, Daddy put it out this morning."

It seems like she just doesn't hear and you have to tell her things three times. (She had her hearing checked at school and passed)

3) that same conversations as above happen with my mother (not sure if she has gotten her hearing checked.)

4)The clincher was last might with Hubby. We were talking about his mother oyster stuffing I mention that he will have to remind me to not eat his mother stuffing, if and when we make it to her house, until after we check the ingredients.

Hubby: "Why?"
    Me: "I'm allergic to shellfish. Doc said not to never eat Shellfish again as it might kill me and to report that I'm allergic to shellfish at all hospital trips as it will affect treatment"
    Hubby: "Since when?"
    Me: "A year ago"
    Hubby "I don't remember ever hearing anything about that"

I'm trying not to take it personally but it isn't working.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry you're feeling like no one is listening to you...I go through it with my dad (who's now 78) and well....unless you YELL whatever you want him to hear he won't get it. Can you imagine doing this in public? My sister is also known for this - she 'pretends' she doesn't hear you until you say what she wants to hear so she gets her way.

Cheer up...things won't always be like this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I completely understand how you feel, lately I have been saying " I might as well be talking to a brick wall."

Its like no ones ears are attached!

Hope yours gets better soon!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What did you say?

I have to admit, that at times, I'm EXACTLY like your husband. In my defense, sometimes my wife tells me things when I'm in the middle of something and it is NOT going to sink in.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Telling the truth means you never have to remember which lie you told.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kids and husbands! I KNOW my husband doesn't listen to me. When I need to tell him something that is REALLY important, I have to:

1. Tell him I am getting ready to tell him something important.
    2. Tell him to listen closely.
    3. Turn off the TV, stereo, etc. and there is a SLIM chance he MIGHT listen AND POSSIBLY remember.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post

1)My almost teen son, is having to have lessons about how rude it is to put your earphones in your ears while someone is talking to you as he is constantly putting them in his ear mid sentence while I'm talking to him.
    1 word.
    Scissors

2)My Daughter (almost 9) I'm not sure she ever listens, Example: today
    Daughter: seeing the trash truck says, "Did we put out that trash today?"
    Me: "Yes, Daddy put it out this morning."
    Daughter: Did the trash make it out on time?"
    Me: "Yes, Daddy put it out this morning"
    "What did I JUST say?"
    Daughter: I see the trash can. Did the trash make out in time today?"
    Me:" Yes, Daddy put it out this morning."
    "What did I JUST SAY?"
    It seems like she just doesn't hear and you have to tell her things three times. (She had her hearing checked at school and passed)

Hubby "I don't remember ever hearing anything about that"
    2 words
    Frying pan
    (to the head)
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

RE: Allergies of ANY kind - I would call, write, or email MIL and let her know. My SIL's mother has the same allergy and it can be dangerous! She tells everybody.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by savvy_sniper View Post
    Kids and husbands! I KNOW my husband doesn't listen to me. When I need to tell him something that is REALLY important, I have to:

1. Tell him I am getting ready to tell him something important.
    2. Tell him to listen closely.
    3. Turn off the TV, stereo, etc. and there is a SLIM chance he MIGHT listen AND POSSIBLY remember.
    BF has asked me to do this for him too - with events and important dates and things he needs to know...I need to gain his 100% absolute attention...which is hard b/c when he's focused waiting for me to speak - I can still see his brain working out a solution to something else. He's naturally able to listen to 10 people at once and able to answer them all back in the order they asked.

If its truly important - I email the info to him - even if we're 10 ft apart or side by side in the same room. He can read it the next time he checks his email and absorb it when HE is ready vs me trying to force it into his head. When he turns and asks why I did that, I simply tell him that he needed to know and I couldn't get his attention. Usually that sets off bells in his head to actually try to listen next time.

All you can do is try. If they don't catch on....I fail to see how it is your problem b/c it's something beyond your control. The others need to be accountable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like Greebo's suggestions..... :-). Made me laugh out loud.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm horrible about this. It's embarrassing to admit. I'm a good listener if I sit and focus, but when I get about the day to day business around the house, it's very difficult for me to have a conversation.

A few weeks ago, my husband picked a magazine off the kitchen counter as he was cleaning up. From where he's standing 10 feet away he holds it up so I can see and asks if I need it. I don't say a thing. Not a word. I just look at him. Right in the eye. And nothing. Not a nod. Not a smile. No acknowledgment whatsoever. I remember this. I don't remember why I didn't say anything.

Later I find the magazine in the trash because he got sick of waiting for me to say something.

It's not intentional. Sometimes you just have to consider the behavior along with the big picture of the relationship, you know? I don't think my husband lies awake at night and wonders if I love him because I don't answer him when he asks questions. At least I hope not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally empathize. My family does the same thing to me...
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have you DD checked for an auditory processing disorder. My DD hears fine but it gets lost on the way in. She is bright but signal fades. Like this: Did we get the trash out. Your xxx put out xxx mornxxx. So she repeats what she heard. And its not consisitant whats missed. She self taught herself lip reading too. APD sometimes goes w/ ADD. Also sometimes kids are trying to continue a conversation. Or your really boring.LOL Try say the persons name before you talk to them. DH had ADD also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband has routinely passed hearing tests in the past, but due to excessive scar tissue in one ear from tubes as a baby he sometimes doesn't hear sounds from certain angles. Like if you are behind him to the left, he can't hear unless you shout. I've asked him to get tested more recently, but I think he'd just prefer not to hear me sometimes, lol.

I also know he uses this as an excuse too, "Oh, Honey, I didn't hear you say Ava needed a diaper change" or "Oh, Babe, you wanted a Coke, too?!".
    Last edited by TigerGirl1226; 12-01-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I email DH all the stuff I want him to know. If not, I can guarantee him not remembering.

I make my boys repeat it back to me if I want them to remember it.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well it is nice to know I am not the only one dealing with this...LOL I am pretty sure the dogs listen to me more then the kids or dh at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast