Update on my adult DS (24) who had health issues
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Update on my adult DS (24) who had health issues

Well, after thinking he had a mouth lump from chewing tobacco, he quit chewing....he had also been clenching his jaw and had TMJ. He also was quitting caffeine (coffee and those mega-caf drinks) as his heartbeat was becoming irregular.

He was VERY stressed at grad school---responsible to about 10 profs, lots of lab work, plus his own grad classes had started.....his good friend and roommate had finished gradschool and moved out of state.....he had just started up a new relationship with a girl (good stress, but still stress)......he had a big presentation coming up.......he couldn't concentrate and felt that his mind was all fuzzy.....he couldn't sleep.......then the girlfriend dumped him.

Anyway......all of this for my younger son = major anxiety and panic attacks. So, after many tests, that is what they are seeing him for, and treating him for. He finally got fed up with the campus clinic people and after another sleepless night went into the ER and said he wanted to see a real doctor. The guy he saw was super, he said. A very calming force.

So all at the same TIME, he was: Quitting caffeine AND nicotine, working super hard and his own classes started back up, he's writing an important presentation AND assisting writing something for published journal, lost a roommate, gained a girlfriend, moved his living quarters, fended off the affections of someone he DIDN'T like, without hurting her, his grandpa died, all of his friends live far away, etc etc. I can sure see why he was having a meltdown, being a panic/anxiety patient myself.

He called last night and sounded SOOOOO much better. He said the breakup was for the best---he was actually relieved because it just wasn't a good time in his life for a new girl. Took the pressure off. He said they are still going to see each other occasionally as just friends and do things, because they enjoy each other's company. He said he's really down with that, it won't be an issue.

And after my Dad's death last week, and my son on my mind the whole time, I also am so much more calm. Whew!
    ______
    Cheryl

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance, but by our disposition." -------Martha Washington

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad he is doing much better. Hugs to you and hang in there!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear he's better. I know that's a huge relief.
    I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you got yourself some much needed relief there Cheryl! And I'm glad your son took the initiative, and found himself a "real" care giver. It's something that seems to happen just a little too much now-a-days with incompetency in the med field. Believe me, I know. And double good for him that he realized he needed to end the relationship with his GF. It does sound like they're both happier for it!

So then all's well, that ends well, right? But talk to me NEXT week....lol!

Theresa

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad he is doing better and I can definitely understand about anxiety/panic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad your ds is better but sorry to hear about your dad's passing.

Hang in there.........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the update. I am so glad things are getting better for him. I know as a mother, this takes a weight off of your shoulders, too.