Do you ever bite your (frugal) tongue?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Do you ever bite your (frugal) tongue?

Do you have to bite your tongue about money to enhance your relationships?

I sure do. For example, 16-yr-old gets good value out of our unlimited texting plan. DH thinks it's worthwhile since DD enjoys it so much.

Me? A waste of cash. But, for family harmony, it's worth it.

And I had to bite my tongue when DH decided he'd like to treat me to a fancy dinner for our anniversary. I would have been content with a take-out pizza, but I enjoyed the baked brie and salmon.

It sometimes gives me a struggle to be gracious at splurges.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Believe me i understand but I always remind myself-the reason to be frugal 1 place is so you can splurge somewhere else.

Ds just went up north MI. for a go-see (potential college visit). 2 nights in a motel,2 tanks of gas,food and general mayhem. DH and he went mom wasn't invited. So i got a cheaper motel,1/2 price on 1 night,free morning meals and made DS pay for his own entertainment when visiting a friend. I feel we should pay for part of it but not to entertain friends. It was hard to pay for the "sudden" trip which I wasn't invited too. Tongue bitten!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometimes we forget one of the reasons to be frugal--getting a non-guilty splurge every now and then .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ummm ..uh oh - you mean i am supposed to bite my tongue ???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Momto5RN-maybe just occasionally?? lol. Not my strong suite either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i think being frugal for some things makes good sense so that you have it for other things that you can do not so frugally....does that make sense

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe it's important to watch how we spend our money and be frugal, but we can't deny ourselves or our families the little pleasures in life occasionally. Is your texting plan really that expensive?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We're frugal in many many ways, so we're able to afford to provide somethings for our children that we wouldn't be able to otherwise. So we can have a home and a savings account.

3 of our kids have cell phones, ds is working full time for the next few months so he is paying his own. $25/mo plan, plus tax, no other fees. We like to be able to reach them, or them us. Yes, it adds up. BUT.... we have yet to pay more than $2500 for a car. There was only 1 that cost that much. Another was $1800. But most are under $1000. We don't have a $500/mo car payment, or rv payment, so we can afford to indulge a little something here or there.

I'd like to find a way where I didn't need to work at all, and just be home and homeschool mom. But so far we can't make it work with the little extras we like to have. So that is how it is. We *could* do it. BUT after utilities and food, there would be nothing left for savings or any extras, including the phones. SOoooo... that's where it's at right now.

BUT I'm working at building an extra savings account so I can take next year off..lol. And then regroup and decide what we really want and need.
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kids have unlimited texting too. I don't like the expense but I find it very comforting to know that I can contact them when I need to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes. I know the wife likes things that I wouldn't spend money on, so I don't say anything when she purchases those items, but only if she actually has that money available. I do tend to give her advice on how to get her items more cheaply.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It depends on what it is and if it's a need. Sometimes I have to categorize things that will make them happy as a need. Yes, we are frugal for the long-run (paying off cars early, saving for house etc) but in the meantime there is no point being TOTALLY miserable.

I -do- keep in mind that $ here and $ there does add up to be $$, but $10 every other month for some Daddy/Daughter time at Chuck E Cheese is worth SO much more. I didn't have a close relationship with either father-figures in my life and would HAPPILY clip a few extra coupons to make that happen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto5RN View Post
    ummm ..uh oh - you mean i am supposed to bite my tongue ???
    I'm with you. I take care of the budget; soooooo I do not bite my tongue. IMHO teens need to learn when they want extras they need to help pay for them. My ds's are grown now, but if I would have paid for their cell phones; I'd have been broke!!!!!

As for the nice dinner that the posters dh bought. That is the reason for being frugal so you can enjoy something like this once in awhile. You deserve it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With my cousin a lot. She seems to think I'm made of money and honestly I'm NOT! I hate doing things with her cause I always end up paying for stuff I shouldn't have to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    Do you have to bite your tongue about money to enhance your relationships?

I sure do. For example, 16-yr-old gets good value out of our unlimited texting plan. DH thinks it's worthwhile since DD enjoys it so much.

Me? A waste of cash. But, for family harmony, it's worth it.

And I had to bite my tongue when DH decided he'd like to treat me to a fancy dinner for our anniversary. I would have been content with a take-out pizza, but I enjoyed the baked brie and salmon.

It sometimes gives me a struggle to be gracious at splurges.
    Is it a smartphone? If so, get Google Voice app for free and start using free text messaging.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes! Dh's love language is giving so he's always picking up a pack of gum or a 6 pack of soda or gassing up a kid's car. In the scope of things those are little $$ for his enjoyment in giving. I think part of the problem is I couldn't care less to get or give a gift. Now if you want to wash the dishes for me I'm all over that ;p
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies