Frugal Village Forums banner

Ugh, DH is driving me crazy!

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  gardensparrow 
#1 ·
He's been out of work two months and he's driving me nuts.

:(

I'm not sure if it's this whole anxiety thing, but him being around the house all of the time is starting to wear on my last nerve. I come home to find him watching parody videos on YouTube and in my head, he should be out handing out his resume to people.

*sigh*

Anyone else's spouse drive them up the wall when they're unemployed?

#2 ·
Yes my DH
He would usually try to find a project but I felt like he was in my space and time. Unfortunately it happened a lot because he worked construction. Now he is retired but got a job 3 days a week. I like my me time.

#5 ·
My husband had a three month search between positions, and most nights I considered using a pillow to smother him to death while he slept. It was horribly stressful, even with him putting all his energy into networking/interviews and staying in contact with recruiters. I never doubted his efforts, but the disruption to our family life about did me in. I temporarily bumped my hours to full-time and he picked up a lot of my normal responsibilities/routine at home.

#7 ·
Yeah he's doing all of his online and he's waiting to hear back about at least three jobs that the recruiters have contacted him for. But this was Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Perhaps I'm being a little overanxious, but he's made it his mission to clean out the entire house and catch up on ALL of the laundry.

I don't mind that he helps, but he's been smothering me lately. I like my me time too. :D

#8 ·
Ha Ha
My DH works at home in the bsmt. He closes the door,forgets to eat lunch. Works thru dinner. Is never off. I finally had to say after 3 years,hey there are household things going on too.
He has a microwave,tv,food stockpile and dishes,several computers. Raise your hand is you think he's hiding!

When he was unemployed it took 3 months,2000 resumes and he finally got a job thru an old acquaintence. He said his new job was to get a job.

#10 ·
My dh was unemployed for 9 months and he's lucky he's alive. Meanwhile I was working ft, got a pt job so was working 7 days a week and bc my job didn't feel secure, started taking night classes. And would come home at 10p at night and have him say he hadn't had time to look for a job. ***scream scream scream. Luckily, he got called back to work, given a supervisor position and works night.

#11 ·
We do talk about how him being at home makes me feel sometimes and it's a slow process, considering how sensitive things are right now and much stress there is. He told me I can "wave the nag flag" and I have. :lol: I did it yesterday when I was at school and instead of getting into a big fight about it, we just stopped and started talking about it at a later time.

I do appreciate everything that he has done in the time that he has been home because it helps me out when I'm at school. It's just, I dunno, the stress of finances plus the stress of school makes it worse.

#14 ·
It sometimes amazes me how 2 married people that love each other, cannot enjoy having more time together.
The girls and I cherish every spare moment we can spend with each other no matter what the circumstances are, and I can't see that ever changing.
Of course I am an outdoors kind of guy, and when I am at home, I am normally outside from morning till dark tinkering around. So I am rarely ever in the way because I do not stay in the house unless it's freezing cold outside, but even then, I will stay in my man cave a lot!
You need to cherish your time together, and discuss how to avoid getting on each others nerves. Take advantage of your time alone together if you know what I mean!

#15 ·
Oh, sorry your family is going through this! Dealing with unemployment is tough on everyone, and it can be hard not to take your frustration out on eachother. But, maybe it would be helpful to set up some time when you two can get out of the house together and just enjoy being a couple again without worry about the job situation? I know that can be challenging with kids, but still worth it! :) Also, not sure if it would be helpful or not, but in my time at Focus on the Family I've come across a couple articles on dealing with a spouse's unemployment that you might want to do a search for on their website. Maybe it will give you some food for thought? Well, I'll be praying your husband gets a job soon! Hang in there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.