Frugal Date Ideas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Frugal Date Ideas

Okay folks. We all know we're on a tight budget. I am dating a wonderful man who understands that my budget is rediculously tight (recently I calculated that I have about $70 to live on at the end of the month and after bills are paid) and who offers to pay for things for me all the time.

As much as I appreciate his wonderful kindness, I hate feeling like I can't contribute to the relationship date-wise. But taking him out for dinner blows my entire monthly budget! So I need some help.

What are some good cheap-to-free date ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

But taking him out for dinner blows my entire monthly budget!
    ( qoute)

taking him out to dinner?

I was single 30 years before I married. its my opinion you should not do this with any man your romantically interested in, he may think if you marry your going to pay half the rent and bills too kinda girl and if thats the case, why marry? instead,
    get a roommate and search for a guy who isn't looking for a room mate relationship !

thats my opinion.
    The only guys I ever paid for my own drinks or food was guys I never wanted to see again !

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DH and I were both struggling college students when we dated-- I paid my share when I could (DH wasn't always happy about that, LOL). I felt like it was fair, since neither of us had much money. Back then, "eating out" meant Taco Bell for us-- you can buy a couple of tacos with your laundry quarters!

Don't go out, romance him with your home cooked meals. There are tons of frugal recipes, and besides, it can be fun and more personal.

Rent movies-- right now there are many McDonald's with a Red Box machine, which means rentals are only $1 per night.

And the old stand-bys:
    --picnic in the park
    --walk through a local museum or garden
    --volunteer together somewhere
    --a trip to the local farmer's market-- bonus if you pick up fresh veggies for your home-cooked meal
    --play board games and munch on inexpensive snacks you've made, or order pizza with a coupon

HTH!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it's great that you'd like to treat your boyfriend

I'm not sure about the area in which you live, so some ideas like going on a picnic might be out of the question if it's generally too cold. Though it could be something you plan now for future warm months.

What about local colleges or universities? Do they offer community programs where you could learn a new hobby together? Maybe a cooking class, dance class, drawing, etc?

The library in my town offers free passes to area attractions like museums, aquariums, etc. Maybe you have something similar?

Matinee movie? Or even just a movie night at home?

Outdoor activities like bike riding or hiking are fun, free, and great exercise too.

Can you do mystery shopping in your area? Some companies pay to have you evaluate their restaurant, and you could pay for his portion only.

How about a play at a High School or college?

Admittedly it will take some creative doing on your part, but it can be done. I hope these ideas help or give you a starting point for your own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M55FF View Post
    taking him out to dinner?

I was single 30 years before I married. its my opinion you should not do this with any man your romantically interested in, he may think if you marry your going to pay half the rent and bills too kinda girl and if thats the case, why marry? instead, get a roommate and search for a guy who isn't looking for a room mate relationship !

thats my opinion. The only guys I ever paid for my own drinks or food was guys I never wanted to see again !

Well, I'm not really of that mindset -- I have the ability to work and take care of things and support both myself (and others as necessary) and I've never been in a relationship where I had to be taken care of. So I am not really comfortable with the idea that I am not able to carry my own weight. Which is why I'm looking for suggestions of date ideas I can implement without feeling like I'm not pulling my end of the relationship.
    Last edited by Nada.Leona; 03-22-2008 at 04:42 PM.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you have a pretty lake nearby that you can walk around? Maybe grab an ice cream cone after?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nada~glad to see that you popped onto the board. I miss seeing your posts! You kinda "balance" some of us old fashioned-conservative types!! (you DO realize that was a compliment, right?!)
    Good to know that you are dating a great guy...I'm sure I speak for alot of us when I say that we were worried about you there for awhile.
    I'm gonna give another vote for a home cooked meal and a rented movie. Do you like or know how to play cribbage or backgammon, or some other two player games? How about going to a museum?

btw - dh was in Halifax for business a few weeks ago, he's has not stopped talking about how much he loved it!! (you are in Nove Scotia, right?)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since you still have snow ( lol)

how about making a sexy snowman and snow woman ?

( forget angels, angels are for kids)

lol

snow art, yeah sounds like fun to me !!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

old fashioned-conservative types!!
    ( qoute)

everyone stop looking at me.

lol

you could make a snowbutt of his butt...
    lol
    or let him make a snowbutt of yours.

Like a scuplture... !...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IntlMom View Post
    Nada~glad to see that you popped onto the board. I miss seeing your posts! You kinda "balance" some of us old fashioned-conservative types!! (you DO realize that was a compliment, right?!)
    Good to know that you are dating a great guy...I'm sure I speak for alot of us when I say that we were worried about you there for awhile.
    Awwww, thanks ladies! I guess I didn't give much of an update in the last little while, eh? Maybe I'll do that...

[ame="http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=872120#post872120"]There we go.[/ame]

btw - dh was in Halifax for business a few weeks ago, he's has not stopped talking about how much he loved it!! (you are in Nove Scotia, right?)
    That'd be my current residence! Glad he enjoyed himself. Too bad you couldn't have come, too. If anyone ever does make it to Halifax, I'd love to meet and put some faces to the names.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

This idea really isn't free, but since I read in your other thread that you live with your parents I'm sure your mom wouldn't mind if you used stuff around the house for this idea .

How about a good old fashioned picnic? You could make all the food up ahead of time, pack a basket and find a nice scenic place to kick back, listen to some music and talk....this idea of course will have to wait for warmer weather. Or, if you still have enough snow there you can have a Winter picnic complete with sledding! Have a small fire roast hotdogs or sausages, marshmellows and drink hot chocolate...
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny : $11.63
    Change : $66.20

Grocery Challenge:
    Grocery $400 avg. per month: $122.58/$400 April
    Running Total: $1,243.92

2014 Coupon Savings Challenge:
    $312.47

Savings Challenge: $/$3,000 to be put into other acct. when goal is met

2014 Fling Challenge: 63/2014
    20 Wishes Challenge: 10/24
    2014 Backwards 52 week Christmas Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
    To date: $637.00 - $53.84 = $583.16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I, for one, do not let a woman pay. It's not right. The only exception is when traveling with a business peer who is also getting per diem.

The important thing is spending time with your significant other. Some that come to mind:

Walking in the local park
    Renting a movie and watching it together
    Cooking a frugal dinner
    Picking wild flowers (since it's Spring here in California)
    Bike riding
    Doing laundry together

I wonder if there is a frugal date book?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some of the afore mentioned standards are my favorites.

~I love the park (or beach -even when it's cold) to picnic and toss a football or frisbee.

~do you have dollar theaters??? They run older movies but since we don't go to the theater much they've always worked for us.

~Hiking!!! Especially since things will be starting to bloom.

~How about a high school play (they're usually free) or asks about dress rehersal performances for the professional theater type places (mention your a student) These are almost always like a real show.

~Check into sports games in the area. We have a semi-pro softball team that sometimes runs quarter nights. A quarter for a ticket, a quarter for a hot dog, a quarter for a soda. If there's nothing in your area like that again there's always local high school games which are always free. Find a team and let it be "your" team. Go see all thier home games.