Frugal Village Forums banner

Saving Saturday, October 1st, 2011

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Debbie-cat 
#1 ·
:pumpkin:HAPPY OCTOBER! :pumpkin:

Wow, October is here already! Today, is a busy day for DBF and I. Around noon, we are meeting up with DBFs parents and going to a design harvest festival and then to a bar for an "Oktoberfest". Tonight we are going to a friends party. Today could potentially be a spend day - DBFs parents will probably buy us lunch/drinks - but I will probably want to bring something to my friends party.

Other than that, we are starting this morning off by cleaning up the condo - since his parents will most likely come up.

Have a great Saturday, everybody!

#2 ·
A no spend day for us. Dh and I are both recovering from the flu. We are feeling much better today than yesterday that is for sure! I, so enjoyed my hot shower this morning after spending all day yesterday with a fever and chills and hot and cold sweats. Dh is next to shower and he too is looking forward to it as his fever finally broke last night after two days of the flu for him.

Trying to get our strength back today. My legs feel a little wobbly and I am 95% better, but not quite 100% better yet. So today will be another kick back day at home for us.

A2M

#3 ·
Just re-read this post...sorry its so long!

I won't have much opportunity to spend today as I'm working a double shift at the bar. I'm pretty excited about it as my bar is hosting a fundraiser for one of our regulars who is losing his battle with cancer. He was self-employed and got sick a few years ago. The cancer battle isn't a cheap one and now, he and his family are basically broke (they still own their home but they pretty much built it themselves years and years ago, I can understand why they don't want to leave it) and, a few weeks ago, he was given a month or two to live (he's currently in the last week of that countdown and its NOT going well).

One of the things I LOVE about my bar is that we all treat each other as family so we organized a big fundraiser for him. Our regulars have donated prizes or had their companies/bosses donate items (one friend works for a man who owns several golf courses, his boss donated rounds of golf good for next year). Some of the staff (like me!) are going to donate a portion of their tips. Private donations of cash have already started to come in (we live in a fairly small community so everyone knows what's going on with him). This guy has always been so much fun and so nice, we all want to make sure that he has a proper funeral and that his family doesn't need to worry about money while they grieve.

It's unfortunate that he won't be with us much longer but I'm looking forward to this night being a big celebration of everything he has been to this community and making sure his family is taken care.

#4 ·
Glad you are feeling better, auntie2many! Don't overdo it!

Wow, I, too, am shocked it's already October. And once again, life flies by when you have busy, active children. Sigh.

However, October is my buckling down on being accountable for every penny coming out of our accounts. I have to get groceries today, so I am buckling down to spend my money wisely. Wish me luck!

Today I will be straightening up the house, hauling garbage to the dump, hauling bags of stuff to Goodwill, and then getting groceries. I am also working with oldest dd on her 3d cell project that will be due this coming week.

Have a great day!
-Vanessa

#6 ·
Probably not going to do much as hubby isn't feeling well. Straighten up a bit, organize some of my genealogy stuff or what not. Not sure what to do for dinner, if hubs is still feeling off probably chicken soup for him and maybe I'll make a wrap for myself and use up some left overs. I'm really bad about that and trying to get better.

#7 ·
DH & I slept in this am, watched tv in bed and coked a nice brunch - scrambled eggs, whole grain pancakes and bacon :hungry:

We're going to lay low today, play games on the computer, watch tv/movies, read etc. I may or may not put some laundry away and/or clean if the mood strikes. ;)

#8 ·
Worked a 12-hour overnight shift last night, so I got home a little after eight and slept until 2pm. Kids got a pizza on their way home from thier jobs, so I ate that, and have been just shlubbing around the house. DH and the teens have gone over to DD#2s apartment for supper, and I'm indulging in watching a couple of shows I had DVRd from the past week. Gonna go back to bed when it gets dark...............

#9 ·
We started our day with breakfast at a local restaurant, had a coupon for BOGO. Then we went to a festival at a monastery and walked all around the grounds. Then we went to my BF's church. It was their annual BBQ fundraiser. We bought BBQ and Brunswick stew and put it in our freezer.

#10 ·
I'm still recovering from having the baby, but my folks took the kids out for a lot of frugal fun today. They attended a free Harvest Festival this afternoon where they made corn husk dolls, watched a blacksmith work, and took some cute fall pictures. Now they are heading out the door with daddy to attend a free stargazing event put on by the local astronomy club. Gotta love free events.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.