Tutorial Heat Embossing and Eyelet Setting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Tutorial Heat Embossing and Eyelet Setting

Here we go everyone, I know it has been some time since I posted a tutorial last. But lately I have noticed some interest in heat embossing. So I Pulled out my tools to show how easy it is. I hope you enjoy.

(Bear with me, I will be editing the posts as I go along to make it as easy to follow as possible.)

Supplies:
    Heat Embossing Gun
    Embossing Powder
    Embossing Ink Pad
    Stamp(s)
    Cardstock

Heat embossing guns are made by a variety of companies. Mine is from Stampabilities. But they are all virtually the same. if nothing else what you must know is that these get INCREDIBLY HOT . Please keep them out of the hands of children. These are a adult tool. I don't even suggest them for preteens at all. Use them with care, as they can cause serious burns. Do not point them at your face or body. Keep hands away from the "nozzle" end. These aren't like hair dryers as they do not blow air, but just heat. So unfortunately using a hair dryer wouldn't be a good substitute as it would blow the embossing powder off the paper/

Embossing powders come in a variety of colors, and a variety of companies make these as well. I am showing Ranger brand embossing powder, but I like all of them that I have found so far. Some are opaque, some metallic, some flat color, but most are shiny.

Embossing ink; you have a few options here, tinted and untinted. I like to use tinted embossing ink, as it is easier for me to see where I am stamping my image. Tinted embossing inks usually come in blue or pink, and the tint will dissappear once embossed. You can also use an ink pad called "Versa Mark" It works wonderfully as an embossing ink. There are also embossing pens that are filled with the embossing ink, they also come as tinted or untinted.

Stamps...really it is up to you. i like to emboss just about any kind of image. But for practice sake sometimes a bold image is best especially to start with so you really can see what is going on.

Cardstock is important. Why? Because the cardstock can stand up to a bit hotter temps than regular writing weight papers without curling and scorching as quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's an example of the sample I am doing for this tutorial.....
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Time go get to the fun.

Take our stamps and ink them with the embossing ink pad. (When stamping, do not rub it onto the ink pad...instead do a sort of pouncing action with the stamp) Stamp your image onto the cardstock.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Next, pour the embossing powder onto your stamped design. Don't worry about using too much powder.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tap off the excess powder. (Return the excess powder to your container, don't throw it out. ) You will notice that where the powder is on the ink, it will stick. You may also notice a few stray pieces of embossing powder. You can remove these using a fine paint brush (dry!) or a toothpick. I used the toothpick in this pic to point to my stray embossing powder.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now is time for MORE POWER (said in my best Tim Allen voice)....

Time to use the heat embossing gun. Please refer to the first post in this thread, the warnings about the gun are important to remember.

Turn on the heat gun (facing away from you!!) Keep the nozzle at least 4 inches from the stamped image. Pass the gun back and fouth across the image using a sweeping motion. Be kinda slow with this motion. You may find you need to adjust the distance from the paper. You will begin to notice the embossing powder melting. Keep the gun moving, embossing one spot too long will cause scorched areas. You are done when all the powder is melted.

It will take practice, but once you have done it a few times you will find it is lots of fun.

Let your embossing gun cool for at least an hour before putting it away. Better safe than sorry.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From this point I trimmed my embossing result and mounted it onto a trimmed coordinating piece of cardstock. I thought it might be a nice book mark and a nice thank you gift to give, so I decided to set an eyelet onto it and add some ribbon. Next is the directions to setting eyelets.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty easy, huh?? So is eyelet setting.

Supplies needed:
    Eyelets
    Small lightweight hammer
    cutting mat (to protect the table or counter)
    a hole punch for eyelets
    an eyelet setter
    cardstock (in my example the finished result from the last steps above)

Lets talk quickly about the supplies.

Eyelets come in a variety of shapes, colors and sizes. When it comes to the hole punch, make sure you have one that creates a hole big enough for the hole in the eyelet. Setters are a pointed tool used for flaring out the stem of the eyelet once pushed through the cardstock to anchor it.

Ok, lets get on with this.

Decide where you want your hole. If you want it centered you may want to measure and mark your spot. I generally "eyeball it". Place your hole punch to where you want your hole. Tap the end with the flat end lightly with the hammer, you may have to tap a few times.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There, you should have a hole now.

Push the eyelet stem through the hole.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now turn the whole piece over so you are looking at the back. Place the eyelet setter point into the end of the eyelet stem. Tap the flat end of the setter with the hammer. the end will flare out some. Tap lightly. If after it begis flaring out, if it isn't flat, tap this back sode of the eyelt gently a few times with the hammer. Don;t do this too much or you run the risk of distorting the shape of the eyelet. It should be tight to the paper by means of having pinched the paper between the flared out back and the front ot the eyelet.

All done.

You can thread ribbon or fibers into eyelets, or any of many other ways to further embellish the eyelet.

Have fun!
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

END OF TUTORIAL

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer your questions or find the answers for you.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Missy, Although I've been scrapping for some time now, I've never done embossing with the ink, powder and heat gun. I know the gun is a little pricey, I can live with that purchase, but was wondering if all embossing powders and inks are the same. I see some cheaper at Oriental Trading scrap section than some I've seen in the stores, and was wondering if you knew. What brands do you use? I want to try my hand at it after seeing how easy you made it look here. Love these tutorials.....Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MarshHen View Post
    Missy, Although I've been scrapping for some time now, I've never done embossing with the ink, powder and heat gun. I know the gun is a little pricey, I can live with that purchase, but was wondering if all embossing powders and inks are the same. I see some cheaper at Oriental Trading scrap section than some I've seen in the stores, and was wondering if you knew. What brands do you use? I want to try my hand at it after seeing how easy you made it look here. Love these tutorials.....Thanks!

i use ones i have had forever and a day from Stampin Up! and ones i get at Hobby Lobby. Ranger is a good brand, and on the lower end of the price range.

Ive never used the ones from Oriental Trading, but now that you told me they have em, i'll have to give them a try!!
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Missy,

Found this site yesterday and wanted to share. They have 1 oz. embossing powder for $2.99 and 4 oz. for $8.99, and any color you could want. Check out the stamps too. I fell in love with the Daisy D's collection. Check out the project and gallery sections!

http://www.goinque.com/asp/product/

Scroll down to find the embossing powder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great Tutorial Missy! Thank you so much. I had no clue how to use all of the embossing stuff. The Thank You Note is so cute!

I've been collecting card/scrapbooking supplies for about 2 years now and am yet to make my first card or scrapbook page, lol. I got my Embossing Heat Gun at the thrift store for $2.00 and it had a Michaels price sticker of $29.99 on it. I got a huge amount of card stock (2 reams of yellow and white) for $1.00 and my stamps (all but my little quilting stamps) were FOUND in the neighbors stuff they put by the road after they moved. I used to think I could never afford to make cards or scrapbook since it is so expensive but I found if I have patience I'll soon have a lot of great supplies. In all I don't think I've spent more than $5.00 for all supplies. Oh and occasionally you can get nice card stock samples freebies on the internet. I have gotten them 2 or 3 times.

The only things you mentioned that I don't have is the embossing powder and the embossing ink pad. Now I know what to look for and will keep my eyes open for it. Thanks!

Oh, I actually got the embossing gun for my quilting. You use it to make stamped designs on velour or velvet type fabric and add those pieces to your crazy quilt. So, it has a dual purpose!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast