I look good in PURPLE, but ....
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I look good in PURPLE, but ....

I'm plus-size. That sometimes makes it difficult to find great clothes. (2ndhand or retail).

I live in a very small town.

Thrifting (in my small town), I found a PURPLE wool coat that fits like a dream. It's perfect for dressy occasions, even though it's PURPLE. And it sure isn't subtle, like a black coat of similar cut would be.

The next scenario is ALL IN MY IMAGINATION. But I wonder ...

I can picture showing up (in that coat) at a local business wine and cheese tasting -- and having someone comment that she donated it.

All I can think of as a possible response is, (if it was a polite comment), "Yes, we both have good taste, don't we?"

If impolite, I could snap out, "I paid $5 for this coat; you paid $200. What does that say about YOUR intelligence level!?!"

OR, "I paid less for this coat than you paid for TAX on this coat! Who's the smart one here!"

I don't know that I'd be gutsy enough for either one.

But what would you say if confronted by the previous owner of a thrifted find? Especially if the comment is snarky?
    Last edited by Early Bird; 02-12-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know, you should just wear it with flair! Obviously this is the coat for you.

I doubt you would ever be confronted but if so, I would say "You must have known it was the perfect coat for ME! - THANK YOU!"

No need to feel less than fabulous in it!
    Last edited by Simplegirl; 02-12-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could be really cruel and say..... "I wondered who the idiot was that donated such a beautiful coat!" "Your loss is my gain!"

Oct No Spend Days - 14 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 254 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $55 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1140 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I doubt "she" would say anything, because obviously she thought the coat was beautiful at some point as well!! And how would she know that you didn't buy yours retail at the same place that she got hers?

BTW, purple is my favourite colour. I'm not sure I could wear it, at least not in quantity, but I still love it.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd just wear the coat and smile. How she to know that you didn't buy it the same place she did & really who cares? Just enjoy while you're smilin' & profilin'! :biggrin2:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think snarky comments deserve an answer just smile and walk away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are all quite brilliant. Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yeah, this is always a problem when thrifting for clothing in small towns. My mother used to go to the next town over to thrift shop when we were in school because of some of the comments that were said to us by other mothers and children when they saw us in things they had donated to thrift stores. My mother was very good at stretching a dime and needed to buy most of our clothes used because of income but was also thoughtful enough to purchase them (after only one episonde) 10 miles down the road! If you worry a lot about being confronted, why not try to do what she did (of course, I would just say, thanks for donating this coat, I sure do love it.)..
    Wear your coat with pride that you are helping a local thrift store, recycling and reducing waste by wearing something that's already been purchased instead of buying something completely new, and that you're saving money in the process!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have shopped thrift stores (and donated to them as well) and I have never had anyone make any type of comment to me about the thrift aspect of it.

The most comments I've gotten about thrift clothes are how nice they look or are, but most people never ask where I've purchased them. Well, expect for my friends. They might ask me where I got something, becuase they love it...but they are the group that I proudly say "nanny, nanny boo boo...I got it at the thrift store at a great bargain...so you probaby won't be able to find another like it!"

I wouldn't worry about it. Wear it proud and enjoy how you look in it! I love purple too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unless it has a stain or other identifying mark, how would the owner be sure enough it was "her" coat to make a snide comment?

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com