How are the yard sale prices in your area? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the biggest difference is in the number of them. No need to get a paper, just drive around and you'll find them EVERYWHERE. Nobodies asking high prices out here, and yet everyone wants to pay very little for decent items. I find it kind of sad really, I mean you know that people are dragging their lives out on their front lawn because their doing everything to keep their ship from sinking, and people ask for them to to give them an item that's price fairly at a dollar or two for twenty-five cents It's rare to run across a yard sale with crazy high prices, although it does happen.

As far as selection, well there's everything you could possibly want. People are literally dumping their lives on their front lawns.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Around here you can tell people are hurting for money for the bills so they charge way too much for stuff. Especially in the McMansion subdivisions. Yuppies are needing money now and they have "fallen" to having a yard sale! *gasp*! Way too high prices for used things IMO.
    Same at the flea market here in my town. Prices way too high for stuff. The guy doing the best business is the one who goes to estate sales and buys the "box lots". Then he sells all the stuff he doesn't want at the flea market 3/$1. I've done bought enamel on steel basins and a tray 3/$1, a pyrex glass coffee perkalator ( cute little 4 cup thing),extra first-aid supplies ( ice pack,ace bandages,etc). He gave me a good deal on a bunch ( 3 doz) mason jars of different sizes ( pints to 1/2 gallon) and the waterbath canner to go with them ( all for $10 ).
    Other people are wanting $3 for a dish towel! HUH?!
    I guess people who have never had to "lower" themselves to that level before have no concept of what to charge and then wonder why people pass them by.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prices around here are pretty good at yard sales this year. Unfortunately I have only been a few times. Our thrift store prices are getting out of hand though. Goodwill has their clothes priced $3.75 for shirts, pants, skirts, and $5 dresses. That's not terrible but all of their household items are higher than most things you can get new at places like Walmart or Target. I have decided to try to go on a buying break except for have to haves for awhile. Things are getting tight and going to any store can lead to spending money I do not need to.
    Jeanna

Wife to Ken for 27 years
    DS 25
    DD 20

Start where you are with what you have. Make something of it and never be satisfied.
    George Washington Carver

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jeanna- When I read the prices at your goodwill, I knew you were in NC, lol. I buy jeans at the goodwill, only AE, holister, abercrombie, lucky and I bought a pait of Roxy for my dd. But I rarely buy shirts, you can get them new on clerance for that or not much more, I did buy a new looking puma shirt there a few weeks ago.

The houseware prices are crazy though. And I don't like the special finds either. They get the stuff donated so it bothers me that they charge so much.

Yard sale prices vary where I live, some are good, others are way over priced. I was at one where the baby clothes were 5.00 each, name brand, but I have spent enough time in the mall to know that on clerance you can get the stuff new for not too much more.

At another yard sale in a rich neighborhood the lady wanted 150 or 175 for a mixer on a stand. I realize these cost a good bit new, but it was used and I would buy a new one before I paid that at a yard sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went out for the first time since I've moved to this town last weekend. DBF & I hit up 3 or 4 yard sales and the local flea market. Things seemed pretty reasonable, I got a piece of furniture I was looking for, only $3, DBF got a few books for $.50. It seemed worth it that day for us, might try going back this weekend to see what we find.

Working on:
    Eating healthy for "Spot"
    Saving LOTS of money
    Starting to live a more natural life

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The yard sale prices, in my area, have risen sharply in the past year or so...Same with thrift stores and flea markets...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12