Frugal Village Forums banner

Betty Crocker sandwich maker

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Hamada 
#1 ·
Okay, I am in the thrift store yesterday and I come across this sandwich maker that looks like new, in box, in original packing. I bought it for 2.99. My plan is to use it for a waffle maker.
After I got it home, I came to the conclusion it probably was only used once or twice. Very clean. Works good. Instruction booklet came with it.

So does anyone here have one, and any hints/tips ?

I only found two on ebay. I think it is a discontinued item.
BETTY CROCKER Sandwich Maker , search term. Mine looks like the white one with the box currently up.

On the Betty Crocher site, I only found this unit that is close to it. It does show the inside plates real good.
Brushed Stainless Sandwich Grill by Cuisinart at BettyCrockerStore.com

If I am going to drag this stuff home, I better find a use for it.

I thought about buying a new waffle maker, but being I am the only one here that likes them, I keep trying to find something used that will work.

I am not planning on using it for a sandwich maker. I already have one of them :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Any chance of finding that post ?

I made a batch of waffles first using bisquick. Not bad for the first attempt. Our buff cocker adores bread products, so he gave them the paws up award. Have to share with the old boy :)
Second recipe, I made blackberry scones with the bisquick. Going to dig out a recipe for scratch ones next.

#4 ·
My Mom has one and will go through bouts of using it then putting it away for a while. They do a surprisingly good job at making small sandwiches and snack cakes.

Keep us up to date with the things you try. I would like to encourage her to use it more.

Reactions: ladytoysdream
#5 ·
Check out camping recipes for Pie Iron recipes. You can make the same things in an electric sandwich maker.

Use honey wheat bread and pie filling to make little triangle pies. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with syrup after cooked if desired.

Use honey wheat bread and make S'mores using milk chocolate and mini marshmallows.

Any sandwich filling is good, especially if it has some good cheese that'll melt in it.

Try a Reuben sandwich using rye bread, sauerkraut, corned beef, and thousand island dressing. Mmmmmmm.

Finely dice cooked chicken, add blue cheese and some deli ham, make the sandwich, and cook in cooker.

Cheese and tomato sandwiches are really good for something simple. Slice the tomato really thin. Mustard is good with those.

Let your imagination run and try whatever sounds good!

#6 · (Edited)
I am going to try a bunch of things in it.
I am thinking small batches/half recipes, so if I don't like something, it won't be a waste.
I am hoping for a recipe for something like a calzone :)

I did use the THANK YOU button for replies, but it is not showing up. Sorry.

#9 ·
Sounds good :)

I have one and must say PB & J all the way!!!! they are an amazing desert when cooked in there. Also, grilled cheeses are pretty darm good too.

I do grilled cheese on the center grill on our kitchen stove. But
if I only wanted one, sounds like the little sandwich maker would
be the way to try.

#10 ·
love mine!

breakfast - pancakes, scones, eggs
lunch - corndogs, tuna melts, etc
dessert - cake, pies, etc

#11 ·
love mine!
breakfast - pancakes, scones, eggs
lunch - corndogs, tuna melts, etc
dessert - cake, pies, etc
So, are you using a regular recipe for the scones ?
And the desserts ? Like something that would go in a
conventional oven ?

#12 ·
My Sister has one. They take it with them on vacation. They make grilled cheese in the hotel room for lunches, and I think PB&J for breakfast.

I had an opportunity to get one and turned it down, I've been kicking myself ever since. Just like that $10 vita mix I left sit. :(

#13 ·
Polly, I kicked myself after watching a lady buy a grain grinder just ahead of me at a church thrift store. SIGH.

#14 ·
for the pies, I don't use pie crust, I use lightly buttered bread with pie filling

I use normal recipes for everything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.