What Have You Picked Up At the Curb on Garbage Day?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What Have You Picked Up At the Curb on Garbage Day?

Today was garbage day and I drove around a few streets to see if there were any "goods" people were throwing away. I did this in my parents' old "ritzy" neighbourhood (from when I was a kid). Someone had a good-looking Evenflo front-facing carseat (with the expiry of December 2013) at the side of the road. I phoned a friend to see if she could use it, but she said that someone at their church definately could. So I picked it up and gave it to her. Before driving away, I noticed the owner of the house drive in the laneway so I asked her if the carseat had ever been in a car accident...she said 'no'. Good to know!

A couple weeks ago I found three cereal boxes (visible from the top of the people's recycling bins) that had coupons for free food. I picked those up, typed the codes online when I got home and got coupons for the free products. Woohoo!

What have you found in the past at the side of the road on garbage day?
    If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.

2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge
    1st goal of 138 lbs DONE!
    2nd goal will be 135 lbs
    3rd goal will be 133 lbs
    4th goal will be 130 lbs
    5th goal will be 128 lbs
    6th goal will be 126 lbs

March No Spend Challenge 10/30 No Spend Days
    7th (), 8th (), 9th (), 10th (), 11th (), 12th (), 13th (), 14th (), 15th (), 16th (), 17th (), 18th (), 19th (), 20th (), 21st (), 22nd (), 23rd (), 24th (), 25th (), 26th (), 27th (), 28th (), 29th (), 30th ()

Personal
    Pay off my Mortgage
    $68,182.21 (as of April 4th, 2014 - 6 years, 4 months)
    $73,670.29 (as of December 29th, 2013 - 7 years, 0 months left)
    $94,506.12 (as of December 21st, 2012 - 9 years, 2 months left)
    $108,631.38 (as of December 3rd, 2011 - 12 years, 7 months left)
    Pay off my Line of Credit#1 - General
    $9,285.48 (as of April 4th, 2014)
    $10,784.38 (as of December 20th, 2013)
    $20,330.65 (as of June 7th, 2013)
    Pay off My Line of Credit #2 - Van
    $------- (as of ...)
    $31,843.28 (as of April 4th, 2014)

Winning at money is 80% behaviour and 20% head knowledge....Hey, if it were easy, every moron walking would be wealthy.
    ~Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby walks the dogs in the evening and he brings home all sorts of stuff:

3 Coleman lanterns - he used the worst one for parts on the other two; so now we have two working lanterns for free
    Wheelbarrow - just needed air in the tire! It is old and rusty, but there is nothing wrong with it.
    DVD rack that matched one my step-daughter already had
    Metal shelving - we already had some in bad shape; so hubby mixed and matched and came up with several good sets of shelving for the garage
    Brand new fence boards - don't know why the fence had been taken down and replaced. The boards were brand new.
    Firewood - we are always on the lookout. We load up the truck, bring it home, let it season, cut it up, and use it in the fireplace.
    Hubby stops and tears Coke points off of Coke cartons sticking out of trash cans all the time. We have gotten all sorts of free stuff with the points.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get tons I live on base housing and the underground trash receptacles are across the street from me. The trash company does bulk trash pickup every Monday. So Sunday night I just periodically look out my window and if I see something that catches my eye, I go out and grab it.

This past month I got:
    -Step 2 toddler picnic table for our backyard
    -Step 2 toddler dining table (gave this to a friend)
    -Toy Story 2 toddler table and chairs (gave this to someone looking for Toy Story decor)
    -little smoky grill- we're going to use this as an outdoor fireplace
    -tricycle

It helps that people are constantly moving and trying to get rid of things quick to stay under their household weight limit.

There is a tradition here in Germany called "junking". Off base, there is a twice yearly bulk trash pickup per village. When we lived off base I remember seeing vans of people driving by to see what treasures they could find
    Wife to Air Force DH for 7 years.
    SAHM to twin boys, Samuel and David!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh lots of stuff
    a onion bin
    a vaccum
    christmas tree
    a fireplace candle holder
    lamps
    baby stuff would scrub it with bleach and give it to people
    toys same scrub and give away
    book shelves
    probably more just can't think of it all

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My latest is a step for exercise. Guess one of the perks of living in an apartment complex. The dumpster can be your friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    My latest is a step for exercise. Guess one of the perks of living in an apartment complex. The dumpster can be your friend.
    Absolutely! It was even better when I lived in a college town - lots of free stuff during the dorm move-out and when students were leaving over the summer. It got to be so lucrative that companies popped up to collect junked items on the spot. I've gotten small refrigerators for free and one of my brothers got an ipod from the trash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live within sight of 3 dumpsters from small apt complexes. We have gotten *a lot* of decent enough furniture just from keeping an eye out every day. Small tables and shelf units, even the desk I'm sitting at right now.

We are not into buying furniture at all.

We have two large cat trees that came from those dumpsters. A little cleaning up, and our cats love them!

Someday when we are done with all that furniture we'll just set back out next to the dumpster for the next person.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hockey sticks,new batteries in pkg,hangers,computer keyboards,baby tender (Gf w/ twins),dresser,valances,preschool kitchen,suitcase,drywall,flower pots,a vase,pens,pencils.
    So much over time.
    It is a tradition to leave stuff on the trash can if its good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember when I was 10 years old, a lady down our street threw away a small table. My dad told me to go get it off the side of the road. I was so embarrassed to walk down there, get it and carry it back. The lady came to the door when she saw me out there. I told her my dad wanted it and she said sure (it was on the curb). I carried it back to the house hoping no one would see me. My did was a carpenter and fixed it, restained and a new table it was. When my dad passed away 27 years ago, my mom thought it was appropriate that I get the table. It now sits in our living room with a picture of my dad rests on it. I now keep my eyes open for items on the side of the road for projects.
    Jan

Married to hubby, Rick 35 years *Mom to 3 grown children
    Grannie to 6 boys
    Foster parent to 50+ kids and counting

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got our mattress and box spring from the hallway in our old apartment building. We have also gotten a 29 gallon fish tank with stand, a kids easel, a rocking chair, many clothes, a swiffer mop, a wooden dresser (has some scratches on it, but its real wood and not that particle board so easy to fix up!), a computer chair, a few spare power cords for computer and monitors, a baby basinette, a cordless RCA headset that you connect to your tv (it was missing the power cable for the base, but we had spares. It works perfectly!)
    I'm sure there are other things we have collected over the years that I cannot remember. Living in apartment buildings seems like a freecycle gold mine sometimes. People get rid of things that I would pay money to buy at a second hand store or on craigs list!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A concrete bowl for my bird bath. A good find for me!
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

An old rocking chair that had a loose arm. Put it in my garden and put a flower pot in the seat. Lasted two years and looked cute!

Old unusual window with all the glass out of it. White chippy paint. paired it with a small white chippy paint table and now it looks like a console. Hung a wreath on the window and have cute stuff displayed on the table.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A lawn mower (just needed a new oil filer), Fisher Price basket ball goal, and tomato cages.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's amazing what people will throw away.

I've found books, Barbie dolls/clothes and a perfectly good zinc bathtub.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ended up taking ANOTHER floor lamp. It was standing right next to the dumpsters. Am planning on painting it either black or an mahogany color since it is a golden blond in color. Have all dark wood here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast