All this for $2.65 ~ Are you sure?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default All this for $2.65 ~ Are you sure?

Stopped by a pre-sale garage sale today of one of my customers from the grocery. She told me they were having one this weekend and to come by today and check things out before it officially opened.

I came and I bought:

4 pairs shorts for me
    1 (really cool looking) tie dye t-shirt
    2 light summer dresses
    long sleeve dressy flannel shirt
    3 t-shirts for dh
    bottle of new body lotion
    calculator
    2 boxes of unopened 24 pk crayons (these will be used in my crafts)
    large bag of plastic Easter eggs (I make kitty toys out of them for farmers market) there were about 40 of them

All this for $2.65.... everything was from .5 -.25 each.... crazy - the most expensive item was the flannel shirt @ .50

And this was all good, clean stuff in great condition, looking like she never wore any of it. She could have gotten a $1 or more for each pair of shorts alone. The dresses probably $2 each....the bottle of lotion probably cost $1.50 at the store.

She asked if I wanted to try anything on. But at .10 for a pair of shorts worth $1 (at MY garage sale if they don't fit) - well, I will just have to take my chances ~ lol

Actually the find of the day was the Easter eggs. I am making kitty toys out of them (put a few hard corn kernels in them for noise makers, glue shut, decoupage over, add tails, ears from cardboard, more layers of decoupage, paint entire thing gray. Then paint a little face on them with whiskers) and sell for $2 each. I made about a dozen over the winter and Sat at the farmers market I sold 8 of them. I was really happy but also bumming because I knew that it was going to be hard to find any more eggs this time of year. And what do you know - there is a giant bag of them right down the street at a garage sale.... fabulous!
    crafts 014.jpg (Here are my first 3 kitties - and the painting only got better from here).....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good score.........way to go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is excellent! With prices like that she's bound to sell out! Good for her, and great for you making it to the pre-sale!

So I'm loving your little mice....very clever! Care to share directions or a link to the directions?

Thanks!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia View Post
    That is excellent! With prices like that she's bound to sell out! Good for her, and great for you making it to the pre-sale!

So I'm loving your little mice....very clever! Care to share directions or a link to the directions?

Thanks!

Theresa
    Thanks on the mice! There isn't a link to send you to coz I pretty much made them up as I went along. (Doesn't mean other people aren't out there making them and posting them - I don't think I am the only creative person on the planet) but - I have not seen any specific directions. I saw others doing things with the Easter eggs and thought they were a nice mouse shape, so why not try some.

I will try to explain as much as possible here. I will be making more (obviously- lol) so maybe I can take some pics as I go along.

Fill the egg with about 6 kernels of hard corn or maybe a couple of small pebbles. Don't overfill coz you just want them to rattle when shaken to get the cats attention. Glue shut with any type glue (probably don't have to do this step coz you are going to cover with paper mache (I think in the original post I kept calling it decoupage) - it's paper mache - so sorry.

So make a paste of flour & water (paper mache) - tear small strips of newspaper (must be small so they wrap around the shape of the egg and sit down without creases). I do about 3 layers letting them dry between layer. The I cut little ear shapes from cardboard. I make long oval shapes and bend them in half on the top of the head. One half is standing straight up (the ears themselves) - the other half is on the back of the head and I paper mache that part on. Same with the tail. Use a strong cord (like a shoe/boot string) and attach it to the rear of the egg overlapping extra that you paper mache on also. Do about 2-3 more layers of paper mache over entire egg - going right over the top of the cardboard ears and back of the tail (but not the whole tail of course) - (This will make the ears & tail eventually blend into the overall egg and you will have a nice even texture)... Let the whole thing dry for a few days. Paint gray (I used wall paint- high gloss) - let dry & then paint a mouse face with craft paint.

I am not a great painter so I found a mouse shape on clip art - kept it on the computer in front of me and followed along as I did the faces. I got better in time and hopefully will continue to....

The eggs make a great bird body shape too. So I thinking in time I might attempt a bird with wings.

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You got awesome deals! The mice are cute too!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great deals!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish you lived near me...I just gave a huge bag of eggs to the church for their garage sale and I am sure I have plenty more in the attic...I'm afraid to look I bet the mice are darling......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormpeg View Post
    Wish you lived near me...I just gave a huge bag of eggs to the church for their garage sale and I am sure I have plenty more in the attic...I'm afraid to look I bet the mice are darling......
    Yea- I am always in the wrong place at the wrong time ~ lol

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Way to Go and those kitty toys are TOO CUTE
    Kim - Single mom to one 14 year old High School and Competitive

7/14 - My savings is for saving, not for spending

Pound a week challenge: 1/25
    Grocery Challenge: 0/12
    Days not taking anything out of savings to live : 10/365
    New Roof: 0/$7500.00
    RePlumb 0/$3500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is great!
    TOTAL DEBT REMAINING=0, Nada,Zilch and never ever again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

great deals

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Way to go! Great return on a tiny investment. This farmers market thing would be so cool to do. We have nothing like it anywhere close.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More August
    Goal 20
    Accomp/19

No Spend Challenge