Frugal Village Forums banner

New/Old Sewing Machine!

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Mommyof2lildivas 
#1 ·
I have previously posted this on the Sewing Forum, but it's also a hidden treasure, as it was hidden in my fil's guest room for the past 24 years! My fil just gave me dh's mothers sewing machine! It's definitely an oldy, but it works! He still had the manual, as well, which makes it all the better! It's a Singer Slant-o-Matic 600. I'm currently researching these to find out how old the model actually is. I can't wait to get it home and start sewing!

#5 ·
Amy, you have a definate treasure. I got an old brother from my mom many years ago. She worked for the Salvation Army Thrisf Store and she bought it very cheap, brought it home oiled it and loved it up a little. It has served me for many years. About 6 years ago, I bought a brand new one from Sears. I have fixed it twice since then. The old brother has never given me a moments problem, it is just a straight sewer. I bought the new one so I could make buttonholes. When I took the newer one to the shop, the man said that all the new machines have plastic gears and breaks very easy. He said he would never buy a new machine. I do like the fancy stitches it does, but I do not like the way it breaks down. You should be doing a happy dance...

#7 ·
Enjoy your family heirloom Amy! Happy sewing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.