Frugal Village Forums banner

How to clean wood furniture?

994 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  PrairieRose 
#1 ·
I have a very old pine bedroom suite that belonged to my parents. They were heavy smokers and this furniture really needs to be cleaned before I use it. Do you have any suggestion on what product to use. It is solid wood with a commercial finish that was applied about forty years ago. Please help!

#3 ·
:) Thanks Lisa! Last weekend I used the Murphy oil soap with warm water. It cleaned lots of cigarette residue off the furniture. Gosh, I could believe how dark the water was.:eek: It even disolved some tar, it just wiped off! Then I let it sit until today and I found a product called restor.a.finish. Got it from an antique store that had nice furniture so I asked her what she used and she brought out a can and showed me with some of her merchandise. It looks like it has been re-finished but was much easier. Here is a link that shows the restorer.

www.howardproducts.com

#4 ·
Katie, that product looks really good. We sell furniture in our store and we also sell that orange oil they have there. It's great on newish furniture and gives you a nice citrus smell in the house. I think you made the right choice with your older furniture though. It would have needed more than orange oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.