Dumpster Diving? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My friend works at a drug store and when they did salvage she'd call me and either just load the stuff into my car instead of the dumpster - or would lay it gently on top until I could get it if it was that night - if it wasn't, she would sometimes get it for me. She's married to a thrifty guy now and her position has changed so goodies are few and far between - but every few months (esp when they did inventory) I'd get cases of baked beans, jugs of fruit juice, snack/diet/protein bars, boxes of cereal/rice, pet food, picture frames, snacks, vitamins, gift wrap, greeting cards, hair color, cosmetics, perfume, stockings, dried fruit and nuts, cookies, lawn chairs, weight loss supplements, chocolates, bags of candy, shampoo/conditioner/hair spray, you name it - some were close to expiring but I went through it and decided what I could use and what I couldn't and passed it around. I really miss that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

...and stickers, and stationary, and pens, and gum, BP cuffs, ointments, seasonal items, canned goods, Sunday papers and their coupons, magazines, books ...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow monkey143, you were making out like a bandit.

My boyfriend and I do this from time to time.

We have found:

3 computer screens
    1 vacuum which is in very good condition
    1 fax machine
    2 board games (brand new and never been opened)
    Last edited by Felisha; 05-19-2006 at 12:46 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to go d.diving all the time. It's kind've a thrill finding cool stuff.

Best places around me were Bed, Bath, Beyond (sometimes locked now), Office Max (no compactor), Computer Rennesance (closed), and Computer Deli (next to an active road). It's good stuff though, I found tons of cool things all the time. Best finds included brand new computer desks, computer chairs, computers, lcd monitor (7-10 dead pixels), 600mhz Celeron (movie server now), 16X Dual Layer DVD-Burner (best find overall [someone returned it, looked like a dvd exploded in the tray]).

It's worth a shot, but you'll quickly learn what places have good stuff and when to hit them. We had all kinds of notes about good times to go to each place, and when they closed/opened. It's important not to get caught and if you do get caught somewhere don't go back. Ever. I got caught at Office Depot and I never went back. We always closed all the doors on the car and everyone had certain jobs (lookout, lid holder, jumper, etc) and we never took more than 3 people in the car. Brings back awesome memories!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kebert, you certainly were organized!

I don't have the courage or the coordination to attempt a dumpster dive, but I love hearing about what others find.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob baronmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have always wanted to do this, but I was always too chicken that I would get caught and get in trouble. I would love to find some of the things that you guys have found. I guess the best thing I have gotten along the road is two pieces of lawn furniture with cushions. Needs to be restained and have one board fixed, but it works and doesn't look too too bad.

BTK
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know a woman who goes dumpster diving every Sunday morning and they always hit the Aldi's dumpster and find lots of stuff. Especially fresh fruits and veggies wrapped. They also hit the rental places dumpsters at the end of the month and find lots of nice things.

A good time to go diving is when the colleges let out for the semester. Lots of things that get thrown away there.

They also go to petsmart and usually take the dog and cat food that's been thrown away to a no kill animal shelter and they're thankful to get it.

I think the key is to find a place that you can hit regularly and do it.

They also don't get IN the dumpsters, but they do carry a long pole so they can move things around and see what's in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have probably one of the best dumpster poles ever. It's nice PVC pipe with a long metal hook on the end. I've picked fax machines and computer monitors out of the dumpster many at times and it's never broken.

I've heard several people say that colleges are a great place to find things. I went last year at a college near here and we got a couple of box fans and a decent Pentium 1 computer from the curb. There were also lots and lots of cinder blocks (which I can't explain)

I've gotten into some of the nastiest dumpsters EVER. The computer place that we used to go to had a chinese buffet right next to it. Sometimes when we went, especially if we went off schedule, we had problems with the two places sharing dumpsters. I can't eat chinese food anymore.

Dollar General was one of the places we used to catch every once in a while, they occasionally threw away all kinds of plastic plates, cups, spoons, toys. All kinds of neat little free things.

If you're too afraid then try to find someone near you who has gone before. I actually met a guy who goes twice a week. I'll post more about this guy later. I just found this nice little guide on d.diving here, kuro5hin.org/story/2003/1/29/215523/088

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kebert

I've heard several people say that colleges are a great place to find things. I went last year at a college near here and we got a couple of box fans and a decent Pentium 1 computer from the curb. There were also lots and lots of cinder blocks (which I can't explain)
    Cinderblocks and wood planks are used by many students for makeshift tables and bookcases.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, that sounds about right

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A nearby Goodwill had 2 dumpsters and diving there was our Saturday night activity. I can not believe some of the stuff they threw away. We really did not need anything, but we passed it on. They threw away a lot of canes and crutches, which I would imagine could be sold as aluminum salvage. No books or clothes to wade thru, but lots of goodies. I used a spring type grabber like the handicapped use. We moved, otherwise we would probably still be at it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

o don't dumpster dive but i do curb crawling.

in this neighborhood if you don't want something, put it on the curb and someone will take it.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ohhhh yeah, I love dumpster diving.

I forgot all about this thread, glad it got bumped back up.
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tend to check out what is next to the dumpster. However, did find two longeberger baskets on top of a mass of stuff in the dumpster. Looked like someone had emptied there apartment in 4 dumpsters. Still have the baskets and stand for them. Someone said they would take it while I was taking them out of the dumpster. I of couse said NO I am keeping them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't actually dumpster dived, but I've found a lot of stuff either by the dumpster or at the end of a driveway. I picked up a bunch of baby stuff - exersaucer, high chair - and a chest of drawers at curbside. Whenever I see something curbside I stop to check it out. We don't have as many apartments in the area I live now - but when I was in another area every weekend you could drive down the alleys and see what you could find.

I put out some clay pots and an old suitcase and they were gone very quickly from the end of my drive.
    Goals:
    Lose 25 lbs (exercise at least 3 times/wk/eat healthy)
    Spend less
    Save more $ in ES
    Do three things daily
    Prep for zombie apocalypse

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast