A question about hemming velour pants?
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question A question about hemming velour pants?

I have a pair of velour pants. It is a thick fabric and not a straight leg. I know that turning it up and cuffing would cause bunching because of the bootleg, but I'm also pretty sure this is not the kind of fabric that you can just turn up and sew because of the weight. I don't think it would hang right. So how should I proceed with this? They need to be shortened 2''-3''. I'm totally new to this and have only sucesssfully have hemmed straight leg jeans. I don't want to wreck these pants, they are just darling.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Polly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Did you do a test run by pushing the current hem up into the legs? Is that how you determined it would bunch or were you just guessing? I've hemmed tons of pants and they've always turned out fine. Just measure, remeasure, place pins to mark your new hem line and cut 1 1/2 inches below that. Turn the fabric in 1/2 inch and and then over again an inch and hemstitch. Hand-sewing is the best way to go with hems.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I didn't turn it up but the legs flare so much that they would be extra material. I don't know what to do about that. Should I cut that part away? I also had my doubts that it would hang right because the fabric is so heavy. I'm afraid it won't have a sharp clean hem. I don't think I should iron it to crisp it because of the nap.The fabric has a bit of give also. I've been reading sewing books and they say this type of material shound not be turned up to hem, that I should use a Hong Kong hem, whatever that is???? The other book I read said I should turn it up and use some type of webbing??? I'm totally confused, I've never heard of such things and I'm unsure how to proceed. I learn best by watching people do things and these text sewing books are rather confusing.

Thanks,
    Polly
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 09-23-2008 at 01:22 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I've never done one of these but it looks nice.~

http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/1202
    Last edited by nuisance26; 09-23-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I had another thought....I often work backwards with clothes I want to alter to learn new sewing tricks. Can you use a seam ripper to undo the current hem? Then you'll be able to see how they trimmed the flare to make the hem crisp. Then just copy the hem and tricks they may have used to make your new hem line.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a good idea! I really don't want to wreck these pants. That Hong Kong hem seems VERY complicated for me a beginer. I never learned how to sew when I was younger, other then fixing a seam or sewing on a button. I have hand sewn curtains, but they were VERY simple. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to try that.