How can I make a sash for my son's badges?
    Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How can I make a sash for my son's badges?

My son has earned some Jr. Ranger badges from the Grand Canyon. He has 2 now and most national parks offer a Jr. Ranger program. I was thinking about making him a dark green/brown sash. I'm very, very new to sewing.

Is there a pattern for this or some guidance on the 'net or something you ladies can suggest?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Buy a Boy scout sash at the boy scout store. or order one online although I don't know about shipping. They are not that expensive. I hate to say it but you could also buy it ,pattern it for size and return it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You don't need a pattern for a sash. Let me see if I can explain this in a way that will make it sounds as easy as it is! You really only need two long skinny rectangles. Enough to go from hip to hip and over his shoulder. Basically, you'll have the sash and let's call it a liner!

Pin the two together with the fabric you want showing facing inward on both pieces. Sew the two long sides together and make a long tube. Flip the tube inside out to hide the seams.

Then take the sash, put it on your son to measure where you want the seams to come together on his hip. You'll want to pin it on a diagonal, so that it rests flat against his hip (does that make sense). Then sew up the seam, just make sure that you sew the seam on the "inside" of the sash, so the raw seam isn't sticking out!

It really would be an easy concept, hopefully you were able to get some glimmer of the idea from my explination!