Do you stockpile finished items?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb Do you stockpile finished items?

~My dishcloths were getting ratty so I went to my t-shirt stash to cut some more out when I had a thought. What if I didn't wait until I actually needed something to sew it?
    I was saving white cotton t-shirts for dishcloths but hadn't realized I'd saved 6 of them. I cut them all up and sewed up 18 dishcloths this afternoon. I tied a piece of scrap yarn around sets of three and started a stockpile.
    It just occurred to me that if I made up a bunch of stuff I may not need now(hankies, swiffer covers, dishcloths, tote bags, pretty gift bags, cloth napkins, gifts with no set recipient in mind)I would be storing no more than I am now but it'd be a tote of useful and valuable stuff.
    I could "shop" from my tote.
    I'd always have a little something to take as a hostess gift or last minute present.
    I could just give away or donate anything that had been in the box too long.
    Maybe it 's just me but the mental work of thinking about what to make for someone and planning the time near the event to actually make it can be overwhelming to me.
    Does anyone "stockpile" finished items?
    What kinds of items do you make and put away?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always make and stockpile things - cannot help myself since I used to make so many different things for resale - either at our shop of wholesaleing - cannot break the habit of making multiples.

Off the top of my head, here's what I have on hand now.....

Dishcloths
    Scubbies
    Plastic bag holders
    mini potholders
    scrunchies
    lanyards
    cloth nakins
    luggage tags
    dishtowels

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, now I wish I knew how to sew and had a machine..

We had a business and our cleaning supply company told us to throw away any raggedy rags we might find when we get our supply as their up grading.. I asked the delivery man what they considered raggedy and he said, stained, a hole, etc. Well, I have a large stock of cleaning rags now. There was no way I was gonna just throw them away..

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

dishcloths
    hats and scarves
    baby items

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    Does anyone "stockpile" finished items?
    What kinds of items do you make and put away?~
    Is the key word here "finished".....

For finished items I have:

potholders
    hot pads
    shopping bags
    picture holders (only 2)
    crochet needle holders
    totes - all sizes from large to small

For ---'finished as they are going to get' ---I have:

quilt tops --GOBS OF THEM!! Only quilt them if I am going to use them.
    table runners - quite a few---some seasonal (Xmas) that I won't use.

Probably have more but all I can think of now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I love that some of you do this! I'm putting some of your ideas on my list. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile lots of things. Basically I get a little fanatical about it. Like cloth hankies. Went and bought a whole bunch of mens hankies. And they are still going strong.

I keep things like old shower curtains and sheets. Comes in handy when needing something to put in the car when buying plants. Also use them to cover the floor when painting. I did end up throwing some out since there were more than I could ever use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Gift bags and 20 hankies went into my stockpile this week!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have started to stockpile gifts as well. I am embroidering kitchen towels with Christmas motifs on them, will get them ready for gifts for the holidays. I might do some this weekend with more fall or just flowers on them. I stock up on the towels when I go to TJ Maxx or Home Goods. You can get some really nice plain white kitchen towels for really cheap there. They make great gifts, people like personalized embroidery items.

I am also going to start making some fabric bowls and totes and such to stock pile. I have SOOOO much fabric, I am trying to make things without buying any more!

Great thread and ideas! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This was at the bottom in similar threads... aka.. archives. Thought might be worth bring to the front again.

I don't have a lot of blankets. I mean.. this IS Florida. However it does get cold for awhile for 2 or 3 months or hopefully it does... least to cut the utility bills. But I do have quite a few throws most of which the kid has bought but we all use them. I keep a couple on the bed at the bottom to use and sleep on one versus lying on cold sheets. Also keep a couple on the couch.

I bought a cheap $5 coffeepot after feeling forced to buy a $74 one at Walmart and wasn't what I wanted in first place. The $5 one isn't fancy but if the $6 one I bought at the thrift store blows up I have one until I can find another one with limited bells and whistles.

I have enough towels/washcloths to never have to do a partial load and can even wait for a 2nd. I think that's a stockpile.

I have enough books to last me a long long time. Especially as I tend to read my favorites over and over... and over and I'm fine with that. I also have a few so that if I get tired of my old standbys I can read a new one. Thank you Goodreads contests

I don't craft so don't have those items.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/ June
    $16.14

Grocery Challenge/June
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.57

Eat Out No More June
    Goal 20
    Accomp/18

No Spend Challenge June
    Goal 12
    Accomp/8

Change Jar 2017
    $

Christmas Fund 2017
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for bumping
    just recently took down the dish clothes,dish towels and winter hat and glove collections I buy at the end of winter (2 yrs ago)(upstairs closet)
    I have a fully stocked OTC meds/hygiene items,medical needs for injury closet
    I am overstocked on laundry and cleaning supplies,tp,paper towels,HH cleaners
    I need to go get a stack of towels from Sams
    We are stocked thru the winter w/ Softener salt,oil,generator spray,antifreeze,windshield washer fluid,(garage)
    Office supplies-xtra cartridges,printer paper,cedar chest)
    Christmas-bags,paper,tissue paper bsmt/telephone bench

Batteries,kitchen supplies I have 2 of many things.etc. I am not going w/o because of layoffs.I am not going out in storms, and its so much cheaper to buy off season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Forgot about batteries. I have a good collection of the AAA and a couple Ds which aren't used much anymore.

Also have quite a few flashlights from a couple lantern type to regular to small. Some are regular and some are LED. I have them spread out from the bedroom to living room to one magnet one on fridge. Our electric company sucks. Oh.. also have a small LED table light sitting here beside me so if it goes out I can just reach.

Older post above mentioned gifts. I have a very few but I do have some. This past Christmas I used gift cards that I had on hand from the past and still have a few of those. This year I'm doing My Points and Swagbucks so will accumulate a few more that I'll use this next one.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/ June
    $16.14

Grocery Challenge/June
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.57

Eat Out No More June
    Goal 20
    Accomp/18

No Spend Challenge June
    Goal 12
    Accomp/8

Change Jar 2017
    $

Christmas Fund 2017
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had at last count 39 crocheted dishcloths. Just because I enjoy crocheting dishcloths.

I only stopped because I felt like we had to many. Now I am crocheting lap blankets. They take longer than dishcloths, so it will take a while before I get a big stockpile.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Niko-we got Dh a charger and the batteries for AA and AAA. So I hope to use less dollar store batteries. they dont last long and were perfect for kids toys. But things like the furnace thermostat-not so much. Buying reg. batteries is costly even w/ coupons so hopefully the charger thing will give us headway. DD bought it for him for Christmas and I went and got another set of AA and A's at Best buy on sale.

I used to keep xtra kids clothes and shoes,shower curtains and liners and so much more. Too much to handle now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I'm another one who stockpiles finished items. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but there are dishrags, Lots of baby items like crib sheets, bibs and quilts....a denim quilt, a sockmonkey quilt...several poncho/hat sets.
    I'm a bit of a packrat when it comes to cheap craft supplies- whenever socks, tshirts or jeans cannot be mended, they are made into potholder loops(socks) rug yarn (denim & tshirts) or quilts,totes,whatever (denim).
    I also have a bunch of earrings, painted decorative wooden thimbles, and painted ceramic & wooden Christmas ornaments in the stockpile as well

17. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast