Repurposing flat sheets into lounge/pajama pants :)
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Repurposing flat sheets into lounge/pajama pants :)

I found this idea online and thought it was perfect for sharing here because it's quite thrifty -- you can either use an old sheet that you have in the house or find one at a thrift store or a garage sale for cheap. I bought my sheet at the Salvation Army for $1.99.

Basically, all you do is use the flat sheet as your fabric for cutting a lounge pants pattern. If you can find a vintage sheet with some sort of a fancy trim at the top, you can line the pattern up so that you cut that as the "cuff" of the pant and your bottom hemming is already done for you! Plus, the material is broken in and soft.

I used the Simplicity It's So Easy pattern for unisex lounge pants, number 9871, which was $2.44 at Walmart but can be gotten at Hobby Lobby every now and then for 99 cents. There are a ton of these basic patterns out there though. You could get 2 pairs out of a Q or K size sheet, or several pairs for kids out of any other sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These would be very fun with a fun flannel sheet.

You might not need a $2.44 pattern if you have lounge pants that fit. fold them in half length wise that is the pattern for the leg add a edge around it for the seam allowance and a bit extra for the fold over at the waist and a bit extra for the seam at the legs of the pants.

Cut four of these.

If you do need a pattern they are on sale at fabric store often for half off as well as Hobby Lobby for cheap ( as mentioned in OP).
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    These would be very fun with a fun flannel sheet.

You might not need a $2.44 pattern if you have lounge pants that fit. fold them in half length wise that is the pattern for the leg add a edge around it for the seam allowance and a bit extra for the fold over at the waist and a bit extra for the seam at the legs of the pants.

Cut four of these.

If you do need a pattern they are on sale at fabric store often for half off as well as Hobby Lobby for cheap ( as mentioned in OP).

Wow! What a great idea Imagine! I have yards of this great Tartan material that has a bit of stretch to it. I had planned on making a skirt, but I think I'll have fabric leftover. This would be a great thing to do with that extra fabric!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Wow! What a great idea Imagine! I have yards of this great Tartan material that has a bit of stretch to it. I had planned on making a skirt, but I think I'll have fabric leftover. This would be a great thing to do with that extra fabric!
    The tartan fabric would be beautiful for pj pants.

The sheet idea was the original posters idea. Fun flannel sheets would be fun. I also ike the OP ideas of ones with a pretty trim to have as the cuff of the pants.

Now the no pattern idea was mine but not everyone can work without a pattern. I work better without patterns. Go figure.

I think if I make these I will make a matching doll pants for Little Miss's doll.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thats a GREAT idea! None of us like sleeping with top sheets - now I have something useful for them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by karichelle View Post
    I found this idea online and thought it was perfect for sharing here because it's quite thrifty -- you can either use an old sheet that you have in the house or find one at a thrift store or a garage sale for cheap. I bought my sheet at the Salvation Army for $1.99.
    Did you make the pants pictured? They are pretty.

If you did make them Flannel, knit or cotton fabric?

Have you had a chance to wear them yet?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For a beginner like me who benefits from instructions on the actual construction of the garment, the pattern was a plus. It is actually a two-piece pattern, so if you folded the pants in half the way they do the pants at Christopher and Banks (sides together) you'd have what this pattern produces.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Did you make the pants pictured? They are pretty.

If you did make them Flannel, knit or cotton fabric?

Have you had a chance to wear them yet?
    I did make the pants in the picture -- sewed them yesterday from the pattern I mentioned and finished them last night with a bit of frustration turning the tube of the drawstring and feeding it through the buttonholes. I washed them today and will wear tonight. They are cotton percale type material...very soft.

The actual cutting and sewing part took about an hour and a half with all of the pressing and such...minus the couple of hours messing with the tube.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

a bit of frustration turning the tube of the drawstring and feeding it through the buttonholes
    Whenever I have to feed a string through a buttonhole, I attach a safety pin to the end and feed it through. I find it so much easier to shove the solid pin through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    Whenever I have to feed a string through a buttonhole, I attach a safety pin to the end and feed it through. I find it so much easier to shove the solid pin through.
    That's what I was doing, but it was a very tight fit with the length of the buttonhole. Next time I will make it longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For a beginner like me who benefits from instructions on the actual construction of the garment, the pattern was a plus. It is actually a two-piece pattern, so if you folded the pants in half the way they do the pants at Christopher and Banks (sides together) you'd have what this pattern produces.
    Even when I was a beginner I didn't like ( do well) with patterns.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you did a great job on the pants in the picture for someone with not much experience.

I would love to learn how to sew these and it would save so much money since my kids are hooked on the sleeping pants from Old Navy. I can't even sew on a button

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They are super easy to sew! Mostly straight seams except the crotch seam and it's a gentle curve. The pattern was a little hard to understand in some aspects the first time through, but the 2nd time through I made them in an hour.