Frugal Village Forums banner

sewing machine help

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Brat 
#1 ·
i got a singer 1802 off craigslist

the top thread wraps around the bottom bobbon..im guessing thats bad because i cant get it to go any futher after that either the needle will stop or the fabric...

sewing novice here

#2 ·
#5 ·
The only other suggestion I have is to triple check the threading and the bobbin. When that happens to me it is usually because the thread has popped out of a channel someplace, or I didn't put the bobbin in right and run the thread around the hook that mine has.

Reactions: sahm2boys
#6 ·
i think the bobbin is coming out of the hook that it goes around ..i haveto re-bob (? lol) and re-thread constantly...one minute the top thread breaks the next the thread has wrapped around the bobbin..or the fabric wont move...

#7 ·
How old is the thread? Did it come in the machine? It could have started to deteriorate, or it might just be bad, cheap thread. Try a different spool, and a newly wound bobbin.

And don't get too frustrated, this happens to everyone, even experienced sewers. I'm fighting the tension on mine right now. It was working perfectly less than a week ago. I have a quilt to finish for class tomorrow and of course TODAY it acts up.

#8 ·
Trouble shooting your sewing machine:

If the bunching is underneath, the issue is normally above. If the gathering is on top, it's usually a bobbin issue.

So let's run through the possible things.

is your presser foot down? If the presser foot is not down, then there is no tension resulting in the wrapping of the bobbin.

re thread the machine, it might have missed a pressure disc some where. It will cause the same thing.

What is the tension set at? if it's too low, it will do the same as above. I have foudn little fingers like to play with these settings when I'm not looking.

#9 ·
When you put the bobbin in the holder, lower the threaded needle to pick up the bobbin thread to the top of the throat plate. As mommy4ever said, have the presserfoot down. Yep, been there...not a pretty sight. When you start the first few stitches hang on to the 2 threads so they don't get pulled in the bobbin area. Wish you lived closer, I'd have you over for a cuppa and play with the machine.

piney

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.