I'm so LUCKY, Sewing.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi all! This is my first visit here and I stumbled upon this post. LOVE to sew!! I'm currently working on making a quilt for our daughter out of her old baby clothes. I've got the top done but this weekend hope to work on the border, batting and backing. I've also got fabric to make my granddaughter a little top and matching shorts. Next up is another quilt!
    Last edited by hikr00; 05-26-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: wrong word used

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your quilt will be a treasure!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This afternoon I made 8 tshirt bags. All the tshirts were given to me. They are really nice, but I don't know about carrying a lot of cans in them.
    But I can see them used for beach bags, shoe bags, shopping bags, laundry bags, library book bag, overnight bag... I just think a lot of cans may
    stretch the shirt..maybe not. I guess I will try it! I got my idea here on FV. I googled "tshirt bags" and found many how-to's. I think I used Martha
    Stewart. All the tshirts have a cute saying. I can see dressing them up with felt flowers. I even thought using a plain tshirt, along with a permanent
    marker, have friends sign their names, & being used as a school bag! Just endless ideas....
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Lee View Post
    but I don't know about carrying a lot of cans in them.
    . I just think a lot of cans may
    stretch the shirt..
    I have found that they will stretch some but not bad and it depends on the quality of the cotton too........some brands are worse than others.

If I am going to put cans in them, I will try to use one of my smaller bags. (just for the weight factor, if nothing else!)

Don't forget to WASH THEM REGULARLY.............was reading where they think that is going to be our 'next big problem' ( and this is always one of the arguments that the 'bag makers' use when a state wants to pass a law outlawing plastic!)........people are getting better about using the bags but SELDOM wash them...........article said some of them carry tons of germs/bacteria..........ran all mine through the wash after reading article.......I always forget about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're really getting to be a germophobic nation. But mine could use a wash job too. I do wash ours now and then but haven't done it lately.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A city on the west wide has done away with plastic bags (Issaquah).................so it is coming. And they charge for paper, so I am not paying!

I found a t-shirt that I was going to give to GW and pulled it back out of the bag to make a shopping bag..........it is smaller and would be great for some of the heavy things. It was a 'left over' from when I sold them........YEARS AGO.........and I had painted on it, so it won't be so plain either.

Really bad when you start pulling things OUT of the GW bag!!! (did that with a pair of shoes, last year, too!!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pull stuff out every once in a while too. It's worse when you give it away and then realize you need it after all.

So on Maui, can you still buy plastic trash bags? I'm assuming yes, but just wondering.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a really cute tshirt bag. I used a plain black tshirt. I cut out a large circle from a cut off sleeve of another tshirt in blue & white. I cut a stem, 2 leaves, & sewed a flower on the black bag. Cute! Guess what?.... on Craigslist someone is wanting "free tshirts for crafts". Do you think they are making bags too?
    Another project for you:
    Take a potholder that has a center loop hanger. 2/1.00@ the $Tree, 1.09 for 2 @ Forks, 1.00ea @ DG, make sure there is a center loop hanger not one @ the corner. Fold potholder in half, sew sides together, leaving loop holder top side open, sew button on -no loop side- in center, use loop to close. Potholders come in all sizes, designs, buttons in all shapes & colors. I used vintage buttons. Sewed a few on the front side of the clutch for decoration. Yes, now I'm calling them clutches, not potholder thingamajigs. I handed them out to family. 1 sister is using hers for her glasses. I sold one for 2.00. Friend of family, I would think you could get 2.50 for them. Enjoy sewing!
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The t-shirt bag sounds cute, AL. Way to repurpose!

I got my shirt bag made up too.........didn't do anything fancy.........it is now in my car and I have used it once.

I MUST REMEMBER to take the bags into the store with me. Do better if they are on the passenger front seat......instead of in back!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It gets to be a habit after a while. I have over a dozen we take almost every time. They live in the pantry, hanging from a hook. It's a habit now, gather up the shopping lists, coupons, money, and bags. On the rare occasions we forget, it's annoying to have to put up with plastic. Even my husband is trained now.

I made some bags out of ripstop nylon, double thickness. They're shaped like plastic shopping bags and fold up like those blanket/pillow things that fold into an attached pocket. My husband keeps them in his van so if he needs a bag, there they are. Works out great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made a t-shirt bag years ago and really enjoyed how useful and easy it was. Right now I have canvas bags that I use. They are large and very durable. They look very similar to llbean bags. Only reason I have them is that a store was going out of business and they were about 2-3 dollars each. Yup, I went crazy and purchased a bunch. After all some would make good presents also. I get a ride to the grocery store and we are "allowed" three bags per person. I say "allowed" because some drivers don't care how many bags you have and some are sticklers. Anyway these bags are very large and bigger than the regular cloth shopping bags so I am technically able to purchase what I need without worrying about bags. But they are so nice to have and can't imagine why I never used them before!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    I get a ride to the grocery store and we are "allowed" three bags per person. I say "allowed" because some drivers don't care how many bags you have and some are sticklers. !
    Is this riding on a bus?

I often wondered how the city buses here handle the shopping part.........the bags and stuff.......or if someone has to take the bus to do laundry----can't imagine doing that as most apt. complexes have their own laundry area.......but it must happen.

I have a bunch..........GOBS.......of them too, as a wasteful friend was going to just 'chuck' a bunch that were given to her, and I couldn't stand it and took them all. I STILL enjoy making them though.

I just think making any kind of tote is fun.....but guess there is a limit!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just cleaned out my sewing room AGAIN last week and swear that is it going to stay clean and that I am going to actually USE that room for sewing and creating wonderful things. My problem is that my DD gets in there with her girlfriends and they create stuff and leave the mess for me to clean up. Just drives me NUTS!!!! I am hoping to get back to making some quilted purses...i LOVE those things is big bright colors and patterns for summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Um, no. They make the mess, they clean the mess. Be sure to schedule the cleaning during a very inconvenient time for them, like in the middle of a movie they're seeing with their friends.

One of our social workers used to ground her kids for fifteen minutes at a time. The fifteen minute sentence had to be served at times like 9:20 PM on a Friday night, when all the kid's friends were doing fun stuff and her kid had to leave the fun and go home for fifteen minutes. She didn't really have too much trouble with her kids doing things they knew they'd get grounded for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

spirit deer... im so borrowing that idea... love it my kids are older so spanking wont work-(well it probably would but most of their 'grounding offenses' are mouth related) thanks for sharing.

i've been wanting to make some bags for a while just needed inspiration. and i just went through some t'shrits mom sent over (i can neither dress nor feed her grandchldren- lol or so she thinks. I take what she offers and usually pass it along to those who can use whatever it maybe) this time it was for ds- he likes 2 sizes up for his shirts so he didnt want any of the dozen.... i can make bags out of them. and most have a pocket so i can make a pouch to save space.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grounding kids for fifteen minutes worked great, I guess, especially if it was timed so that by the time the grounding was over, it was too close to curfew for them to go out again. So in effect it cut their evening short.

We never actually used this technique ourselves. It was just too complicated with five teens at one time. But I could see how it could work great. What our worker did was ground them for something like two or three hours, but then that time was broken up to inconvenience the kid as much as humanly possible. In effect I think it ended up being worse than being grounded for a day or so. When our worker told us about it, it cracked me up because it was so delightfully devious.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast