ready to sew again!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default ready to sew again!

Hi everyone! I have been out of the loop for a bit but I am ready to dust off my machine and start back up. I am really wanting to learn to make some quilts from scrap fabric (kids old clothes, ect) Does anyone have any tips or sites with basics? I have never quilted before so I know nothing!
    Holly

My blog: www.littlebitoflifetn.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. Bonnie Hunter has a great website and is the champion of scrappy. Quiltville.com I have made many string blocks and no 2 are ever alike. If you try one, be sure to wash the muslin yardage first! It shrinks and since you mentioned using cut up clothes, that fabric will be preshrunk.

piney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to see you are getting started.............you will be hooked in no time! What tools do you have?

A rotary cutter is a MUST............IMHO!!

This might help you with some terms and to get you started..............there are some ads but you can easily 'read around' them.

Learning Quilting Basics First

GOBS of stuff on the web.........google what you need and am sure you will get tons of results. Even fun to look at pictures of quilts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have not posted here before, but I am sewing again after a long time. I need my head examined--I'm making doll clothes for 18" dolls. I have 4 GDs and they have these dolls. I got several patterns off E-BAY, and I do have some material that I can use. We have a Good Samaritan Thrift Store run by the Presbyterian Church, and I bought several nice lined skirts and other clothes for 50cents and 25 cents. The lined skirts I ripped apart and I plan on making capes for the dolls. The Consignment Store here had a $1.00 clearance sale a couple of weeks ago. GD12 was here and wanted to go look. She found a new purse for a $1.00. I bought 2 formals for a $1.00 each to make dolls clothes. I live in a small town -2700 population. The nearest Goodwill and Salvation Arma are probably 50 miles away. I just don't go that way very often. Ya'll are really inspirations with all that you sew. Lynda

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you're going to be working with old clothes there are a few things you should know. First, try to use fabric that are all the same weight, like shirts and light pants. Don't mix delicate blouse fabric with something heavy like denim, it will cause the lighter fabric to rip out.

If you plan to use t-shirt knits and similar fabrics you need to get a lightweight iron on stabilizer. Cut the shirt open and apply a big piece to the wrong side of the shirt before cutting any patchwork pieces. This will keep your pieces from curling up and will make them easier to sew. Stabilizer is cheap, you can get yards for only a few dollars.

There's a lot less usable fabric in old clothes than you think.

Joann's regularly has batting on sale for 40-50% off, and they have coupons all the time too. You should never need to pay full price for it.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks ya'll! I do have a rotary cutter. I actually have a good stash of supplies as I have done basic sewing for a while. I have just never made a quilt. I want to also make some thicker quilt like panels to go in my windows for winter if anyone has ideas for something like that!
    Holly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made one of the capes for the dolls yesterday. The skirt I bought at the Thrift Shop cost 25cents. It really turned out good. It was long with a hood. CH suggested JoAnn's when they have a sale. The nearest one is probably 70 miles from me. So far I'm happy using the used clothes I have bought and my stash. My mother and grandmother were both seamstresses. My mother made wedding dresses, drapes, upholstered furniture and my grandmother was a quilter also. They both crocheded and my grandmother tatted. I crochet, cross stitch, and sew. I've tried to teach my self to knit but no luck. GD12 and I made some pillows while she was here. She did the sewing and did a great job. Lynda

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaof9 View Post
    CH suggested JoAnn's when they have a sale. The nearest one is probably 70 miles from me.
    Their sale prices are good online, too. If you get on their mailing list you can take advantage of the free shipping when they offer it, and have stuff delivered.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I kind of run into the problem of not having a Joanns close to me. It is about an hour drive to the closest one. Our walmart does however stock a lot of sewing supplies and fabric at reasonable prices so that helps.
    Holly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hmcart View Post
    I kind of run into the problem of not having a Joanns close to me. It is about an hour drive to the closest one. Our walmart does however stock a lot of sewing supplies and fabric at reasonable prices so that helps.
    Like CH said.......sign up for the mailing lists. And Hancock's too............among others.

I have signed up for quite a few---though some have very expensive fabric and seldom even buy when I am offered free shipping. Nancy's Notions is another one that will offer free shipping (sometimes!)........but has limited material..........though I have ordered from them. Not so cheap so I only buy things that are on sale.........and KNOW YOUR PRICES.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

franny, I just spent some time on the site you linked. It is great for beginners!
    Holly