Sewing for Beginners - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sewing On Shank Buttons

Dateline: 02/29/00
    Buttons come in two basic types, flat buttons and shank buttons. A shank button has a part that you sew on, which is raised on the back of the button. The depth of the shank is variable and something you should watch for when choosing a button. If you are looking for a button to close a heavy wool coat, you will want a deeper shank then if it is for closing a light weight jacket.

Shank Buttons add tremendous decoration and dimension to a garment. Using a few pointers to sew them on will make them tight and secure.
    http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa022900a.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~ Dee ~~
    8 Years Cancer FREE!
    25 July 2003

Married to my sweetie, Jack 25 yrs.

Mama to 27 furbaby 'Katz' (as my hubby calls them LOL)
    Nicky, Snowy, Olga, Ralphie, Sidney, Oliver, Fonz, Audra, Hoss, Peanut, Madeline, Tigger, Alice, Poppy,Teddy Bear, Mittens, Conan, Sherman, Trapper, Radar, Maxie, Annie, Rocky, Kali (AKA P.I.T.A), Jethro, Chewy Lewy, and Chance!

Don't forget to do self examinations monthly and have regular mammograms!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sewing On Shank Buttons continued.....

Buttons are so versatile today that they are also used in all kinds of projects. Looking at Button Crafting Ideas gives you an idea of the options available to you. Be creative and use buttons to embellish your garments.

Directions To Sew On A Shank Button

Materials list:

Needle and Thread
    Scissors
    Your button(s)
    A small clear button, or a small button which matches the inside of the garment.

Procedure For A Shank Button

Locate where you will be sewing the button on to the garment.
    Place the needle into the fabric, starting at the back side of the garment, bringing it up through the garment.
    Make two or three stitches in the fabric, without the button to anchor your thread.
    Place the small button over the anchor stitches, on the inside of the garment. Make one set of stitches to anchor this inside button. This button is optional, but if the button is going to get a lot of use, it will protect your fabric fibers from wearing and possible tearing.
    Bring the needle up to the top of the garment, bring the thread through the button shank and back through the fabric.
    Pull the stitch semi tight. The shank should still stand up over the fabric.Use a toothpick or pin to allow ease in your stitches if you need to. Do Not pull the threads tight enough to ste the shank into the fabric.
    Stitch through the back button and up through the shank again, repeating to have about 6 stitches holding your shank button on to the garment.
    ~~ Dee ~~
    8 Years Cancer FREE!
    25 July 2003

Nicky, Snowy, Olga, Ralphie, Sidney, Oliver, Fonz, Audra, Hoss, Peanut, Madeline, Tigger, Alice, Poppy,Teddy Bear, Mittens, Conan, Sherman, Trapper, Radar, Maxie, Annie, Rocky, Kali (AKA P.I.T.A), Jethro, Chewy Lewy, and Chance!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sewing On Shank Buttons continued........

Bring the needle up to the under the shank button and wrap the thread around the threads which are holding on the shank button. Create a loop of thread on one side of the threads and bring the needle aground through the loop. Pull the threads tight. Make at least three blanket type stitches around the threads that are holding on the shank button.
    ~~ Dee ~~
    8 Years Cancer FREE!
    25 July 2003

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sewing On Shank Buttons continued....

Bring the needle to the back of the fabric, knot it off and cut.

Tips And Tricks:

Be sure to pull the entire length of thread through the layers before starting a new stitch, to prevent a knotted mess.
    Use a thread color that is a close match your garment, so that only the button stands out.
    If your fabric is made up of wide fibers and loosely woven, make your stitches wide enough to catch a few fibers and prevent all the wear on one fabric fiber.
    Use button and carpet thread or quilting thread rather then all purpose thread, for extra strength.
    If you have lost the original button, you may be able to "steal" an original button from a normally unseen area, such as the shirt tails. Some garments are purchased with extra buttons sewn on to the inside of the garment. If you purchase a garment that comes with extra buttons packaged with the tag, take a few moments to sew on the extra buttons in an inconspicuous area of the garment.
    When ever you are going to discard a garment, remove the buttons and save them. They just may be the button you need in the future.
    Use small beads in place of buttons on small doll clothes.
    ~~ Dee ~~
    8 Years Cancer FREE!
    25 July 2003

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD!

I will start another thread for question and answers.
    ~~ Dee ~~
    8 Years Cancer FREE!
    25 July 2003

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12