Simplicity v.s. Frugality
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Simplicity v.s. Frugality

I am trying to be frugal and to simplify. But I am struggling. For example - cleaning takes a lot of my time. If I have to mix potions to save money and lug stuff up and down the stairs, I get stressed. So, I spend more and get Lysol wipes and swiffer cloths - then feel guilty because I am not going to cheapest way.

I am wondering if sometimes you sacrifice a bit on the frugality end to make your life a little easier and simpler?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I understand where you're coming from...I had a similar experience when I started using cloth diapers....I had to take the extra time and rinse them out before throwing them in the diaper pail...extra time to fold, pin, etc....but when I stuck to it--determined to save money--I became so used to taking the extra time ; it just became second nature to me. I believe that being frugal requires taking the extra time to be so in most cases....and time is something that I just didn't have when I was working. Now that I stay home w/ the kids, i don't think about taking the extra time to save on our finances...I just do it hope this helps.

bg
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Time is money, so often I don't bother with coupons or going out of my way to save 50 cents if I can get something 2 minutes away. I don't really feel guilty about this, as I think about the time I would have lost had I chosen to save 50 cents.

I also don't stock items because I simply don't have the space. So sometimes I may have to let a deal go, because I don't want to have things tumble down on my head when I open a storage closet.

I think its all part of the process anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bg...I agree w/the coupons and not using up the extra gas to save 50 cents with the way gas prices are now. I really don't use coupons b/c I can find better deals buying the store brand. If I am in really bad need of an item,(say that I usually get it from dollar tree), if its a few pennies more at the grocery store where I'll be headed anyway, then I'll pick it up rather than having to drive farther....or if I can wait on that item, I'll just add it to the "dollar tree list" and pick it up when my errands are close to the dollar tree vacinity. Storage space is a precious comodity here too.....there are times when I just can't stuff any more stuff anywhere....there are times when I've stored canned goods under the bed! hey, if it works..hehehe

bg
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I should start storing canned goods on the ground level, instead of an overhead level.

Dunno, why this didn't occur to me sooner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cheryl, for me simplicity is far more important than frugality although I'll always be frugal. However, I threw out all my hankies so I'd have less washing and now buy Ultra Kleenex instead.

I purchase chicken wings already packaged because its easier than having to cook them in the oven and it gives me more time to spend doing things I really enjoy doing.

A few years back I would have been horified at myself to be doing this. Now it doesn't bother me in the least. Yes I want my family to eat healthy. However I want to also spend time with my family which is far more important.

I don't think anyone has to feel guilty because they want to simplify, as long as your not going into debt to do so. Simplicity isn't just about decluttering, its about a lot more. Its finding the balance of not feeling guilty each time we purchase something that goes against our frugality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cheryl, have you ever read Frugal Luxuries by Tracie McBride. Its one of my all time favorite books because it shows how to have simple pleasures and yet be frugal. It changed my view on frugality years ago. I re-read that book at least a couple times a year because each time I do I learn more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by homesteadmamma
    Cheryl, have you ever read Frugal Luxuries by Tracie McBride. Its one of my all time favorite books because it shows how to have simple pleasures and yet be frugal. It changed my view on frugality years ago. I re-read that book at least a couple times a year because each time I do I learn more.
    No. Thanks I'll have to see if my library has it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the first stages of figuring out frugality, I would go to different stores and drive myself bonkers just to save a few bucks! But now I've just figured out it's not worth the loss of time. Yes, I could save more money on groceries if I kept a coupon file and went to different stores, etc, but I just can't afford the time!! I work full time, and so does my SO, so it's just not there. We do enough running around already! I also don't make a WHOLE lot from scratch, but I don't buy TOO many convenience foods. I try to strike a balance between simple foods that are easy to make and convenience foods. Usually the convenience foods are bought when the replacement would take way too much time to make.

I agree that sometimes spending a little bit extra is worth it if you're going to spend too much time otherwise. I do also have that "I shouldn't have bought that" guilt, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had to reassess too. Some of my conclusions:

* For me, coupons aren't worth it. (mostly on things I don't buy; no double coupon stores; and coupons make a MESS!)

* Buying homeschool curriculum that I'll use instead of whatever's cheapest is worthwhile, even when I pay full price.

* Decluttering things that I paid good money for is worthwhile. It increases the peace of our household.

* Donating is easier than reselling.

* OTOH, I enjoy thrift store shopping. So, visiting our local thrift store is worthwhile for me. However, I have stopped dragging the family to the thrift stores when I visit another city.

These work for me. Your mileage may vary.

Kamloops in the central desert area of BC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GOOD POINTS!!!!

great thread!

and I'm another one who makes some choices on the side of simplicity vs frugality.

Look at it this way

When I have more time, I spend it on the frugal adventures I enjoy doing so what I lose on the roundabouts, I make on the swings as the saying goes.

It's important to view life as an adventure, a joyous buffet. Now I happen to like doing some things that are frugal, but to tell the truth, I just plain like the kick they give me.

I enjoy the safari hunt aspect of grocery shopping. I shared a long time ago that inside me I'm yelling "I win!!!!!!!!!!!! I WINNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!" in the middle of the grocery aisle.

But I sure don't let any thoughts of how I didn't get the absolute best savings All the blinkin' time get in my way of that joy!!!!!!!

Perfection is a terrible terrible slavedriver. The pursuit of perfection destroys frugality, simplicity, enjoyment of living and turns us into slaves of whatever adventure we set out on.

The old 80 20 rule applies BIG TIME.

80 % of the benefit of anything you do comes from the first 20% of the effort.

The tiny 20% of the remaining benefit to bring it up to "PERFECT" will COST YOU A WHOPPING 80% MORE EFFORT!!!!

that should help put it into perspective.

Do what you can, don't sweat what you can't!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think life is a matter of balance and priorities, don't frugal yourself into stress, and don't indulge into the poorhouse. Having time (making time) for the Lord and family is the top of my list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great thread, daddys3chicks - I'm definitely conscious of this fine balance. I personally approach frugality from the point of view of simplifying my life - which to me means, having less stuff, and more financial security. Other examples are OAMC and menu planning, which can also greatly simplify your life while saving money. I also look for additional opportunities to save as long as the savings justify the effort. What I often do is simple math, figuring out what my savings are per hour. Then, I decide whether an hour of my time is worth this much. In an extreme example, I wouldn't spend an hour of my time to make/save $1, but I would do it for $30.

There are also other benefits to frugality, beyond money, such as health and well-being. For example, using cloth diapers or menstrual pads is actually healthier than using the chemically bleached products, on top of saving you money. Same thing with using natural cleaners. So, while these things are not necessarily the most convenient, I would do them for the greater health benefit. However, were there no health benefits associated with them, I doubt that I would deem it worth my while doing them.

Finally, I'm all with canadian gardener and Goodi2shooz for the 80-20 rule and moderation!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure if this goes with frugality versus simplicity, but one thing that was mentioned above, and I rarely hear anyone when mention when it comes to frugality, is that time is money. For example, I work and make $16.83 per hour. After taxes, $11.82 per hour. Take out for gas money to get to work, lunches for work, etc. figure I net about $10 an hour. So is it worth it to me to drive 1/2 an hour out of my way to save $.65 on gas? No.

I guess another way of putting it is some people have more money than time, and some people have more time than money. So when making a decision on how to do something, you have to consider what you have more of - time or money - and how you want to invest it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

originally posted by Telephus44

I guess another way of putting it is some people have more money than time, and some people have more time than money. So when making a decision on how to do something, you have to consider what you have more of - time or money - and how you want to invest it.
    Well said.

originally posted by daddys3chicks

I am wondering if sometimes you sacrifice a bit on the frugality end to make your life a little easier and simpler?
    Yes. I think I will always buy Clorox wipes. They are so convient and I use them everywhere. Just pull one from the container and wipe. It may cost more, but the time it saves is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast