debating whether to get rid of my chest freezer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default debating whether to get rid of my chest freezer

i am divorced 3 years now, almost 4. my carnivore ex-husband used to fill that freezer with loads of meat, individually wrapped, from sams.

during the divorce and resulting financial difficulties, my boss filled it with deer meat for me, but i am rather burned out on deer meat (grateful!)

the chest freezer is taking up space and using electricity. i no longer want it but the "LDS/food storage/ provident living" part of me says to keep it.

what would you do?
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you aren't keeping it full, then I would get rid of it. It is taking up space and using electricity.

I have contemplated getting a chest freezer, but really wonder if it would really be worthwhile. I can get a fair amount of food in my regular fridge/freezer.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would unplug it, keep it and reassess in a year. You don't know if circumstances are going to change. You might get gifted a deer again then swap it for someone who has a lot of beef.

If it is sitting empty, can you repurpose it for other storage? Can it be used for dehydrating?
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have the same idea as ceashells. I would unplug it and use it for storage of flour, sugar, rice etc. The foods that can get buggy. You will then still have it if you decide to stock up on meat again or it you hit a great sale on ice cream!
    Oct No Spend Days - 14 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 254 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $55 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1140 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a small chest freezer an would never think about getting rid of it unless i moved to a bigger place where i could get an up right.You can put a lot of things in it beside meat i don't eat a lot of meat and most of time i keep mine full saves trips to store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    i am divorced 3 years now, almost 4. my carnivore ex-husband used to fill that freezer with loads of meat, individually wrapped, from sams.

during the divorce and resulting financial difficulties, my boss filled it with deer meat for me, but i am rather burned out on deer meat (grateful!)

the chest freezer is taking up space and using electricity. i no longer want it but the "LDS/food storage/ provident living" part of me says to keep it.

what would you do?
    I live alone (well, a teen that is never home is still around here somewhere) and still have my chest freezer. I have switched from tons of meat to frozen fruits and veggies, tupperwared homemade meals, soft pretzels (ok so they are junk food but I love them!) frozen pizzas (again, junk food but so great after a long week of 2 jobs on a Friday night)

I like the option of having a deep freeze for when things are on sale, when I go to Costco a few times a year, etc.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I, too, am alone. And wouldn't consider getting rid of my freezer.

I don't keep much meat in it but it is great for those leftovers that you get tired of eating........my garden items..........good sales on frozen food.......juice..........or making frozen jam.

Can't imagine not having my freezer.............I have been thinking about getting another one!!

If it isn't full............fill up some milk cartons with water and freeze them...........makes it more economical to run. Or....with summer coming..........make some extra ice cubes......toss them in a veggie bag (like the ones from the store)......and you will be set. If you have an ice maker and don't need the extra cubes............you could always use these in a cooler when going places.

GIVE UP YOUR FREEZER????

In THIS economy!!!???????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    I, too, am alone. And wouldn't consider getting rid of my freezer.

I don't keep much meat in it but it is great for those leftovers that you get tired of eating........my garden items..........good sales on frozen food.......juice..........or making frozen jam.

Can't imagine not having my freezer.............I have been thinking about getting another one!!

If it isn't full............fill up some milk cartons with water and freeze them...........makes it more economical to run. Or....with summer coming..........make some extra ice cubes......toss them in a veggie bag (like the ones from the store)......and you will be set. If you have an ice maker and don't need the extra cubes............you could always use these in a cooler when going places.

GIVE UP YOUR FREEZER????

In THIS economy!!!???????
    LOL!! Hey thanks for the reminder about the ice cubes, those are handy to have tons of when making smoothies. I'll start rotating my trays now!
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    LOL!! Hey thanks for the reminder about the ice cubes, those are handy to have tons of when making smoothies. I'll start rotating my trays now!

My frig. freezer is so full I can only 'run' one ice cube tray..........have to use the produce bags to keep the cubes in. I can manage to get ONE TRAY to lay/stay flat while it freezes but any more than that....nope!!! I can always 'scrunch' the cube bag in somewhere!

That is how my friends know I have "declared summer"..........I get my ONE ice cube tray out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't get rid of my freezer, either. If I was tired of meat, I would still have frozen veggies, fruits, homemade frozen meals, stock, soups, shredded cheese, etc.

As others have said, just unplug it for now, unless you can find something else to store in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If it's not being used for anything, anything at all, I would unplug and let it sit there for a year. Use that time to think about whether or not by not having it...did you wish you did.

We have 2 fridges now...when we move the 2nd one will fit in a utility room but it's going to make a tight squeeze in there. It always has the freezer in it full and alot of the fridge part with runover. I'd love to have the extra room but it will probably go with us. I'd love to save on the electric too. But...
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Oct
    Goal 20
    Accomp/20

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/11

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    If it's not being used for anything, anything at all, I would unplug and let it sit there for a year. Use that time to think about whether or not by not having it...did you wish you did.

We have 2 fridges now...when we move the 2nd one will fit in a utility room but it's going to make a tight squeeze in there. It always has the freezer in it full and alot of the fridge part with runover. I'd love to have the extra room but it will probably go with us. I'd love to save on the electric too. But...
    This is a great tip, in fact I did this myself one year. Money was so tight that I had run out of food for it, debated selling it, but just left it in my garage with the door open and it cleaned out/scrubbed down. Sure enough the next year I was thankful to have it.

Car loan (ugh, again!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

update:
    i emptied it of the remaining deer meat (gonna be a deer meat meatloaf summer!), unplugged it, cleaned it, dried it, opened to completely dry.

i moved it to the entry hall, with a piece of plywood/long tablecloth over it it looks like an 8 foot sideboard. i moved the long mahogany sideboard from the entry hall to the living room, looks nice.

summer hit with a vengeance here in houston, and i am concerned about electricity bills. walked around the house yesterday and unplugged just about everything, including the alarm clock, since school is essentially out.

cleaned the regular fridge coils. yuck.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sound great. We have humidity here so i would put DampRid in ours too. We frequently MT our cube to save electricity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can keep flour meal crackers, ect in it unplugged to keep from going buggy. I use mine alot. meat is so expensive I buy on sale, homemade meals, juice, frozen Pizzas ect. You may not think you will use it. Keep it for awhile and see. My family changes sizes all the time. Went form 2 adults to 3. have 4 adult children 2 with serious significant others and you never know who is going to eat here or not. children always come home when hungry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast