What do you use for soap molds?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What do you use for soap molds?

I would really like to start making soap. I'm going to start with the melt and pour kind and was wondering what types of things you ladies use for molds. I know I can buy soap molds, but don't want to spend a lot of money if I can use things I already have around the house.

What basic equipment should I start out with?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is where you can have fun. Anything can be a soap mold. A frozen orange juice container makes a wonderful round mold. Pvc tubes make great embedding molds..I also use a regular loaf pan ..cupcake tins..umm ive uses pie plates..look around..anything in the kitchen can be used..and look at candy molds, they are cheaper and some make great guest sized soaps..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with terrianne...Most anything can be used for molds.The juice cans and PVC are very popular for soap makers.
    Also check at Michaels,or better yet a thrift shop for candy molds,they make awesome soaps and much cheaper than actual soap molds.

When I made candles, I used everything....pyrex bowls,loaf pans,...anything that would not leak wax....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i found some old loaf pans for almost nothing i use those, i use small bowls, cookie cutters, cookie molds, you can use anything at all. have fun, it is a blast!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use just about everything too....... I use Wilton candy molds I got at a yard sale......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to make soap too. But I don't have the faintest idea how to even begin???

I read something on line about buying soap to make soap???? I'm very confused?

Sorry that didn't help at all I know - just made me remember I'd like to try.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bev,, there are several great sites. http://www.allcrafts.net/ this is where i went before i started they have some great ideas here. HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh WOW that's a great site Heaven - Thank you

I've put it on my favourites, I'll check it out later and if I ever make anything that faintly resembles soap I'll let you know LOL.

The bit I can't get my head round is you buy soap blocks to melt and make soap - is that right? And if so, didn't you have soap before you did anything???? duh - I bet you're rofl at me, I'm so dumb LOL.

Thanks again for the link

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, thanks! Great ideas. The allcrafts website was great! Okay, I'm going for it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i use most anything, washed out milk cartons are good for long rectangles that you can slice apart after tearing the carton off, candy molds for small ones, even have some store bought soap molds, theres tons of ideas in the kitchen, hard plastic storage containers (small tupperware-ish kind), miffin tins (mini muffins make good size ones if you want to put some in a gift basket).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

heavensent- there are two different ways to make soap. one way is melt and pour which is where you buy the blocks of glycerine soap. you cut it up into small peices and melt it then add colors and scents and pour into molds. this is the easiest way to start with soap making.
    the other way is to make lye based soap. this takes more time as you need to be careful when mixing the lye with water and fat to make the soap. lye soap also has to sit and cure to make sure the chemical process is complete before using your soap.
    with melt and pour, all you have to wait for is it to set up before using it.

i hope that clears things up a little bit. there are scores of sites on soap making. type in soap making, melt and pour soap , or lye soap in a search engine and you'll find tons of sites.