I just made....

Thread: I just made....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I just made....

....breast milk soap!

(I know- that probably horrifies some of you.)

I had four bags left over in the freezer from Maggie's long-past bottle days. I couldn't bear to part with them because I had to pump so much just to get 4 oz, so I decided to make Mother's Milk Soap out of it. It is superfatted to about 9% and has a little honey added as a humectant. So, with those and the breast milk, it should be great for Maggie's eczema-prone skin.

Can't wait till tomorrow to see if it came out okay. (Made my own formula using a calculator. Wish me luck!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kimberly, I think this is a great idea. I'm sure it will benefit Maggie's skin. Well done, that is the ultimate recycling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Whoa! I never heard of it before. You sure are brave to use your own formula too. Hope it turns out like you want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorta' had to use my own formula- the only recipe I could find was for a HUGE batch, so I used a calculator where you tell it what percentage of a list of oils you want, and it tells you how much lye to use. You can also tell it what additions you might be adding and what percentage you want it superfatted to, and it spits out the recipe. Obviously, it didn't have breastmilk listed, but I picked goats milk since they are somewhat similar. Just hope it works!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kimberlina, hope it works.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you Kimberly, can't wait to see the results!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Kimberlina
    Sorta' had to use my own formula- the only recipe I could find was for a HUGE batch, so I used a calculator where you tell it what percentage of a list of oils you want, and it tells you how much lye to use. You can also tell it what additions you might be adding and what percentage you want it superfatted to, and it spits out the recipe. Obviously, it didn't have breastmilk listed, but I picked goats milk since they are somewhat similar. Just hope it works!
    Do you have a type of SOAP recipe calculation sheet? I may have access to some goats milk and would like to try small batches. It would be great to be able to figure the lye easily. Please share your formula...
    lacyj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that is awesome! It would be such a shame to waste any amount of breastmilk. And if it helps your daughter's skin, great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks pretty good so far. It is pretty set, but right now it is still a little soft (hasn't even been 24 hours yet.) But I DO think I did something I shouldn't have- I think the round mold I used is too deep. How am I gonna' get the soap out of it without pushing it out? It is lined with wax paper, but I am worried that I will have to push it out and it will get out of shape. (I've never used this mold before- only really shallow square molds.) I have to wait a bit longer before I try, but I will update you then.

Lacyj- here is the site I used. http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/re...s/creator.aspv
    I have seen other lye calculators, but I like this one best. The TLC one doesn't work (literally) for me, and this one lets you superfat after trace so you can choose which oil is superfatted, instead of discounting the lye. It also lets you choose additives (which you can leave blank.)

It seems like you have to be a preferred customer, but you don't. I skipped section one altogether, and I was able to calculate and print without any problem. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that is a great idea!