Frugal Village Forums banner

iso of more soup recipes

6K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  cheles2kids 
#1 ·
I want to make homemade soup once a week. Looking for some tried and true recipes.

#2 ·
I love and always make potato soup (even in the summer) I usually don't measure anything really but I am making some tomorrow night since Joe has to work.

I'll measure this time and post that one and the veggie soup that I make (I add mini elbow macorrini's in mine though). I'll look for that one as well tomorrow.

#3 ·
I can't wait to see the yummy soup recipes!! I want to start making some also. Malcom is really good and just throwing ingredients in a pot and making a delicious soup...I on the other hand need lots of help in this department!!

#4 ·
Easy Tomato Chickpea Soup

Serves 4

This makes a satisfying meal. Serve with a tossed green or a tomato salad and crusty Italian or French bread.

1 15-oz can plum tomatoes crushed or pureed in a food processor
1 3-inch sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 t dried rosemary, oregano or thyme
4 cups beef or chicken broth
2 15 1/2 oz cans chickpeas, drained
5 oz dry pasta (about a cup) - elbow macaroni, or if large pasta break into smaller bits
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/3 cup grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese (this dish has a delicate flavor, taste it without cheese first)
3 T extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly-ground black pepper

In a large, heavy pot, sauté garlic in olive oil till golden.
Add tomatoes and rosemary. Substitute fresh or dry oregano or thyme for the rosemary if you prefer.
Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.

Add the broth; return to a simmer.
Add pasta. While pasta is cooking, puree 1 cup chickpeas in a food processor or mill. Stir the pureed chickpeas into the broth along with the pasta, some salt and freshly ground pepper.
Simmer, uncovered till the pasta is cooked to your taste (6-12 minutes).
Add remaining whole chickpeas and heat thoroughly.
Serve in soup plates. Pass Parmesan if you wish.

Note: The pasta absorbs the broth - the longer it sits, the less liquid the soup will be.

#5 ·
Crockpot Beef Barley Soup

This is a really easy and good soup. Add more beef broth if looking for a very beefy taste and thicken up with cornstarch & beef broth. My family loves this dish and ask for it frequently. The main thing to remember is to NOT STIR the soup until close to the end of cooking time.

1 lb cubed beef stew
2 cups carrots, sliced thin
1 cup celery, thin sliced
3/4 cup chopped green peppers
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup barley
1/4 chopped parsley
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 (10 ounces) can beef broth
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons catsup
5 cups water

Layer in crock pot.
Vegetables and meat.
Barley, beef broth, and spices.
Cover with water.
DO NOT STIR.
Cook on low 10 hours; high 6 hours, or combination of above.

4 servings

#7 ·
The barley box has an excellent beef barley soup on the side panel.

I also like this soup from Weight Watchers:

2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 medium onion(s), diced
2 medium carrot(s), diced
1 medium sweet red pepper(s), diced
1 medium stalk celery, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
2 cup green cabbage, shredded
2 cup Swiss chard, chopped
2 cup cauliflower, small florets
2 cup broccoli, small florets
2 tsp thyme, fresh, chopped
6 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp parsley, or chives, fresh, chopped
1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, optional

Put garlic, vegetables, thyme and broth into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.

Stir in parsley or chives; season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

#8 ·
Vegetable Beef Soup

2 pounds beef for stew or hamburger
1 quart water (4 cups)
4 or 5 potatoes, peeled & chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 or 4 carrots, sliced
3 stalks of celery, sliced
canned or frozen corn
canned or frozen peas or beans
a can of tomato product (see note)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Beef boullion cubes, optional

First off you need 2 pounds of beef. It can be any kind you find on sale, or need to use up. Venison, too, is especially good prepared this way. I have also used hamburger with good results. Hamburger cooks the fastest, and should be fried and drained, before combining with the water and vegetables. Usually I use a small beef roast. Beef is easiest to cut when it is still partially frozen. Slice it up and cut each slice into chunks, about an inch square. Then put the meat chunks into a very big pot, 5 quarts or bigger. Add the water, onion, garlic, and canned tomato product. You could brown the meat first in a little oil, but I never bother with that step. Put a lid on the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the meat for 45 minutes. While it is simmering, you can prepare your vegetables. Use fresh, or frozen or canned vegetables. The raw ones go into the pot after the meat has cooked for 45 minutes. The frozen ones go in about 15 minutes later. And the canned ones go in 15 minutes later still, undrained. The point of juggling the cooking time is so that none of the vegetables get too mushy. You could just put everything in after cooking the meat for a while, and then let things work themselves out. After adding the canned vegetables, continue cooking for about 10 minutes and then serve. The total cooking time, from start to finish, is about an hour and a half, or 90 minutes. The meat needs this long to cook in order to be tender and easy to chew. Add the salt and pepper with the potatoes, and add boullion cubes to taste, if you want to. I usually add boullion because I think they make a tastier soup. If this recipe is too confusing, e-mail me and I will try to write it more clearly. Vegetable Beef Soup is really simple. You just cook meat and vegetables until they are all soft. This recipe makes enough to serve twice. Good with homemade bread.

NOTE: You can use any type of tomato product that you have in the cupboard. A can of tomatoes, or tomato sauce, or tomato paste, or even condensed tomato soup. The size of the can doesn't matter too much either. In a pinch, I have used ketchup, about 1/2 a cup, and had good results. If you have fresh tomatoes to use up along with other garden produce, just chop them all up and add to the soup. They will all cook eventually, and when they cook together, they taste even better

#9 ·
I got this out of an old TASTE OF HOME magazine.

Chicken Vegetable Soup

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup fresh (or frozen) corn
1 small celery rib, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
(salt & pepper as needed)

Combine the first 5 ingridents in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Stir in the chicken and tomatoes and theat through.
serves 2

(I don't like celery so I add a dash of celery salt for flavor and add extra corn, carrots and tomatoes to mine.) This recipe is easy to double or sometimes I just double the broth and the chicken.

Edited to add that sometimes since I add more broth and chicken, I've also cubed up a large baking potato and added it as well.

#10 ·
KKCondrey said:
I got this out of an old TASTE OF HOME magazine.

Chicken Vegetable Soup

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup fresh (or frozen) corn
1 small celery rib, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
(salt & pepper as needed)

Combine the first 5 ingridents in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Stir in the chicken and tomatoes and theat through.
serves 2

(I don't like celery so I add a dash of celery salt for flavor and add extra corn, carrots and tomatoes to mine.) This recipe is easy to double or sometimes I just double the broth and the chicken.

Edited to add that sometimes since I add more broth and chicken, I've also cubed up a large baking potato and added it as well.
Thanks--I'm going to try this one with some leftover turkey. I'm cooking a 12 lb bird soon :)

#12 ·
Tried and true. I make this whenever I have a ham bone,truth be told that's mainly why I buy the ham.:)

~Pea Soup~

16 oz split green peas-rinse & check
9c. water
1 meaty hambone
1 lg onion,chopped
2 chicken boullion cubes
1/2 tsp each garlic powder & oregano
1/4 tsp each blk pepper & ground cloves
1 bay leaf
1+1/2c thinly sliced carrots
1c. sliced celery

Mix all except carrots & celery & simmer 2 hrs. Remove hambone cool a bit and add any meat from the bone and the carrots & celery to the pot. Simmer another hour. Taste and add more boullion if necessary. Remove bayleaf. May also add extra ham if wanted, just cube & toss in to heat through.

#13 ·
Another tried & true

~Ham Chowder~

2c. diced potatoes
1c. green beans, bite size
2 carrots bite size
2T margarine
2c.diced ham
1c. ch.onion
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
3 c. milk
s&p to taste

Cook potatoes, green beans and carrots in water til just tender,drain. As they are cooking saute the onion and ham in the margarine in soup pot. Add all to pot, heat & serve.

#14 ·
Cheeseburger Stew

2lbs grd beef or turkey,cook drain set aside
oil
lg onion diced
1 pepper ,diced.
Saute in soup pot
add
2c. elbows
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, squished with your hands
1 can +1/2 c. water
cover & simmer til macaroni is just about cooked.
Add 6-8 oz. velveeta,cubed. Melt
Return meat to pot heat through check to see if s&p is needed.

#15 ·
One of my Favs. Looks and tastes gourmoo!Easy too!

~Quick Tortellini and Spinach Soup~

2T olive oil
4 slices bacon,diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 medium onion finely chopped
9 cups chicken broth
2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1 lb. frozen cheese tortellini
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes packed in puree
8oz fresh spinach rinse well coarsely chop (may use frozen)
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, garlic and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown. Add chicken broth and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and add tortellini. Simmer until tortellini is cooked (10-12 min). Stir in crushed tomatoes-simmer another 5 minutes. Add spinach-cook until slightly wilted (about 3 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated parmesan.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Michelle
Thanks--I'm going to try this one with some leftover turkey. I'm cooking a 12 lb bird soon :)
Michelle, speaking of a 12 lb bird, I just found this recipe in an old (Oct/Nov 1996) Taste Of Home magazine that featured a lot of soups. Maybe you can use this one and add or subtract things you don't like

Harvest Turkey Soup

1 turkey carcass from a 12lb bird
5 quarts Water
2 large carrots, shredded
1 cup chopped celery
1 large onion, chopped
4 chicken bouillion cubes (or the equivalant in the powder)
1-28oz can stewed tomatoes
3/4-1 cup fresh or frozen peas
3/4-1 cup long grain rice
1-10oz pack frozen spinach, chopped
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Place turkey carcass & water in a dutch oven or soup kettle and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Remove carcass and allow it to cool. Remove the turkey from the bone and cut into bite size pieces. Set aside. Strain the broth. Add the carrots, celery, onion and bouillion and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients to the reserved turkey and add this to the broth after the 30 minutes of simmering is completed. Return to a boil and cook until rice is done..

(you may need to half this if possible unless you think it may freeze because it says it yields 20 servings....lol

#17 ·
This is my favorite soup..... I used to eat it at Bob Even's then I just came home and made it myself...... Everyone I feed this to loves it..... I have it in the Village cookbook....

Easy, Cheesey, Potato Soup..

Ingredients:
6 cups chicken stock or broth,
4 lrg. potatoes (Peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice)
1 cup celery (diced)
3 tsp flour
1 small onion (diced)
1 pint of half and half or heavy cream,
3/4 lb velvetta cheese (cut up for easy melting)

How to Prepare:

In a saucepan, soften the onion and celery just a little, in a larger pan, bring chicken stock to a boil, add potatoes and cook until tender.whip together half and half and flour (No lumps) add to stock, add veggies and heat slowly until thick, add cheese and heat until melted. I sometimes add very small brocoli florettes to this for extra taste and veggies... Serve with a crusty bread or garlic toast

#20 ·
Tomato-Basil Bisque

Ingredients

3 cups peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions

In blender container combine tomatoes, vegetable or chicken broth, and tomato sauce. Cover and blend until smooth. Stir in basil. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 4 side-dish servings.

If you like don't mind chuncky tomato soup you dont need to blend it just add all the ingredients to a pot and heat through stirring occasionally. I've also added shredded carrots to mine and some celery salt (I don't like celery but you could probably add that as well.)

#22 ·
I just discovered this one a couple of weeks ago in one of my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. After tasting it, I made several jars to give as Christmas gifts, and I plan to make up several more mixes in ziplocks to keep in my pantry for quick meals at home.   (This is, as usual, my "edited" version!)

Turkey Noodle Soup in a Jar

In a one-pint, wide-mouth canning jar, layer:

2T dried, minced onion
1T plus 1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 bay leaf (I use crushed- about 1/2 tsp)
1 cup egg noodles, uncooked

Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan, stir in all ingredients from jar (listed above). Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in: a ten-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables (I used a large can instead) and 2 cups cooked, diced turkey or chicken (I used a soup-can size can of chopped turkey). Cook five minutes longer or until meat and veggies are tender.

To give as a gift, layer dry ingredients in a pint jar, seal, and attach cooking instuctions. You might also give a can of vegetables and a can of meat to make the complete meal.

#23 ·
:bump: Some really good recipes here a few of our families tried & true fav's too.

#25 ·
I've posted this one before but here it is again.I got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine.I usally make a pan of cornbread to go with this :)

Slow cooker Vegetable Soup

1 pound boneless round steak cut into ½ inch cubes
1 can (14½ oz)diced tomatoes,undrained
3 cups water
2 medium potatoes,peeled and cubed
2 medium onions,diced
3 celery ribs,sliced
2 carrots,sliced
3 beef bouillon cubes
½ t dried basil
½ t dried oregano
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
1-½ cups frozen mixed vegetables

In slow cooker,combine the first 12 ingredients.Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.Add vegetables,cover and cook on high for 2 hours longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender.

#26 ·
Loaded Potato Soup

6 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 jar Ragu Double Cheddar sauce (cheater way)
1 Chunk of Velveeta cheese about 11/2 in. thick cubes
Sour Cream
Bacon Bits
Chives

Boil potatoes until fork tender. drain all but about 1 cup liquid, add cubed velveeta, stil until smooth then add 1/2 jar of Ragu sauce, simmer for about 10 minutes stirring frequently.

Top with a dollop of sour cream, bacon bits and chives

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.