Frugal Village Forums banner

How to survive a job loss

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  canadian gardener 
#1 ·
Once when I was really sick with asthma I took a year off of work and had to really struggle living on next to nothing. I was so happy to have a stocked pantry full of tp, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, pasta, tomato sauce & veggies. I also really learned who my REAL friends are.

I learned a lot from that year. I learned the importance of an emergency fund and keeping your bills up to date. I also learned about selling your clothes and books for some extra money. I guess that is also why I am feel so strongly about having an emergency fund and showing other people that they can have one as well so that when that rainy day comes . . . you will be prepared.

When I read this article about surviving a job loss I thought how similar things were. About having to make due until a better time comes and about counting your blessings.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03feb10g.cfm

#2 ·
Thanks for the link. We're going through this now and it's nice to know we aren't alone and can make it through this.

#7 ·
I may be facing a difficult time in the not too distant future. Big K is "down-sizing". Our store lost 8 full time long term employees. We still have a few full timers but I worry they will be next to get the axe(after they "train" their own replacements). After that, the logical step (to me anyway) is to do away with any high paid part time employees. I see the store being run by part time employees (totally) within the next year.

Because of the basic rate hike, I am paid the same as any new employee, however, I have worked there for 2 years. I figure my position will not be there in about 4-5 yrs. (Once I make too much).

It's not fair; but what can ya do? Ohio is an "At Will" emloyment state.

So...here is the game plan....Save, Save, Save! Stockpile, Stockpile, Stockpile!

Graci

#8 ·
I didn't realize I had already read this when you originally posted it! I read it again and found it just as helpful! Thanks!

#9 ·
I'm going through that right now. I work part-time and hubby is currently looking for a job. It is hard...but I realize that it can be done. I just hope that once we get back to a two income family that I don't go crazy on the spending to make up for time lost. We eat a lot of cheap food...such as spaghetti and rice and it's not that bad...and probably healthier! lol. Anything can be done if you put your mind to it.

#10 ·
Anything can be done when we set our minds to it. It might be hard work, however I think as a country we really need to take a good hard look at this and work towards self-sufficiency in every way we can.

Just yesterday BCE announce the lay off of 4,000 workers in Canada. The trickle down effect will mean even more. Four thousand doesn't seem like a lot, however it isn't just BCE - it's happening everywhere from Ford announcing a layoff of 25,000 to other companies doing the same. We've seen some of the pulp mills shutting down as well. Once the trickle down affect starts, you'll begin to see more lay-offs.

As Graci says, the time to save and stockpile is when you have a job. Cut back in every area so that when the announcement comes about losing a job, you will have something to fall back on.
North American's are spenders. We need to learn how to become savers!!!

#11 ·
great thread ladies.

Shell I didn't realize what we have in common besides frugality. You'd understand why I make such a fuss over dust and cleaning and dealing death and destruction to dustmites and molds. It makes a real difference in day to day life when you can breathe!:toothy:

Hugs and once more, I am sure glad you are a part of this village. You bring such a lot of fun and so many good tips!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.