Frugal Village Forums banner

new problem

Tags
problem
4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  latierra84 
#1 ·
although I'm not new here I haven't been on much lately partly due to the stupid flu outbreak and also problems with the husbands ex. A little info, in August we got custody of my husbands daughter who is 12. Her mother is a cocaine addict and nobody has heard from her in months. She lost her two kids and her home. Yesterday a new problem came up....I got the mail and low and behold this 12 year old has a $26,000 charge card debt. Seems her mother used her name to get this card. We have no idea when or what else is out there floating around. I tried to get a credit report but since she is under 13 they won't give us any information. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Technically and legally this 12 year old SD is not liable for any of these debts, a person only get's a credit report established at the age of 18 and not before then, I would contact the creditor who issued the card about this situation, most likely if you told them she was 12 ad that their mother is the one who used falsifying information to obtain this CC they would feel dumb and take it as a loss. They can fight it but legally she is not responsible for this debt and neither is her father.

#3 ·
FrugalMomof3 is right- minors can't enter into legally binding agreements like loans or credit cards. If the mom provided fraudulant info then they need to go after her. If you have proof it was the mom, you can file a police report and then send that to the credit card company. You might also consider contacting one of the companies dealing with identity theft (which is what this is) so that you can get help finding out what else is out there.
Hugs

#4 ·
Also, who's SS# did she use? Most often CC companies will not issue a high credit limit to those with an un-established credit report, what's weird is IF the CC company pulled a Credit report they should have seen her date of birth had the mother used the 12 year olds SS#, thusly knowing the person was only 12.

#5 ·
I figured since she was minor she isn't liable but for that amount of money I wasn't sure. I did find out that when she was 2 her mother put the utilities in her name too and they ended up eating the amount owed. I thought it was strange that wit my sd's s.s. number that they would even give it to her but I have learned through this that they don't always check the number which is stupid on their end. So far there has been 5 different companies after her to pay for stuff that she has never even seen. This is just so wrong. No wonder there are kids out there getting into trouble with parents like this making them think it's ok. Thanks for listening.

#6 ·
I wouldnt worry to much she is a minor and there is nothing they can do to get her to pay, now they can go after the mother since she was living with the SD at the time and bill payments were probably address to their joint address, it's a shame a parent would do this to their child out of desperate measures, I hope everything turns out for the best and please keep us updated :hugz:

#8 ·
If you believe that your identity has been stolen:

1. Contact the fraud department of one of the following 3 credit reporting agencies

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; [w ww.equifax.com ; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)w ww.experian.com ; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; w ww.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

and ask them to put a FRAUD ALERT on your credit report. The fraud alert tells creditors to contact you before opening any new accounts or making any changes to your existing accounts. You only need to contact one of the three companies to place an alert. The company you call is required to contact the other two, which will place an alert on their versions of your report, too. Once you place the fraud alert in your file, you're entitled to order free copies of your credit reports, and, if you ask, only the last four digits of your Social Security number will appear on your credit reports.

File a report with your local police department.

#9 ·
Found this too. Hope it helps

If you think someone is using your child’s Social Security number fraudulently, you should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission by:

* Internet—w ww.consumer.gov/idtheft;
* Telephone—1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338); or
* TTY—1-866-653-4261.

It is against the law to:

* Use someone else’s Social Security number unlawfully;
* Give false information when applying for a number; or
* Alter, buy or sell Social Security cards.

#10 ·
Please do these steps immediately!! My niece had the same situation and it took her at least 2 years to have it corrected. In the meantime, she got nasty calls fromthe time she turned 18 from creditors. The sooner you can put a fraud alert on SD's SS# the better.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the info. It was a great help. I didn't knowyou could put an alert on your report. I tried all three credit agencies but since she is under 13 they can't put a fraud alert on her file. So I guess it's back to the lawyers and let him handle it. I do appreciate all the help. You guys are great. Maybe someday I can help you out too.

#12 ·
Well we finally found sd's mother after not hearing from her in almost 2 months. Seems she lost her job because she didn't show up half the time and now she is living with another guy. Her parents have pretty much washed their hands of her. The reason she hasn't called is that "it's too depressing". Funny she's not so depressed that she can't party all the time. It's way past the time where this almost 50 year old should grow up and realize she has two kids. (sd is 12 and her sb is 17 who she pretty mcuh just left at a friends house) Again thanks for all the help. I am still waiting too hear back on the credit card issue. Oh and winter is on it's way back. YUCK!

#13 ·
You have gotten some great advice -- hopefully you can get it straightened out. This happens quite a lot and its such a sad state of affairs.

#14 ·
Well the credit card company hasn't called back or mailed any more bills so hopefully it has been taken care of. If you remember waya back when this all started we were having a time with my SD testing the waters. Well after a lot of taking away privilages and allowance things have gotten somewhat better. Oh she forgets and slides once in awhile. She got in trouble in school ( of course she didn't do anything but it's always the other kids) nothing major but she found out that the school here doesn't tolerate not following rules.She has heard from her mother once since 12-01. Talked to her maybe 5 minutes. Her excuse is " It's too depressing talking to the kids." I just wanted to update everyone and thank you for all your help. You helped me keep my sanity or what's left of it anyway:clap:

#15 ·
The mother of the child is 50 and still doing drugs? If she keeps up this rollercoaster I don't see her living to a ripe old age. Thank God that you have custody of her daughter. I feel you are a good influence on her. No telling how the daughter would turn out if not for your intervention.

#16 ·
Let the attorney handle it. My concern is that the mother will enter into additional credit situations using the daughters information. This may haunt her when she applies for her own credit or college loans so you need to have it handled as much as you can now. Also be sure to remember to keep documentation in case you need it later. Good luck!

#17 ·
Well so far so good. I got one more notice from the credit card company but I think everything may have passed in the mail. All the rest have quit sending things. I did have a problem with the step brother but put a stop to it right away. Since my step daughter came to live with us in June, now keep in mind she is 12, she weighed just under 50 pounds now she is about 101 and in good health. She was reading at a third grade level in September and now she is up to almost sixth grade level where she should be.We have had the usual ups and downs but nothing we can't handle. when her birthday comes around in May I will be able to get a full credit report for her and see where we stand on that. Thanks for all the help.

#18 ·
Glad to hear things are looking up for you and your family, please keep us posted on changes. :)

#20 ·
Yes thank the Lord u were there to intervene for her and be there for this child. Glad things are looking up on the credit . Keep us updated.
huuggsss

#21 ·
1 more thing. I think you can arrange to have that ss# dropped from her record and get a new one - then DON"T give it to her mother. That might be a wonderful fresh start since she doesn't have any college records or actual financial info that should be tied to her.

#22 ·
update kinda long

just an update on SD. She was doing pretty good, grade were up and she was doing her chores like she was suppose to. Then things started to drop off again and then finally she was doing nothing again. Keep in mind I am not one to just hand over things to kids, I feelt they need to earn them. (except birthdays and stuff of course) Well the schools educational trip(?) this year is to Kennywood and she thought we were going to shell out money for her to go. When told she coudl use her allowance that she hasn't got in forever she decided that it would be easier work if she did work for the neighbor. Keep in mind she is 12 years old. Well last night she started. He has a bank that is full of leaves and little trees and stuff that he wanted cleaned up. After a couple hours she came in lookiong like she'd lost her last friend. Tired and dirty and not finished. Today is day two of the job. We'll see how it goes. This man has two grown boys and will not accept a job half done so this should be interesting. Think she's starting to see things weren't as bad here as she thought. Her mother never had her do anything and she came here and when she went to clean the table wanted to know where the dishwasher was. I showed her my two hands. Wasn't impressed let me tell ya, That put the end to the helping in the kitchen. Thanks for listening to my ramblings this morning.

#23 ·
Her mother never had her do anything and she came here and when she went to clean the table wanted to know where the dishwasher was. I showed her my two hands. Wasn't impressed let me tell ya, That put the end to the helping in the kitchen. Thanks for listening to my ramblings this morning.
LOL thats hilarious, when you showed her your two hands. before me and DH moved into our house we were in an apt that had a dishwasher. well he was constantly helping me out in the kitchen then. now that we're here and theres no dishwasher.. the help in the kitchen is definitely lacking but.. he helps else where and im ok with that.

glad to read that your SD is doing so much better and getting healthier too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.