Seriously thinking about starting
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Seriously thinking about starting

I informally stockpile, in that I try to buy extra of the things I know I use a lot, but I've never sat down and formally worked out a program. I've tried in the past, but it usually ends up with me throwing out a bunch of expired food.

My biggest problem is having room to stockpile. I literally use just about every square inch in the house and can't figure out where to put a pantry. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

My second roadblock is that I don't do canned/dry foods much. Mostly, I like to cook with "real" food; i.e, fresh veggies, fresh meat, etc. I don't mind some frozen, but about 70% of my grocery list is stuff that will go bad in a matter of days.
    Last edited by madhen; 08-30-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi again Madhen!!!

I'll see if I can add anything here to help you out.

Basically the premise behind stockpiling to is buy items that you would normally use and when you find it at a great price, you "stock up" as much as you can afford to or to have x number of that item on hand to get you through until the next sale.

For instance, yesterday I went to Kroger and bought 5 bottles of mustard, with combined sales & double coupons, I got them all for free.
    Now, we don't *need* any mustard right now, but knowing they probably won't go on sale again until sometime next Spring, I bought all that I had coupons for.

As for where to store, alot of people here store in "unusual" places such as a towel closet, under a bed, in the back corner of guest bedroom, etc.
    Think kinda outta the box, so to speak.

As for what to store, even with cooking mostly fresh foods, a good supply of staples would always come in handy:
    dried beans
    rice
    pastas
    canned spaghetti sauce or even canned tomatoes to make your own
    seasonings
    whole wheat flour
    dried milk (good to have on hand for baking or cooking to keep you from having to run into town to pick up a gallon)
    oatmeal
    sugar or honey
    condiments

Also even if you have a really small home, and you don't already have one, a small freezer might come in handy.
    If for nothing else, just freezing leftovers of some of your meals to have on hand for later.
    I know when I cook beans, I always have leftovers, these always go into the freezer in 2 cup portions to use later.

even having some health & beauty supplies on hand also comes in handy (I don't think a person can have too much toilet paper!!)

Well, you get the idea.
    The basic rule of thumb is to *ONLY* stock what you use/eat and then remember to rotate everything.

As to how much you should stockpile, there are lots of other threads that talk about this. So definately read through this section of the forums and then just ask questions. This is a great place to be, 'cause I promise there will be someone here that has been there, done that!

Hth you some to get started!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hadn't thought about under the bed....

Okay, thinking about getting some shallow plastic bins and labeling with dates...it's coming to me.

I probably have cupboard space, but since I like to cook, and I sometimes cater for friends/family, I have a lot of appliances and gadgets that take up space - chafing dishes and such that I only use occasionally. If I could figure out where to store these, I could free up some space in the kitchen.

Totally off-topic, but why is it that most kitchens are SO inefficient when it comes to storage space? I still don't get the concept of cupboards that have deep spaces that go back into the wall, where you need a flashlight and a fishing pole to get what's back there...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a cupboard under the stairs that I use for my extras. Don't get any coupons or big sales up here, but when something we use is on sale, I'll get one or two extra if I can.

I agree with you on the cupboard space...I'm going to start saving up for and designing a new kitchen space for my little house, with my pantry stockpile in mind. Mega cupboards is on my list!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

a lot of Latter Day Saints, who have a years worth of stored food, make furniture.

side table: cases or sturdy plastic containers, stackable is best, plywood top, spiffy 70-90 inch round tablecloth, glass top. do the hem with dress braid or cord, so it looks better.

sofa table - same thing. a lot more storage.

bed (usually used for the wheat pails), pails support a bed made of plywood, mattress on top, nice bedskirt.

some people have good luck with 30 gal trash cans, plywood top, make a desk, or tables of various sizes. a lot of people do this to store out of season clothes. (bedside table?)
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A footlocker... or 'hope chest' can hold a heck of a lot... and you can either put it in a closet, at the foot of your bed, or as a coffee table.

ETA: Think UP too! If you have tall closets, chances are you have a lot of wasted space... they have ceiling mounted racks... or even some shelving
    Last edited by Lady_V; 08-31-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't use a lot of convenience foods, either. We also live in a 950 sq. ft. townhouse. I have a 7.5 cu. ft. chest freezer, it sits in my dining area, and for "formal" occassions I throw a table cloth over it, and use it as a buffet table. My free standing pantry is in the living room next to my book shelves.

Some things I always stockpile:

Toilet paper
    Soft Soap
    Shampoo
    Deodorant
    Toothpaste
    Kleenex
    Laundry soap, softener sheets
    Trash bags, Ziploc bags
    Paper towels
    Peanut butter
    Condiments and salad dressing
    Oatmeal and dry cereals
    Raisins
    Rice and pasta
    Cooking oil
    Sugar and flour
    canned tomatoes and tomato sauce
    Jarred pasta sauce
    Canned beans (baked beans, pork & beans, black beans, refried beans)
    Canned fruit (we prefer fresh, but I do buy canned peaches, applesauce, and mandarin oranges)

In the freezer:
    vegetables
    bags of frozen strawberries and blueberries
    Eggo waffles (dd insists on having these)
    Lean Cuisines (for me)
    Orange juice concentrate
    Boca burgers
    Lean ground turkey (we use this instead of beef)
    Chicken breast
    Light ice cream or frozen yogurt
    Stouffer's lasagna (if a sale and coupon combine to make it super cheap)
    Frozen pizzas (if the right sale and coupon come together)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ha ha i use my chest freezer as my sofa table. i made a cloth for it with a open area for the heat exchange grille.

ha ha me too.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some great ideas here! Thanks to each for posting! I have a side-by-side in my birds' room, but it is full of frozen bird food.

Maybe I'll convert one of the closets. Who needs that many clothes, right? And it will contribute to my fall fling!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by i.m.cheap View Post
    We don't use a lot of convenience foods, either. We also live in a 950 sq. ft. townhouse. I have a 7.5 cu. ft. chest freezer, it sits in my dining area, and for "formal" occassions I throw a table cloth over it, and use it as a buffet table. My free standing pantry is in the living room next to my book shelves.

Some things I always stockpile:

[long list of staples snipped]
    We must have similar lifestyles, because every single thing on your list is going to be on mine! I kept finding myself thinking, yep, I could use more of that and more of those as I read each item. In the freezer section, I am not a big fan of frozen convenience foods (although a package of Morningstar broccoli and cheese nuggets saved me from having to make dinner last night), but in the winter, I do make big lots of food (soup, stew, lasagna, etc.)