Back home next week and starting a stockpile!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Back home next week and starting a stockpile!

All this year I have been teaching away from my husband and home, and next week I finally get to go back!! Hopefully forever *keeping fingers crossed on job situation.* So I'm heading back to a pantry that's been stocked by DH, whose food choices approximate a college frat boy - lots of junk. I want to start a stockpile ASAP and am already trying to set some goals for myself:

I'm going to use $50 a week at first to feed us both. I think we can eat well for considerably less than this, but I know I will have to pick up missing pantry items along the way. Any extra cash will go to buying loss leaders and coupon items and stockpiling. I'm going to also set aside an extra $100 for various household and pantry needs for May. This will cover a few bulk purchases (I want to buy a bulk portion of rice, for instance) and allow me to pick up any cleaning items I might need. It will also give me a little bit of flex room in case I miss my goal one week.

I plan to shop at three stores consistently: County Market, Meijer, and CVS. County Market has a nice deal on meats each week - you can buy 5 selected meats for $20. I don't really know that this is a good deal, so I'll have to pay attention to how meat prices fluctuate, but this is where I plan to start with protein. Both County Market and Meijer have good loss leader specials. CVS has Extrabucks - I'll probably only go there if I can find a good deal on items we need, so maybe, maybe not.

I want to start exploring Aldi's too, but Aldi's is quite far away from my apartment, so I have to consider the extra gas in the price. I can walk to County Market. Aldi's might be a good once per month option for us. I also want to look into Sam's Club. Sam's is much closer to our place than Aldi's, but, because we're just two people in a very small apartment, the quantities might be too large to be practical. Our kitchen is the size of a postage stamp and we share it with the washer/dryer and the cat's things (food, water, etc). I'm going to have to find some room. I plan to start a garden on the porch ASAP as well!

I'll update my efforts here - it will help keep me accountable. DH and I were the world's biggest spendthrifts when we were dating and we need to take stock and pay off debt. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a plan! I can tell you've put a lot of thought into this and that's a good first step.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of room, but my advice, which you didn't ask for and which may only be worth what you're paying for it, is to try to find room for a freezer. Even a small one would allow you to take advantage of some meat deals. But get the biggest one you can afford and have room for. Believe me, you'd find things to put in it if the space was there.

Congrats on getting back home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You sound very excited to get started and already have a plan. Way to go! Yes, keep us posted how you're doing. I love stockpiling stories.
    Aldis is well worth the trip ( to me anyway) if you are going that direction anyway. But yes, gas is a consideration.
    Oh, and, good luck with the job situation.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Oct
    Goal 20
    Accomp/18

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/11

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a great plan!! I like Aldi's too. I usually go to Food Lioin, Lowes, and Kroger weekly/bi-weekly and go to Aldi's once every few months and stock up on long shelf life items.

I also prefer aldi's brand junk foods to the name brands, to me they are usually less greasy and far cheaper.
    total debt: $23977.09 updated 04/02/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the support and advice! I get home this upcoming weekend and can't wait to get started. I even bought a Sunday paper today with my CVS extrabucks for the coupons.

Spirit Deer, I think you're right about the freezer, but I don't know that it's going to work for us in our current apartment. I know the outlet that runs the fridge right now is properly grounded, but I don't trust a normal outlet to run it properly. Plus our lease is over in November, and, depending on where I'm working, we may be moving. We're just too uncertain in our lifestyle right now to make freezing large quantities worth it for us. I do have a traditionally sized refrigerator/freezer to make use of and can use home canning for meats perhaps. As soon as we have a stable place to live, I'm getting a deep freeze, though!

I'm clipping coupons this week and looking into coupons.com. I'm also planning and pricing for a container garden on our porch. I've never found gardening in a small area like a porch to be particularly price efficient. Big gardens, yes, but when you have to buy all the supplies and dirt to grow a small quantity of food, not really. So I'm focusing on things I know I'll use and that taste much better fresh, like tomatoes and herbs. Produce I can buy cheaply at the grocery store, like onions, I'm skipping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're also in a smallish apartment (950 square feet) and can't add a deep freezer per apartment rules. However, we do buy in bulk from Costco and store our extra non-perishable food (since we don't have a proper pantry either, just cupboards) in our dining room. Maybe that might help?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all of the advice, all! AliciaKnits, I am planning on using my small dining room for some storage - we have a bookshelf in there serving as a makeshift hutch and I plan to load it with stockpiling items.

I got back yesterday - yaaay! Still quite busy concluding the business of the semester and unpacking, but did a little bit of work towards the stockpile today:

-1 shampoo and 1 conditioner (B1G1 plus coupon)

I also planted two tomato plants on our porch. I spent $7.30 on 80 pounds of topsoil, 40 pounds of manure, and around 60 pounds of fill rock for drainage. I used some extra plastic bins we had hanging around from moving for pots and planted two tomato plants that my dad raised from seed. I have one bin that has yet to be planted, but I'm planning on planting a green pepper and a jalapeno in it. I may plant half of it in herbs instead of two peppers; I'll have to check on the prices of seeds and plants. I'd like to spend no more than $2.70 on the remaining plants, making my total garden cost so far $10 for this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whoo, new forum format! I thought I'd just add an update here - I've just started to get my act together with stockpiling. I have been very serious about clipping coupons and shopping deals, with so/so results. My first trip using coupons yielded about 20% savings, and today's trip yielded 30%. It's not the super deals I've seen around here and elsewhere, but I guess it's something. A lot of time goes into it, though, making my hourly yield not so hot. I'm going to try to keep couponing up for a month and see if I get any better at it. If not, I'll probably only clip coupons for select products and won't go out of my way to stock up with coupons. So many coupons are for goods that I'm stocked on now anyway.

Here's my stockpile:
    1 shampoo and 1 conditioner
    6 liquid soaps (@.45 each)
    3 toothbrushes (coupons and extrabucks)
    4 tubes of toothpaste (3 were free)
    3 bottles of detergent (sale plus coupon)
    1 12 pack toilet paper (sale plus coupon)
    2 boxes tampons (sale plus coupon)
    1 deodorant (sale plus coupon)

I think that's it. I am buying food too, but I haven't gotten anything to stockpile levels there yet. Everything I buy we'll eat in 2 weeks or so.

On an upnote, my garden is doing very well. My tomatoes are already quite large and one is starting to bloom! I added two peppers and a few herb seed packs to the garden and ended up spending $12 total on the garden. The overage is for a trowel and for an extra packet of seeds that DH requested.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

u did really well honey keep us updated

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Doing well. Keep up the good work. Coupons take time. Cut and file them while watching TV.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Oct
    Goal 20
    Accomp/18

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/11

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For a good couponing site, you need to try www.couponclippers.com. For extra storage, remember there's space under most beds. Good Luck, sounds like you're doing great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you are doing pretty good so far.
    One place I use for a stockpile is my hall closet which has several shelves in it.
    Hello from Sunny Central Florida
    Cheryl

Gardening in zone 9B

~If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive. ~ Eleonora Duse

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH got paid today so I went out to investigate some new stockpiling options in town. First I went to Big Lots. The town I previously lived in had one and I went a few times; the deals only seemed ok and, of course, the selection fluctuated a lot. The one in my current town is flat-out gross. It's filthy and overpriced. I have a high tolerance for run-down stores (I lived in West Philly for awhile), but this one turned me off so much that I left. But not before seeing a guy pull the cap off of a deodorant, apply, put the cap back on, then put the deodorant back on the shelf for someone else to buy. Needless to say, I won't be going back.

I then went to Aldi's, and had the opposite experience. It's one of the nicest grocery stores in town; it's brand new, spotlessly clean, and so pleasant to shop in. The aisles are broad and you never get caught among carts. The produce is beautiful and cheap, and most everything else is a great price too. I didn't go in with a plan (I was just going to survey my options) and ended up buying a cartful of food. I felt a little bad about it, since a lot of the items I bought were purely decadent (champagne, virgin olive oil, watermelon), but I was flabbergasted when I got to the checkout and I only owed $30. I mean, I could have spend $30 on those three items alone at a local grocery store. With all I got, I will probably only need to supplement milk and a bit of meat this week. And next time I'll try Aldi's for those too (I wasn't going straight home and didn't want to buy things that spoiled). From now on, Aldi's will be my go-to grocery store. It's further away than my other options, but makes up for it in price. I'm going to coupon still, but I'll only buy brand name from chains if I can get a really good deal or free products.

For the stockpile, I did get some baking items. Flour is so cheap at Aldi's! But otherwise we'll probably eat up everything else I got in the next few weeks. I'll have to think about what we can stockpile from Aldi's efficiently.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always look for cocoa powder when at places like Aldi's. Can never have enough of cocoa around here!!! Keep up the great work on the stockpiling. Also remember that sales and stockpiling can also be seasonal throughout the year. Meaning with spring and summer here condiments, paper plates, insect spray, etc., goes on sale so try to stockup on as much as possible for the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL Shoiji... love the braids your furry friend is sporting.
    If You Find Yourself Dancing In The Rain
    You Have Been Blessed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast