Vegan stockpiling?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Vegan stockpiling?

I have been off the forum for a while, and was more of a lurker even when I checked in daily. Anyway, I am wondering: are there any vegans on the forum who are stockpiling? I'm not an ethical vegan but since the day after Easter I have been eating vegan 'for health reasons'. I don't currently stockpile but I eventually need to start doing so. I am a divorced mom of a ten year old with joint custody so I can start small. Of course there are the old standbys of grain; beans; canned goods so I suppose it's not different than regular stockpiling but I'm just curious what is high on your list of must-haves. In the past I went about what stocking I did in a very haphazard manner and ended up stocking stuff I didn't want to eat, which is stupid. I want to be more like the LDS in terms of having a great stockpile that I actually use and rotate.

I don't eat a lot of beans (my favorites are garbanzos) although I guess if I was in an 'eat or starve' situation I'd eat anything (including meat and dairy...) I am starting to avoid artificial and highly processed foods, and I prefer organic despite the high cost of organic fruits and veggies especially in the Vegas desert. I want to start doing some of my own canning so I can control what goes into it, even though it would be cheaper here to buy canned goods from the store. Of course, if the zombie apocalypse comes I'm sure I'll be willing to eat everything and anything in order to survive but I'd like to keep it as healthy, vegan and organic as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile a few items, such as dry beans, peanut butter, canned tomatoes, rice, oatmeal and nuts. I try to stock up on these items when they are on sale and buy enough for six months. Sometimes there are online coupons for items like tofu, so I'll buy a few with the coupons and store them in the freezer. I also occasionally by items like veggie burgers with coupons. I know I can make them better and cheaper, but they're handy when I don't feel like cooking. For spices I plan need to check out some internet sites and ethnic grocery stores for cheaper items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not vegan but have cut a ton out of my previous diet. I stockpile dried beans, rice, oatmeal, pasta, and have been focusing more on growing my own food so I can freeze it as a stockpile. Last year I had a garden in a kiddie pool and it went pretty well considering it was my first time. Have you considered a dehydrator for when you score food on sale to then stockpile it? I want a dehydrator for mushrooms, apple chips, make my own "soup mix" type things. Last year I enjoyed fresh basil and oregano in my super-cheap-canned tomatoes from the store to make my own sauces and soups. To stockpile that you could dehydrate your own.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been eating raw vegan mostly for the past six weeks, and one thing that has been great is dehydrated fruit. I also have a stockpile of nuts, because I blend them with water to make nut milk. (I have discovered that brazil nut cream is about the greatest thing on earth!) With the right combo of nuts, you can make "milk" and also "cheese." If you soak your nuts, then dehydrate them, they'll last about 10 times as long, and it also removes the enzymes and tannins that many people react to when they try to eat nuts. Raw agave nectar replaces most sweeteners, including honey, if you are going hardcore vegan.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're not vegans but my stockpile is vegan with a very few exceptions.

My stockpile is built around wheat (unground), pasta, oats, rice, lentils, tortillas, dried beans, canned beans, canned tomato products (paste, sauce, chopped, whole), raisins and dried fruit, nuts, sugar, chocolate, cornmeal, baking supplies, vinegar, olive oil, canned fruit, dried vegetables (peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc), coffees, water, spices and flavorings, salt, etc.

Then there's the cleaning, paper, HBA stockpile of course.

The only non-vegan things in my stockpile are a few things in the freezer but we have such a small freezer that it's not really a stockpile. DH drinks milk so we have milk in the fridge and a spare bottle in the freezer for emergencies but I don't stockpile it.

We're in a severe financial situation so things like eggs, cheese, and meat are too expensive anyway. I buy yogurt when I can find it on sale but often we just switch to vegan because we can't afford animal products. It has almost no impact on the stockpile. Until this thread I never really thought about it before that we're not vegans but we have a vegan stockpile!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you would make a menu plan for three or four weeks of things you usually eat, those items would form the basis for your storage. Most people eat pretty much the same dishes and after a period of three weeks would be repeating those dishes. In fact, most people have favorites that appear weekly. But for arguments sake, say three weeks of menus then multiply ingredients for however long you wish your storage to cover. So whether you are eating vegan or vegetarian or a meat eater the same process would apply. Be sure to include all recipe ingredients including spices/herbs/etc. so your dishes will taste right. Substitute as needed such as dried onions to replace fresh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so glad to hear that more and more people are not eating meat. Meat is sooo toxic. ( even organic) Not to mention how they treat the animals. Just a little reminder. Brown rice won't really keep for more than six months without becoming rancid. Be sure to rotate. White rice will usually keep for up to two years if stored properly. There are a multitude of sites online for buying in bulk. Look for those that offer free shipping if you buy a certain amount.