Frugal Village Forums banner

whats in your home freezer?

3K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Raiquee 
#1 ·
We just got an almost new upright freezer from my mom. I am so excited, you would think I hit the lottery... we are vegetarian and have some mock meats... I am wondering what you all keep in your home freezers. We joined a farm share so we will have veggies that I will blanch and freeze.. maybe some bread.. plus I think its pretty economical to buy 50 lb bags of flour and large bags of rice and freeze those in Ziploc bags. Just wanted to pick your brains for more ideas.... I want to keep it full to keep it energy efficient. TIA!

#2 ·
Meats: Chicken, cooked hamburger meat, salmon burgers and pork
Veggies: Green beans, spinach, celery and broccoli
Snacks: 20-25 lbs of shelled pecans, popsicles and Kool Whip
Misc: Pancakes, ham bone, tortilla shells, flour, corn meal, sugar, butter, cheese, confectioners sugar, pasta, ice, Brunswick stew
Non- Food: Boo-Boo Bear, medical ice packs, gallon jugs of ice

#3 ·
I usually keep meat, raw, cooked, marinated and ready to throw on the grill.
I also have a variety of frozen veggies and veggie mixes for quick meals
Ready made meals that I just need to pull, thaw and reheat.
Crock pot meal kits ( homemade)
Cooked rice frozen flat in ziplock bags
Bone broth in ziplock bags
Spaghetti sauce
Bread/ rolls/ buns
Hm Muffins
Hm breakfast sandwiches
Ice cream
Juice concentrate
Leftovers in meal size portions for quick work lunches
Frozen fruit both store bought and home ( overripe bananas)
butter
I live 20 minutes away from the nearest grocery store so I like to have stuff on hand.
If you don't use a lot of frozen foods from the start, you can always fill jugs iwth water and freeze them to keep your freezer full. I'm sure with time you'll figure out what you like to keep in there.
Also, a piece of advice: label everything. I didn't use to do it and wasted a lot of mystery food, now I use simple masking tape and a black sharpie. The tape stays put but comes off easily when peeled and doesn't leave gunk behind.
Hth!

#6 ·
My big freezer is full of meat, butter and frozen vegs. There' a few pre cooked items like chili and meatballs and caramelized onions. The kitchen freezer holds things like the OAMC packets, opened bags of vegs, ice cream, leftovers, fish food and all those other small things that end up in the freezer.

#7 ·
We have a large upright, a mid-size chest freezer, and a large side by side freezer. They're all full.

Pretty much what everyone else is saying, plus two shelves in the upright are full of Mom's stuff right now, since she moved and no longer has a freezer.

We also have dairy such as buttermilk, cheese, etc. I make dog food and freeze it, plus baked dog treats and turkey jerky for the dog, which also gets frozen.

I buy close-out ground turkey to make the jerky and for the turkey/hamburger mix I brown up for quick cooking and freeze, and ground turkey rolls when it's on sale.

I make my own pudding pops which go in the freezer.

OAMC for Husby's lunches.

We buy various types of crackers on close-out and hold them in the freezer. We also keep foods in there that we don't use very often, like shredded coconut and french-fried onion rings, so they don't get stale.

In the summer, we make ice for our coolers when we go camping.

#8 ·
Meats and roasts that were on sale
HM stocks and sauces from previous CP meals
veggies
butter
nuts
HM stuffed shells vac sealed for future meals
bags of meatballs... not hm, :(
Crock pot freezer meals
Some fruits that I'm trying to use up in jams and such
frozen balls of cookie dough for those spontaneous "gotta have a cookie" moments

#9 ·
I eat mostly organic so I buy frozen fruits and vegetables when I find them at a good price. I also have a vegetable garden so I freeze my own tomatoes and squash. I freeze purchased bags of sliced fruit and vegetables.

Right now I have 5 bags of different organic berries and fruits, 1 bag of organic corn kernals, multiple quarts of chopped zucchini and tomatoes, some gallon bags of whole tomatoes. I cook dried beans and freeze in cup or pint size containers. I make homemade soup (winter squash, lentil, split pea, 10 bean, vegetable, tomato) and freeze that in cup or pints.

I have cooked rice in cup size containers and I bake corn muffins, rye bread, etc and freeze in individual serving sizes.
Homemade tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce.

I eat salmon and shrimp occasionally, so I have a bag of each in the freezer.
I try to eat more fresh foods, but like having the other stuff on hand in the freezer.

#10 ·
At the very bottom of my chest freezer I have several gallon milk containers that I filled with water and froze (helps with efficiency and in case the power goes out). I have a variety of meats, veggies and fruits. Snack type stuff for ds (pretzels, pizza bites, buffalo wings, french fries...), butter, homemade pizza dough, homemade muffins and cookies, coffee beans and ground coffee and a big bag (Costco size) of chocolate chips!

#11 ·
~In our big basement "stock-up" freezer:
sale milk in gallons, sale cheese, sale wheat bread, butter, co-op strawberries/blueberries/mango/raspberries/cherries, peeled bananas, beans cooked from dried, chopped cabbage and kale for soups, homemade broths(veggie/beef/chicken/turkey), blanched sale green beans, store brand chopped broccoli, apple cores for making applesauce, homemade ice cream sandwiches, juice popsicles, roasted turkey chopped for recipes, turkey carcass for broth when I need to replenish my ready-to-go supply, sale bacon, sale chicken breast, sale tilipia, lean homemade turkey and beef burgers, rib eye steaks for hubby's birthday dinner and I think that's it without going down there and rooting through it to confirm. :)
You don't have to keep grains and flours in the freezer. Just freezing them overnight to 24 hours will kill any bugs or eggs and you can then store large quantities in plastic bins, barrels or buckets. I go through flours and grains quickly so I don't bother doing this unless I buy more than 20lbs at a time in the summer. I really don't like flours stored in the freezer. I have a relative who does this and whenever I do any cooking or baking at their house I can always taste a freezer taste in the flour. Although that's not quite as bad as the relative who stored their flour in a mothballed basement. Blech.~

#12 ·
boneless chicken, tilpia, mussels, and shrimp if on sale
OMAC beef lasagna, meatloaf, taco meat, meat balls, brown beef
boneless pork chops
sirloin steak if on sale..
roasts or what ever meat is on sale ribs, cube steak, t bones..ect.
bacon

veggies and fruit
frozen peas, corn on the cob, spinach. brussel sprouts ( I love them) bag of honey glazed carrots Homemade.
right now twice baked taters
what ever fruit is on sale
frozen oj

chicken cooked and de boned ( 10 bag of leg quarters)

fries, sweet tater fries, onion rings

lunchmeat 6 -8 packs
3-4 packs of cheese.
5 lbs of corneal and SR flour

2 big bags of chocolate chips
1 roll of cookie dough
bananas
nuts
cranberries
white chocolate bark..
rolls
2-4 frozen pizzas

#13 ·
Various meats, veggies, fruits, anything that may get a bug in it-flours, rice, beans, HM broth, breads,
choc chips, cheese,
ice cream, frozen treats, dry milk, cookie dough, coffee, extra ice cubes for HM ice cream. Odd things-cranberries, eye masks, 2-4 h20 bottles
for rolling with my feet, flower seeds, gallon jugs & liter bottles of h20 to fill up freezer space & just in case if the electric would go out,
& just recently pitched an almost 6 yr old wedding cake my dau failed to come & get!

KOOL-AID PIE???? recipe?

#14 ·
I have a bit of everything - various types of meats, tons of bread & bread products, veggies, double batch meals (you know cook once, eat twice), soups/stews, diary and baked goods.

The key (for us) is to portion everything out into what your family eats so all you have to do is pull something out and let it defrost. No waiting for the perfect time to try to break off what you'll need to shove the rest back into the freezer or worrying about what to do with the leftovers.

#15 ·
Just got what was in chest freezer moved to up right
Bell Pepper
Lima beans
celery
HG buns
HD buns
Light bread
corn bread
freezer biscuits
rice mix I use with red beans
dried cherries
pecans
peanuts
cool whip
butter milk
sweet milk
texas toast
sweet potatoes
chicken nuggets
chicken breast tenders
French fries
chicken and dressing
steam vegetables
philly swirl sticks
carrots
sandwich meat
ham
pork loin
pork chops
bacon
sausage
Hb meat crumbles for spaghetti
brocclie & cauliflower
onions and peppers
onions
purple hull peas
Hash browns
cabbage
Veg.soup
Okra to fry
steak potatoes
pork chops
hot dogs
tv dinner
pkg.chocklate chips
pkg.milk chocklate toffee bits

bananas
French fries

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#16 ·
I just did freezer inventory to make sure we are eating up things as need be.

1lb bacon
4 bananas
4 packs beef stew meat
2 packs green beans
2 mozzarella balls
2 lbs of grass fed g. beef
1 package of ravioli
1 5lb package of mozz
1 package of chicken drumsticks*
2 porkbutts*
1 package of snap peas
1 package of grated zucchini
5 package of home raised duck
7 packages of venizun roast
1 freezer meal- Tikka masala
3lbs of butter
4 package of venizun stew meat
6 packages of chicken breast
2 freezer meals- lasagna rolls
8 packages of strawberries
7 packages of peaches
7 packages of fiddleheads
1 package of brats
1 Italian sausage
1 venizun ribs
1 package of corned beef
1 freezer meal- Taco Pasta
1 freezer Meal- Chicken artichoke white lasagna
1 package of rainbow trout

Now that's my chest freezer, I got a ton of other meats in the fridge top freezer, but I wanted inventory on the "lost" items.

So meats, some veg, some fruit, and cheese. Not much else besides those things. I know cream is also another thing I love to freeze when it goes on sale. I also have three deer skins from 3 years ago, but lets not talk about that :ache:

Gotta make room as I have 80lbs of boneless/skinless chicken breast coming in to fill it up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.