Frugal Village Forums banner

Cheap peanut butter

6K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  shp1055 
#1 ·
If you could buy 16.3oz jars of peanut butter for .49ea, how many would you buy?

#2 ·
What I thought I would use up within one year after the "expiration" date printed on them.

#12 ·
Yeah, that......me too. And I would err on the side of caution since it can go rancid quicker depending on how it has been stored before you bought it.
And if it was an off brand........might not buy any..........I am pretty 'brand loyal' with my peanut butter.......like the super chunk.

#9 ·
Why the freezer? Peanut butter is shelf-stable.

My answer ... it depends on the brand. I don't eat peanut butter with added sugar or hydrogenated oils. If it was one of my brands, I agree with "20". $10 isn't too much for a stockpile purchase.

I recently found canned chicken for $1 a large can. The expiration date was more than a year away. I bought about $10 worth because I could always use it for soup which I make once a week in the winter. I told hubby and he said I should have bought more. I was trying to leave some for others to get a good deal. Silly me.

#4 ·
I have peanut butter that is way past the use by date and it is still good. Currently using a jar of natural peanut butter that I purchased in 2011. Where are you able to get peanut butter for $0.49? I need to stock up!

#6 ·
We do peanut butter by "got a hankering for" and then eat it awhile and quit. I used to bake peanut butter cookies a lot but not so much anymore. I have a few...maybe 4? ... in the pantry now and they're the bigger jars, maybe 28 oz?. If I found the sale you're talking about right now...I'd probably buy 3 or 4 at least. I keep a jar all the time at work. I love peanut butter on toast for breakfast or sometimes even at lunch time.

#13 ·
I bought 10 and may go back for 5-10 more. Some for me and some for the kids, I have a poor college kid and she loves to come to mom's and 'shop'.

I did a price match at WM, their normal price is 2.78, the store I matched has it on sale for 1.49 and with a Kraft promotion if you buy 10 items you save $10 and WM matched the final price.

#17 ·
I'd by about a dozen. I use it to make a breakfast concoction. Put a couple of heaping spoons in a microwave glass jar & heat about 30 seconds, add some vanilla & sweet-n-low, stir well, add pecan pieces, oatmeal & mix well, then sparingly add semi-sweet chocolate chips & stir again. Put a lid on it and keep it in the fridge & eat it by the spoonful for breakfast. I make enough to last about 4 or 5 days at a time. It does get a little stiff, but it doesn't bother me, but you could take some out & let it come to room temp if you wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.