Frugal Village Forums banner

What store bought foods are good for stockpiling this time of year?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jess11 
#1 ·
I know there are cyclical trends in food sales year round...so what do you find is good to grab this time of year?

I have found the following are cheaper than usual this time of year:
-kid lunch snack packs (the individual serving size of chips, crackers, fruit snacks)
-string cheese (goes on sale and there tend to be coupons out this time of year)
-peanut butter (though I wish the sales were better!)

Basically, a lot of 'back to school' lunch items. Anything you've noticed is cheaper in the fall and good to stock up on?

#2 ·
Potatoes have been $1 per 10lb bag, usually Sept-Nov. I bake and freeze, make hash browns and freeze, make OAM soups.

Vidalia onions are in. I caramelize and freeze. Easy to put in recipes or thaw for steak later. Hatch chilies, too, if that's your thing.

It's football season, watch for sales on crackers, chili (canned and fixin's) beans, hot dogs, etc.

Nov-Dec I stock up on cream cheese during sales, usually @99c.

#3 ·
Canned soup has been on sale here. Also, charcoal brickettes, I imagine because BBQ season is winding down. It might just be my Safeway but seems like they have been marking the cheese down lately and milk went from $5.39 a gallon to $4.99 (don't get me stared on the prices up here).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.