stockpiling or hoarding?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default stockpiling or hoarding?

Do you ever wonder at what point being frugal and stockpiling, saving for the lean times... turns into being a pack rat or hoarder? I think about when we had to clean out my Grandmothers house and found bottles and bottles of ketchup that were so old they had turned rancid. She had plastic bags that were literally falling apart. For these very reasons I have problems keeping large stockpiles of anything. I keep enough for about 2-3 months ahead. Also, I have very few material things. I prefer a somewhat minimalist lifestyle and feel less is more.

I went through a fire that took everything I owned a few years ago and after the initial shock of losing everything, I realized I felt free. It was an enlightning time for me. I lost pictures and momentoes but came to realize they were only "things". My true memories never leave me.

I know people and have friends that can't get rid of anything. It makes me tired to go to their houses.

What are your thoughts on this?
    If You Find Yourself Dancing In The Rain
    You Have Been Blessed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you never use the stuff or don't know what you have. It's hoarding or packratting. If you use the items, there's nothing wrong with stockpiling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was funny about the ziploc bags.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hoard for a couple of years and then get rid of the stuff, and then the cycle begins again!! lol
    Sandy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I DEFINITELY live a minimalist lifestyle because I can't stand clutter and stuff around me. I need open space and having too much stuff makes me nuts. My kitchen is not equipped to store a big stockpile and in all honesty, I don't really see the need to stockpile too much. If there's an unbelievable sale, yes I grab a bunch. But I don't have a lot of money laying around to buy in huge bulk. Also, I don't see too many fantastic sales anymore. I think everything's pricey these days. If stockpiling works for you, that's great. But for my family, it doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to run our kitchen.
    Bethany

Mortgage: 220,000

GOALS:

~Make weekly deposits (no matter how small) to savings account in order to get into the habit of
    saving.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As of 2-12-12........
    CC 12,000
    Paying down agressively!
    No other debt!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If there's a great sale for something I use and I have coupons, I stock pile. As for hoarding...I think my family has a problem. he he
    I'm trying to declutter and empty the house, but it isn't easy when your family needs to keep EVERYTHING!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had to put a stop to yard sales and flea markets when I realized I did not have anymore space to put things in.

Slowly I have been able to get rid of the excess. Even though I find it difficult at times.

Personally, I am still trying to find a balance that works for me regarding the pantry and keeping it stocked up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I get something free or almost free I do stockpile. I also give alot away to my parents, battered womens shelter and the homeless shelter for women and children. I rotate what I have and use all of it. I don't buy unless I know I can use it or someone can use it.

I guess I never thought about it as hoarding. I do know I have saved alot of money by watching the sales and using my coupons.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't have the space for what you need, because of buying too much, then you are probably hoarding. I like to keep a 2-3 month supply of food and a 3-6 month supply of toiletry products. We rotate through stuff pretty quickly, 1 month of eating mostly from the stock on hand depleted it quite a bit. If you have more of something than you can use in a few months time, certainly no more than a year, then you probably have a problem.
    Jennifer

ds 14
    dd 12
    ds 10
    dd 8

My blog - www.gettingaheadblog.com

Savings Challenge

Furnace $0/$3000

Family Reunion Beach Vacation $100/$3000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some people do hoard. I have posted before that my brother claims he has not eaten a pancake without extra protein in years. I would say that was hoarding.
    I only buy what we can use. With the exception of a really good buy, but I don't keep it, I give it away. I have a sister with 6 kids, nothing goes to waste over there, eight boxes of cereal dirt cheap is no problem they will eat it. Lately just for a hobby I have getting the drug store freebies. I will make stockings not only for my dd's and their spouses but for our service people and the above mentioned 6 kids. If there are leftovers I will donate them to the homeless shelter.
    I have to say I make several stockings for the holiday's and up until now I just go out and buy everything. So this year I am excited to just to go through every thing and stuff away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is something both my sister and I have to be very careful of. We were very poor when we were kids (think eating out of garbage cans, no food for parents) so we both hoard food when we get stressed.

I do stockpile because it makes sense monitarily but I also make it a point to clean out the cupboards once a year and get rid of stuff I have picked up but won't use. I have also become pretty critical about what I buy and try to make sure I only buy what I will use and not what I should buy because "its good for me" or "might be useful some day". I also limit our stockpile to about a cabinet and a half. Since its only two of use we don't need a huge stockpile and if it starts to overflow the allotted space it is time to do some self correction and get rid of stuff.

To me hoarding is when you get into the mind set of bringing home/keeping things you know you will not use or will not be able to use in a timely manner. Another facet of this would be falling into a mindset of being unwilling or unable to give away your extras. When one is stuck in the hoarding mindset it is difficult or even impossible to give to others from your surplus.

Christine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the difference between stockpiling and hoarding is:

if you use it, it was stickpiling but if it goes bad and you end up throwing it away or keeping it anyway despite it being bad, its hoarding.

I pray not to turn into one of them people when after I die they go to clean out my house and find newspapers from the 1980's and bottles of mustard 50 years old.
    I have known some people like that and helped clean out the house after they died...
    it was a lesson about life and attitudes about saving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it's an item you know for a fact that you will use, then I consider that to be stockpiling not hoarding. For instance, Freds had Dawn dish detergent on sale for a dollar-I had several 50 cent coupons that they double, so they ended up being free. I ended up with 8 bottles that I know I will use up. But to save things that will never be used is what I consider hoarding.
    Dixie Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to say that I know I have a tendency to be a hoarder. If I can get something dirt cheap, I will buy it even if it's something I don't use. I have tons of hand sanitizer and I hate the stuff. So, I have to make a conscious effort not to do it. I shop sales and ads with coupons only on things I know we will use or eat. I can't even buy the stuff to donate because I will keep it. That goes with general "stuff" too. I just have to go thorough and purge when I get in the mood to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stockpiling is when you actually use the stuff you buy and hoarding is when it goes to waste, because you haven't used it.

I have enough food to carry us for a few months, except the things like milk, bread and other perishables. Can goods I buy once a year during the Spring sale (note to self Spring is almost here), meat I stock up on when it's on sale for a very cheap price...ex: ground round $1.89 a pound.

TP, paper towel, laundry soap, etc. I buy enough for a couple of months and restock as the sales hit.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny : $11.63
    Change : $66.20

Grocery Challenge:
    Grocery $400 avg. per month: $122.58/$400 April
    Running Total: $1,243.92

2014 Coupon Savings Challenge:
    $312.47

Savings Challenge: $/$3,000 to be put into other acct. when goal is met

2014 Fling Challenge: 63/2014
    20 Wishes Challenge: 10/24
    2014 Backwards 52 week Christmas Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
    To date: $637.00 - $53.84 = $583.16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast