How many of you have a year's worth of food? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok what does the "bumping" thing mean on this thread? lol

I wish I had a yrs worth of food etc stockpiled but I'll get there! I had to laugh because when my sons moved out, my then depleted stockpile looked really pitiful as I kept sending/dropping off 'care packages' for them (food and hba supplies)...then they moved back and this morning i laughed when i saw my former stockpiled body wash show up in the bathroom (after my son had a bath) after I had 'ran' out of it a couple mths ago lol

All I know is, having a stockpile, no matter how big or small can be a life save when you've been hit by rough times. Ideally, a larger stockpile is awesome to get you through, and as for storing it, there are so many creative places to hide stuff even in tiny homes/apartments. So saying there's no place to store it is no excuse, get your imagination goin and see what you can come up with. There's some vids on youtube that show neat lil places you can store your stockpile that are out of sight and use up wasted space

it also doesn't have to cost a fortune to build up a stockpile, if done correctly, and in the long run, it's cheaper too. If you buy on sale and with coupons and then rotate your stockpile, you aren't paying full price for the items (and sometimes they are free or dirt cheap) and when you 'shop' from your stockpile, you are ahead of the game since you got it on sale to begin with.

I have a yrs worth of honey, toothpaste and working on everything else lol
    CC#1: $400/1,000
    CC#2: $200/500
    CC#3: $500/1500
    Mortage:$3898.29/85,410.94

[

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bumping means bringing a thread back up to the surface / making it a current topic.
    Kind of a heads up also, that it is a old thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So glad that this thread has been 'bumped'.
    I don't have a whole year worth of food stockpiled, maybe 2 months of food, may not be a balance meal either.
    When I've the chance, I shall read this whole thread to get some ideas to stockpile 3-4 months of food for balance meals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Theresa is there a good reason why your sister and her son aren't chipping in for groceries? That is an area people usually help with when they move in. Or I take it out of their rent/boarding money. It can be quite expensive to feed two extra mouths - especially a teenage boy! I'm feeding a 30 year old woman and it's $200CAD extra a month!
    Because she's the favorite child.

I moved in with my mom when I was pregnant and lived here with her and my son. My mom retired in September to babysit for my son so that I could go back to work full time. She's completely against daycare or hiring a babysitter, so after 39 years of work, she decided to retire to stay home with him.

In exchange for room and board and babysitting, I pay her $100 a month, plus buy at least 90% of the food and household consumables. I leave for work at 7:15am, get home at 6:30pm, and do laundry, dishes, and other housework, all while watching my son in the evenings.

My sister and her son (and their dog) moved in around June after she decided to separate from her husband. She pays no rent, doesn't help out on any of the bills, and the only food she buys is a pile of snacks she squirrels away in her bedroom. The original plan was to stay with us temporarily over the summer while she paid down some credit cards, and could afford an apartment. Its hard to pay down credit cards when in six months, she's flown to Florida and bought a new Coach purse. She doesn't do any chores around the house, and will only help watch the baby for a few hours until I come home from work and can take over. Luckily, my nephew is a the best kid you could ever have. He will often help me watch the baby in the evenings, and with a little encouragement, can be talked into chores, like feeding the animals, or unloading the dishwasher, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have about 6 months worth of food. Working on years worth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Make sure you write down shelf life for items.
    Here is some useful information on canned food from the USDA.

Are canned goods still safe after a year? Two years? Longer?
    Store canned foods and other shelf stable products in a cool, dry place. Never put them above the stove, under the sink, in a damp garage or basement, or any place exposed to high or low temperature extremes. Store high acid foods such as tomatoes and other fruit up to 18 months; low acid foods such as meat and vegetables, 2 to 5 years.

Canned meat and poultry will keep at best quality 2 to 5 years if the can remains in good condition and has been stored in a cool, clean, dry place.

While extremely rare, a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum is the worst danger in canned goods. NEVER USE food from containers that show possible "botulism" warnings: leaking, bulging, or badly dented cans; cracked jars or jars with loose or bulging lids; canned food with a foul odor; or any container that spurts liquid when opening. DON'T TASTE SUCH FOOD! Even a minuscule amount of botulinum toxin can be deadly.

Can linings might discolor or corrode when metal reacts with high-acid foods such as tomatoes or pineapple. As long as the can is in good shape, the contents should be safe to eat, although the taste, texture and nutritional value of the food can diminish over time.
    (Sources/Additional Information: Meat Packaging Materials; Food Safety for Persons With AIDS)

Common Food Safety Questions from FSIS - Food Storage, Preparation & Handling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I date things month/year when I get them. When I work on my pantry/stockpile I put the oldest in front. But still every now and then, I find something that's dated > 2 years old, and out it goes... a gallon jar of white cornmeal and about 4 boxes of "Cream of Rye" (in order to buy it at all we had to buy a case; we liked it, but not THAT much!!)

Anyway, that's what I do, date things as I bring them in and then periodically check & pitch the things that are too old. (The cereal wound up on the top shelf out of my reach/sight in one of my "stashes" which is how it got missed!)

I use price labels (when I have them) or just write on the package in ink.

IHTH!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have about 3 months of some things and about 6 months of others trying to go 1 year I'm doing a little at a time .I know I have a enough HBA to last a year or 2 !!!
    We are cancer free but dealing with lung issues
    (Life is fragile handle with prayer)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could live off my stockpile for about 2 months if I stretched it. They wouldn't be completely balanced meals, but I would be fed.

I would probably need to spend about $10-$15/week at the market for almond milk, fresh produce, etc. to supplement it.
    Meredith

Baby Step 1: Done!
    Baby Step 2: Working on it. Will take a loooong time.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i no longer have a stockpile

kindness is unlimited

fling: 0000/2012

2012 Goal: get out of debt
    debt: about 10,000 | owed: about 10,200

homesteading skill-a-month challenge: january/february/march - hydroponics ; april - solar heater

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default so how long after the expiration date on cans is good...

if i am reading correctly...2 years after.....is okay but nothing more than that? Just wanting to know...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used alot of our stockpile during the holiday season last yr. I am going to Save a lot next month to stock back up on canned goods. Most of their canned goods are cheaper than the other grocery stores. I can get enough canned goods to last all year there. In the past I have not spent more than $100.

I still have at least 6 months body wash, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry detergent, handsoap,pasta,deodarant and oatmeal. I have probably 3 yrs worth of Excedrin products I ended up getting for free w/ coupons. I will be donating alot of those.

We have 2 cases of MRE's and 15 lbs of flour. We keep dried beans, rice, powdered milk, sugar, and cornmeal in great quantities too.

I have 3 months of juices and vitamin waters (found an excellent sale at a salvage store).

I have 6 months of hamburger and tuna helper (again , salvage store).

I have 2 months of cereal.

I need to concentrate on building up my stockpile this year. As you can see my stockpile is kind of unbalanced. Using coupons has helped a great deal.

Tonight's stockpile meal : pinto beans (known as soup beans) and cornbread. Yum.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If your really wanting to stockpile keep a log of all your meals and how much of each you used..As AnnK said take the amount and x how ever long you have keep the log...This will give you a good idea..I haven't done this since my kids left home but when they was all home I was getting grocerys by the truck load once a year..I did get potatoes from the farm in 50# bags and had a cool dry place for them..We also had a garden and I canned a lot of it..Milk was about all that I would buy..I made my own bread so we could go a year with just fresh fruits and milk..when they was a good price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm planning to buy about $500 worth of stockpile when we get our income tax back. The rest will go to bills (had to charge a washer and dryer at the beginning of this month) & a little mad money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I carefully rationed my food, we could make it for 6 months. My goal is to have 2 yrs for a family of four stored up. My husband thinks I'm crazy. But I think that there are no gaurentees in life, and we sure don't have a gaurentee that our jobs will be there for us, that terrorists won't strike, that our economy will stay strong....hope for the best and prepare for the worst : )

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast