Frugal Village Forums banner

Fancy a Natter?

Tags
fancy natter
19K views 328 replies 11 participants last post by  britbunny 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and anyone,

How are things in your world at the minute?

Things are generally good with me, there is still some uncertainty about DH's job - but his boss has been discussing some long term projects with him so it points to his job being safe but you never know. I'm also looking for a job, but at the minute I'm looking for something I want to do rather than just any old job, but obviously there's not all that much about just now.

But other than work everything is brilliant. We all love the new house and the new area, getting out and about lots. Plus we have the bonus of quince and blackberry bushes in the garden *yum yum*

#2 ·
Hi there.
I'm coming up for air for a little while after doing laundry and ironing most of the day.
It is SO HOT here - it is HORRIBLE!!!!

#3 ·
Welcome back! Hope you had a good holiday and are emerging from under the big pile of laundry!

It has gone from one extreme to the other weather-wise here. For the past few weeks it has been very hot but that's all changed now and we have nothing but lashing rain and very very strong wind.

#4 ·
Hi there,
We had the stormy winds too plus the torrential rains but they only cooled things down a little for a couple of days and starting today we are going to be boiling hot again for a few days - at least till Friday.

The holiday laundry is more or less away but now I am having to catch up on the rest of the stuff (including the finances OUCH!!!!!) - sometimes I wonder if a holiday is worth it - considering the work we always have to do before we leave, on top of what we have to do when we come home (this is always the case when we go away without the kids).

The VERY best holiday I EVER had was a few years ago.
All the kids went to visit my mum and dad in Scotland, so dh and I had the house to ourselves for 5 days. I missed the kids of course but it was the best rest that I have ever had.

Today I am trying to do SO MUCH plus a dear girlfriend of mine is coming to visit this afternoon. I haven't seen her or her dh or 3 kids for a few years (ever since she moved to the UK). She has been living near Manchester and is coming back to visit her mother before she moves again. This time she will be in Switzerland for about 3 or 4 years.

This coming week is also going to be hectic - tropical heat or not.
I have to pick up my fil and take him to the eye hospital tomorrow. This is a long appointment so most of my afternoon will be taken.

Also this week I have to go to the bank with our daughter to get things sorted out for her stay in London - bank account-wise.

Then we also have to look for accommodation for her for the 6 months there.
Plus we also have to get things arranged for her student grant so that she gets it transferred there and that the amount is adjusted (she will get more while she is there).
Of course she could do this herself but I will have 'power of attorney' while she is there so we have to do it together.

So I'd better get going.
Have a great day.

#5 ·
I am on lunch break at my in office job i do 1x a week reading while eating. I am busy coming up with a gazelle like plan to pay off debts faster - getting back on track after a few crazy weeks with the kids last weeks of school and two mini vacations one to Hershey park and one to Ocean City NJ .

Planning to start picking up a little more work at my other job but not too much as kids are out of school .

Thinking of my messy pantry and how i need to do some re-organzing and better menu planning with what i have in the pantry and freezer .

And planning a few frugal activities to do suring the summer with the kids . Usually one day each week when i have off i let one of the three youngest pick an acitivity .

Reactions: pollypurebred39
#6 ·
Afternoon All,

Weather is terrible hot here too. Been praying for a cold front and more rain to move in. Rain means I don't have to water the garden!:)

#7 ·
It is very hot here in South Carolina, too. People are talking that global warming is a joke. HA! It is uncommonly warm here since the beginning of June. We've had very little rain in my town. Other towns around the perimiter of me get rain. We're talking about those only a half-mile or less away. I swear we're in a black hole here. We did have some quality rain last night. It lasted only a little while. No garden watering tonight!

We just returned from PA last week. Yeah, it was hot and humid. You got snow and heat pretty bad this year, Polly.

Work is good but sometimes hairy. I guess everyone is walking on a razor's edge with this economy.

Cleaning house today and trying to plan for dinners for this coming week. Doing lots of laundry. Checking out this forum. Trying to get ideas how to pay off more bills more quickly. I need to organize a couple of rooms.

#8 ·
I hope you get a good soaking soon. I know watering the garden is not one of my favorite chores.

I sure didn't mind the snow, well...maybe a bit. I could have done without the messy boots tracking across my kitchen floor! The heat, now the heat just kills me. UGH!

Yeah, this economy has been pretty rough out this way. The good news is DH got a honest to goodness real job! It's a short one, about 4 weeks, but it just might lead to more work. I swear when I saw his paycheck I about danced a jig! Can't wait to get some of this debt paid down!

I just hung out today, being a bit lazy. :) Got to do what you've been up to but haven't been able to make myself!

Reactions: britbunny
#9 ·
Well yesterday which was supposed to be a day filled with chores completed, fizzled out into a day with me on the couch with a bad headache.
I did get some of the stuff done before then but def. not all of it so that leaves more for today/this week.

Before I get up from this computer I will have made a schedule for this week. This always helps me get organized.
Trouble is, it is too dang HOT!!!!!

Ah well, better get started.
Have a great day!

#10 ·
Hi everyone, good to see you all here.

We've had another day of nothing but rain - we still have a hosepipe ban though! It's nice to wander down to the beach in the rain - there's usually only us and the dog walkers on days like this so it's very sociable as we all discuss how we must be mad to be running about on the sand.

DH is off work today so we went to the Lake District which is gorgeous even in the rain, we went to Windermere and Kendal. It was loads of fun and DH managed to pick up an inexpensive waterproof jacket (luckily for him!)

Hope you're all having a productive day.

#11 ·
Good Afternoon All,

Woke up to an early morning thunder shower today, so no watering plants today! :)

Have spent the day making a special soup to nurse our ailing kitty. He's still just feeling so yucky, poor fella. :(

Today I need to get some wash done and pick up a bit.

BritBunny, Love you walking on the beach in the rain. It sounds wonderful!

#12 ·
Hello sun is trying to peek through and it is succeeding. My DS is mowing w/ our new-to-us lawn mower.

I sent DH off to Bermuda IS. to work for about the 100th day. He should be back late Fri.

I will file coupons and study for my FPU (Dave Ramsey) class wed. We just did "Dumping Debt" and we are trying.
DD works as a jewelry instructor this evening. Good pay few hours. She pays for college books w/ her meager take.
Home price has dropped $120,000 but i am ignoring that. It still covers our head from the rain and will be paid off in 3.5 years. DH has a salary and we can afford our bill. So Far So Good.

#14 ·
Yesterday turned out, once again, nothing like I had planned.
I didn't even write down a list for the rest of the week as I had planned - how stupid is that.

Anyhow, I had to pick up my father in law to take him to the eye hospital (he suddenly had blurred vision and couldn't read the subtitles on the tv). He had called the eye hospital on Friday and got an appointment for yesterday. He was planning on taking a taxi and doing the thing himself but I didn't think that he could handle it all so I offered to take him and stay with him.
I picked him up at 1.30 pm and didn't get home till 5.45 pm. Whew, what a day. He was turned inside out and the result was that he has to be operated on for cataracts.
However my fil is an extremely high risk patient because of the major other stuff that is wrong with him so the hospital drs wanted to have a good look at him.
It's just as well that I was there because he fell twice (he also has balance problems) and couldn't see a lot of the time because of the eye drops that they used.

Anyhow I was glad that I had gone with him.

BTW our eye hospital is in the city center and has a parking problem. However I had heard that they now have a valet parking scheme and it is WONDERFUL! You pull up to the hospital, give your car keys to the lady standing there waiting and they park it for you.
When you are ready to leave you pay € 8 at the cash desk in the hospital restaurant and your car is brought to the front of the hospital. It doesn't matter how long you are inside, even if it is the entire day, it is only € 8. This relieves all the pressure of running to the parking meter (if you can find a spot) every so often. Considering how long we were there yesterday, it was definitely cheaper to do this option. I was VERY VERY impressed.

Before I picked my father in law up I had made jam from apricots from my own tree, done a HUGE amount of laundry (again), deep cleaned our daughter's room and generally did some tidying throughout the house.
I had left the grocery shopping till last because I thought that I would be home before 5.

Yesterday we had a BBQ in the evening with 5 of us and my ex-sil and her 2 boys (this was brother in law's first wife and NOT psycho). We had such a great evening. We laughed till we cried at various points.
Yup, all in all a good day even though it was HOT.

Today will be the HOTTEST day of the week with temps getting up to 32 deg. C. I will doing a mega-grocery shopping, finishing off the jam and going with our daughter to the bank. Plus of course the normal household stuff.
I am also going to plan a trip to London for around 8/9 Aug, since this is when we will be viewing rooms/appartments for our daughter for her placement in London. She will be leaving the last weekend in Aug. for 6 months. Anyone know a reasonably priced hotel near Tower bridge?

I will also have to water 3 gardens this evening. Our own, plus the 2 neighbor's garden since they are on vacation and I am looking after their houses/gardens.
Can someone send some rain please??

Have a great day everyone!!

#15 ·
Hi all,

Yes, it's a thousand pound fine for using a hosepipe during the ban.

Dutchie, most of the big chains can be found around Tower Bridge, I know there's a Hilton, Novotel and a Premier Inn. This site may help you out (I haven't stayed in a hotel in London for many a year). Due to the location I wouldn't think there were that many really good bargains, but you never know.

Hotels Near The Tower of London & Tower Bridge

Is your daughter getting excited about London now? I bet she will be once you've been over to sort out her new place!

I am a Dave Ramsey girl too. Hardly anyone in the UK knows who he is so I love coming over here where there are fellow fans. We have just finished babystep 3 which is great. It's a little different here as we can't put our retirement savings on hold. But I love listening to the show, in fact that's what I'm going to do right now!

Have a great day everyone, lovely to hear from you all.

#16 ·
Tell us more Dave ramsey please . he is not well known here is he? I have been going on that site you recommended moneysaving expert and have joined savvy saving . I have been on one of these before just got a LOT OF JUNK MAIL and telemarketers called dan with a indian accent asking me HOW AM I TODAY .. btw i am on hol this week and am having a break from OU

#17 · (Edited)
Hope you're enjoying your break.

I don't mind all that much if I get junk mail, as soon as I do I just contact the company and ask them to remove me from their mailing list (if I didn't spot a box that said "no communication" when I signed up. Most companies are pretty prompt. I had to do this with all the companies I've shopped with too as we moved house and I didn't want to junk to go to our old house. I never ever ever put my phone number anywhere I just won't speak to people on the phone. As you can tell I'm very antisocial, lol.

We have a Dave Ramsey forum here on the village, here's a link to the basics, what he calls his babysteps. The first steps are all about getting rid of debt, after that it's all about building wealth. There's a little jiggling to be done to make it UK compatible but the general outline is good wherever you are.

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/dave-ramsey/107294-expanded-baby-steps-stolen-mytmmo-com.html

I think lots of Brits would be put off as he is very straight talking and no nonsense but I find him lots of fun and really helped us get it together and get our debts paid off.

#19 ·
Dutchie glad it wasn't a stroke coming on.
I googled Natter-idle chat/chatter. Now I know.lol

Gray day,rained a bit last night. Stubborn cats won't say NO to coming in at night again. The 1 was starved this morning,serves him right. I must be off my teen needs a free frappe (w/ coupon) before college. She claims foggy brain from antihistamines taken for a cold. See ya.
Talk about the Ramsey thing later. gotta go sorry.

#20 ·
OMG IT IS SO HOT HERE!!

I don't mind some heat as long as I don't have to do anything in it.

Anyhow, we have been to the bank and got things sorted out for London. Thanks BB for the link for the hotels, I will def. be having a look.
I printed out a load of possibilities regarding flights. We just have to wait for dh to confirm his business appointments.
We will be combining the trip for Fiori with a trip for dh for business which will save us personally the price of a flight for him since the company will pick it up.
Fiori treated me to a nice lunch after the visit to the bank which was really nice of her.

Just 2 loads of laundry to do, dinner to cook and some more jam to make but first I will be having a break for 1/2 hour - I feel that I have deserved it.

#21 ·
Thanks one again for the link for the hotels, I finally found one that wasn't full.
It isn't a cheap hotel but is literally around the corner from her placement office so that is nice for her so that she can get used to the area.
Now we just have to wait for dh with his dates and see if they match up.

She is indeed getting excited but also VERY nervous. She is quite an adventurous person as long as people whom she knows well are around her. So this is a HUGE undertaking for her.

Thanks again.

#22 ·
Glad you found somewhere and hope the trip goes well. DH has been to and fro to London over the last couple of weeks - it's the census next year and he has to do some work on it so he's been up and down on the train.

Please keep us informed on how your DD is getting on when she's over here. I don't know if I could be of any help but if there are ever any problems then let me know and I see if I can help (although she's probably closer to home in London than she would be to me anyway!) Once she's done the placement does she have future plans? Would she like to stay over here or is the idea that she'll return home or venture off somewhere else. Apologies if you've already told us all this my brain and a rusty sieve have many similarities, lol.

#36 ·
AW, that is so nice of you. You just never know when I may have to ask for some info about something.

Dh has managed to make his appointments so it looks like we will be in London as from 7th or 8th Aug. till the 10th.
I booked the hotel anyway since I could cancel it without any costs and everything around there was full anyway. We know various hotels in the area around Oxford street but that's a bit out of the route for her for the office.
Now we have to get the viewings for the accommodations sorted out and the flights booked.

Regarding her placement.
She is now in her 2nd year and the placement is part of her course in the 3rd year. She wil be coming back to Holland somewhere around mid-Feb. 2011 after the placement and she is expected back at school on March 1st to finish her 3rd year.

She then still has her 4th year to do.
During the 4th year she will have to study at a foreign university for 3 months. When she comes home after that she has to finish school and write her final thesis for her Bachelor (all in the 4th year).

Don't worry, I will keep everyone bored to tears about her adventures in London.LOL

(((HUGS)))

#24 ·
Brit bunny-is there a place to rent them. We can for about $5. for several days. My kids test them before purchase that way.

Dave Ramsey (for those who asks) is a multimillion $ business man that was rich,lost it all and has regained his fortune. He gives step by step instructions on how to get out and stay out of debt. Baby steps it's called. His book Financial Peace University revisited is available online.
He discourages bankruptcy,encourages living on a budget,says to maintain $1000. for a baby e-fund whilest you pay off debt. He has religious based lectures but not so much that non-christians feel uncomfortable. A lot of churches here are sponsering the classes. I got his kit for $86. w/ book,tapes,course and workbook. You watch video in class and have group discussions w/ questions in the back. He is funny and it is entertaining. People w/ all diff backgrounds attend and that makes it more interesting. We are still paying off non-mortgage debt in Baby step #2 and can't wait to start making our 3-6 month emergency fund. i hope you'll check it out online. JUly 4th weekend the books were on sale for $10. plus shipping!!

#26 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Terrible hot today and the forecast is calling for more heat. There's no end in sight so far forecasted. :( I just do not find this agreeable at all, and frankly neither does our furry old man Iggy. He's wilting in this heat.

Yesterday, he became so effected by it that he just laid there on the floor and could not/would not pick up his head. Finally late last night he vomited and seemed to feel much better. This heat just really gets to him, even with the air on. But then, we do not keep our home as cool as most do with air conditioning. Our last electric bill was over $300 and that was with being frugal with the air conditioner. :( I'm looking forward to Fall :)

I caught the stomach bug that's been going around, still feeling blucky. Maybe I'll drop a few pounds, get something for my trouble. lol.

Plan on picking up around here today, nothing much. What about everyone else?

BritBunny, What's a hosepipe? and why would you want to use one?

#29 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone,

BritBunny, What's a hosepipe? and why would you want to use one?
That's a garden hose to us Yanks. You probably figured that one out, though. The people where I live call it a hosepipe, too. That confused me as well. They can't water flowers or anything. 1K is a VERY steep fine! I'm glad we have a well out here in the sticks.

It's still hot and dry here. Our hurricane season is on and we're waiting for the first one. The water should be hot enough to throw us a whopper this year. I hate bugging out.

There was a few sprinkles in the towns around us, as I was coming back from work today. Of course, we had nothing. I saw dark clouds and a couple of thunder claps, but we got nothing again. DH watered his garden. We sat and watched the water. Big time in the country!

#30 ·
So glad we are on private well. I hated those watering bans. It would seem I would just get the grass going again and August would hit and so would a ban. Do you have ozone day bans from mowing too??

All the Blockbusters went under. Hope it doesn't there.
And honestly,I had "hosepipe" narrowed down to garden hose or lawn sprinkler myself. the pipe had me thinking metal?? My gram was from Redruth but that was a long time ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.