Frugal Village Forums banner

90 days to better health

Tags
days health
2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  mauimagic 
#1 ·
I had a three month visit with my doctor today to go over my latest blood work. The numbers are not looking good.

For too many years now I have been bouncing back and forth but never fully commiting myself to the lifestyle I need to support my health.

So I am making a public FV challenge to myself to set a strong foundation for better health - and to do it for the next 90 days and see what the testing results are.

Daily goals:

Exercise
64 oz. water
7 veggies/fruit
Meditation
No white rice, breads, potatoes
Minimal to no sugars
Medication

#3 ·
Truthfully - soda is way down - very minimal - replaced with water. Need to change this behavior too. Mahalo, that's what friends are for.

#5 ·
You CAN do this! I started my 90 day endeavor to improve my health, lower my BP, cholesterol, blood sugar, and lose weight on December 8. To date I have lost 15 lbs and my BP is lower (I check it at home). I am looking forward to my followup visit with the doctor in early March.

He SAID he didn't think I could do it! I am out to prove him wrong.

FYI - I am using Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com. It has a food and exercise diary. It has a database with tons of food with nutritional values in it already and the ability to enter your own recipes. I am tracking my calories, CARBS, fat, protein, cholesterol, and sodium.

It has helped me to learn what a portion size is and makes me aware of every thing I put in my mouth. This is a lifetime change for me. So it is a learning process. But I have improved SO much in 45 days already!

GOOD LUCK! I am here for you!

#6 ·
I also wanted to say, eating a BALANCED diet is important. Also totally denying yourself things that you like isn't a good idea. Because when you fall off, you tend to fall off big time. TRY not to make lots of big changes all at once.

I am trying to make healthier choices and make existing recipes that I like healthier without having to cut them out of my life entirely. I REFUSE to give up my coffee.

Taking little steps in this journey should make it possible to stick with these changes forever. I am NOT on a diet. I am changing the way I eat!

#8 ·
Ack! Maui, I think you just eliminated 80% of my diet with the carbohydrate restriction! :)

Good for you for making yourself your #1 project. I know you can do it!!

I post a daily "to-do" list on my blog. I have found that writing it down every day, so I can strike it through when accomplished, REALLY helps me to do the things I might otherwise put off. Yesterday, for example, I was thinking about skipping the morning push-ups and sit-ups, but then I added it to my to-do list, and suddenly, it didn't feel optional anymore.

#9 ·
Lisa - I've never done yoga - but think it would fit in well - seems very gentle. Any suggestions for yoga that you have done?

Mary - am really excited to have you paving the way on your own journey. Totally agree with your comments - and they totally need to be said and repeated as we go through these new directions in our lives.

Mahalo Shellie. I really appreciate support - needed to learn late in life to ask for it and I am so glad of that learning!!

Madhen - I was thinking of just doing a blog, but decided I wanted to go more public -on FV- with this. However, now that you mention it - perhaps I could use my blog as another focusing centered piece - as you said - once you write something down it doesn't seem so formidable.

Mahalo friends for support, advice and sharings.
Started my day meditating and it felt great!! Cut my oranage and now ready for breakfast and the rest of my day!! Hope we all have good ones!!

#10 ·
i absolutely LOVE yoga! i do the power basics or vinyasa. enjoy both! community classes are also good. yoga just makes you feel good! i have not lost weight, but have taken off some inches. strange...isnt it? you just start to feel very good! i highly recommend it! although it is not on the "frugal list"..kindof on the pricey side, but, that being said, feeling good, and calmer is all worth it. give it a shot and let me know your thoughts...good luck to you

#11 ·
Mahalo for the ideas Lisa - I think I have a yoga video (yes it's that old) that I may put on and see how it goes.

#14 ·
Mahalo Palooka. Feel as if this is a day of progress - I did drive home another route so as not to go by a McDs - this is the perfect day for an icecream cone - but I did have a small bowl of snowman jello this morning. - think I still came out on the plus side.

#16 ·
Good for you for putting yourself in the "pubic" eye. I am doing somewhat of the same thing at work to help keep me accountable. I've joined the biggest loser challenge there. We weigh in weekly privately but then are % is posted publicly. I don't by any means have any expectation of winning as losing anything is always a HUGE struggle for me. I am hoping the "publicness" if it though helps to keep me from gaining anything back and maybe taking off at least a few more pounds.

#17 ·
TheRootedNomad - good for you!! going public is a great step to take!! Feel free to ost here too, I'd love to support your activities.

Shellie, mahalo for asking. This week I let myself be blind sided by being out of my routine which is not excuse since I might not have stayed focused anyway. I am definitely not giving up, but using my blog and these posts to redirect to where I want to be.

I am very thankful for this weekend. Came home from my workshop, went to take a nap at 5PM and woke up at 5AM today - anybody else need sleep? Guess my body truly needed it.

Over 30 years ago I lost 100 lbs. It was much easier then because I could focus totally on myself and the cafeteria where I worked had wonderful good healthy food - so I ate breakfast and lunch therer. Times change and while I don't have children at home, I don't seem as focused as to what I'm doing. Just observations, now I need to continue and strengthen my focus.

#18 ·
MM - good luck! I need to tighten up on these things too since my doc wasn't very happy either. I find staying focused is very difficult, because thinking about health and food is so mind-numbingly, totally, utterly Boring. I have zero interest in the subject, and never have. Even with big time issues, like when I was doing chemo, I couldn't pay much attention to it, probably because I was lucky and it never made me feel sick. Maybe your example will spur me to emulation. Something needs to!

You are one very determined lady - I'm sure you will succeed!

#19 ·
Mahalo Donna - please join in!!

Am using a technique we learned at the workshop this week - turtle power - stop and think. I used it this morning when I wanted to grab something to eat since I missed dinner last night and was starving. So glad I had purchased apples earlier this week because that's what I grabbed!! Now I'm going to make some oatmeal. One tiny step at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.