Frugal Village Forums banner

Three gallons a day!

Tags
day gallons
2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
That's how much water our AC is putting off! And it's not even running all day yet. DH noticed it going down the drain in the laundry room and hooked up the hose to a 5 gallon water jug. He waters a different section of the garden every night with it. At this rate we may not need to use the spigot this summer.

#7 ·
When I had the new A/C installed at mom's house, the city ordinance required that the water drain outside. The A/C guy put a threaded end on the PVC pipe and I connected a hose to it. I moved the hose to a different spot in the yard every day.

Our current A/C drains inside to the sewer line. Hubby is going to reroute it outside so we can water the yard. We are in a drought and the plants/flowers/shrubs/trees/yard can really use it.

In Houston heat and humidity I am betting it is more than 3 gallons a day here. It is predicted to get to 100 degrees today.

#9 ·
hmmm mine goes into the same discarge pipe as the washing machine right next to a utility sink. I think a bucket in the sink would be a great idea. Thanks

I like to take baths I have been trying to think of a way to use that water

I do have a friend and when they were rationing water for outdoor watering she used the discharge from the rinse cycle of the washing machine on her flowers.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I just wanted to resurrect this thread again for folks in the drought this year. The ground is dry as dust, we are watering our TREES now to keep them alive, the local corn crops are on the verge of failure, and no rain is in sight. I can't remember the last rain we had, I think it was in April. We are 8" below normal on rainfall.

And we're still getting nearly 3 gallons of condensation every day off the AC. I just watered out front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.