Frugal Village Forums banner

best product to clean mildew off old wood

21K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Libby 
#1 ·
I have an old church pew that became mildewed while living in my basement during an undiscovered humidifier leak from the humidifier attached to the furnace.

We had to move and I brought the pew, but haven't had time to do more than a cursory cleaning with lemon oil,

What would be the best product to clean the wood with?

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
I have an old church pew that became mildewed while living in my basement during an undiscovered humidifier leak from the humidifier attached to the furnace.

What would be the best product to clean the wood with?
Not sure but be careful and TEST FIRST in an area that wouldn't show..........

Here is something that was online.........I would 'google around' to see what they suggest..............and STILL BE CAREFUL. They
mention 'mineral spirits'.........and I just bought some odorless m.s. as I have been cleaning the 'carpet pad stains' off my hard wood floors............goo gone was working well and didn't damage it as long as I put the g.g. on a rag first..........didn't apply it directly to the floor.

Mold and Mildew Removal from Wood Furniture

Cleaning wood furniture can cause irreparable damage to the furniture's finish if the wrong methods are used, so start with gentle cleaners, working up to stronger solutions as necessary. Always test cleaners first in an inconspicuous area, such as the back or bottom or the furniture, before applying to a larger area. To remove mold and mildew from wood furniture, first try wiping the wood with a soft cloth and a solution of water and a mild dish detergent, using circular strokes. Keep the cloth barely damp, being careful not to saturate the wood. Rinse the cloth frequently. You can also use a commercial wood cleaner, such as Murphy's Oil Soap, instead. If the piece still looks dirty, try using mineral spirits. If the wood still looks dirty after using mineral spirits, the wood furniture will require professional treatment. Once the wood has been cleaned, the wood must be protected with wood furniture wax.

#4 ·
We had Adirondack chairs that grew mold after being left outside all fall/winter/spring. We power washed them, let them dry thoroughly then sealed them. So far so good. I hope we can store them in the shed or garage this year.

A church pew seems to be very delicate. Not sure if you'd consider re-finishing it and seal it properly to get rid of mold nor if it would damage it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.