Frugal Village Forums banner

It's time ~ the garden goes from hobby to necessity

32K views 548 replies 57 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 · (Edited)
Just returned home from my Dollar General coupon day (spend $25 - save $5...do it right, spend exactly $25 & it works out to 20% off everything you buy. That's all those $1 items now costing .80 cents)...My DG lets me do as many 'deals' as I want and I calculate them right to the penny of $25.... $25 worth of goodies for $20!!!

But this story is not about DG - so anyway, as I was driving home I noticed that gas has now gone up to $3.79 gal (that's 10 MORE cents since yesterday)....this is not good folks!

The weather is breaking and I have been staring at my garden plot in the backyard for the past few weeks, saying to the DH that I will once again plant a garden for us (Dh laughs hysterically at this comment every time. Where is the moral support here)...

Every year I plant. Some come up, most don't. The ones that make it above the dirt I somehow kill (by lack of water or weed takeover - I admit it...I kill them).

This year must be different. This year I can no longer call the plot my hobby that I can abandon at will when I grow tired of it. This year a garden is going to become a necessity everyone. Prices are going thru the roof and I see no end in sight.

You may say that not everything has gone up but let me tell you. I work in a grocery store. I watch items come in everyday that are now much larger packaging but have reduced contents inside and the prices are still the same. The manufacturers are playing with us consumers and your prices are very much going up on everything!

We need to do every tiny thing we can to keep as many of our dollars in our pockets as possible. A garden is one of the greatest ideas ever invented. It's very little outlay and a boatload of sweat equity. But the rewards can be stupendous!

I have a girlfriend who has a canner & the knowledge to use it so I made a deal with her the other day that if the garden has a bounty this year she comes with her supplies and shares the knowledge and I will share the bounty and we will can, can, can till we can can no more....

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Russ....oops! I am sure on a roll this week aren't I? I fixed it.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes...(even though I told a few folks to KMA the other day - lol)

#4 ·
Are you keeping a log for your garden? I hate journaling with a passion and since I'm the type to do everything by the seat of my pants, this is a painful approach. But we're so clueless about gardening, I have to write things down or I won't remember.

I keep track of where things were planted and how they did. Like last year, the peas and beans did great in the new raised beds we put in. The cucumbers, not so much. So this year I'll put the cucumbers elsewhere and use their space to grow more beans and peas. I also waaaaaayyyyyyyy underestimated the space the ground cherries would take up, and how popular they would be with the resident rodents. So those will probably not be grown again till I can figure out how to keep critters out, and have a space big enough for the bushy things. I keep notes on other things too. It's all in a binder, along with the tags from the perennials we've put in over the years and other info.

It's tough growing stuff up here, there's a lot of trial and error, and some years even green-thumb gardeners can't get good crops. So it's important to keep track over time. If the majority of years, a particular crop does well, then it increases the odds it's something that generally does well here. If not, and over time we learn something doesn't grow well here, then we just give that up in favor of stuff that's more forgiving. But without the garden journal, we wouldn't recognize the patterns.

If you don't know water-saving and labor-saving techniques, study up. We rarely weed and we use a lot of self-watering planters, minimizing what we do have to water. Mulching makes a big difference, too.

Plant some early crops. Once you start harvesting lettuce, radishes, and stuff like that and remember how good that stuff tastes, it helps keep up interest and enthusiasm.

#6 ·
growing veggies again this year too. I pray this year will yeild more. Like you...some came up & some didn't. Our soil here isn't too good - about the only thing that I've been able to get from it have been lettuce,blackberries & fruit trees. The rest of the veggies have to be planted in buckets & other containers. Compost helps tremendously.

#7 ·
Just came in from our first round of cleaning up the garden plot. Filled 2 of our 3 compost bins with leaves and dead plants from last year, spread last year's compost on what will be the tomato bed this year. Also got my garlic planted.

I definitely agree with you on prices of food and gas. And I hope, for the sake of gardeners everywhere, that there's no drought this summer. That absolutely killed us last year.

For a more successful garden you might look into companion planting -- what things grow well next to each other and what things don't. Also, I swear by weed barrier. We have quackgrass -- the demon weed from hell -- and it is near impossible to keep out.

Reactions: Frugal Nurse
#8 ·
I have had recent conversations with 2 ladies who have farms and good size gardens. Planning on what to put in for the farmer's market this summer. Also talking to 2 other ladies who put in good size gardens every year. We think a lot more people are going to be canning this year. Some will be new, and others will be dusting off their old skills.

My suggestion if you are new to canning, is to get your canning supplies as soon as possible. Because when season hits, you don't want to be scrambling for jars and lids, and none to be found. And I don't see prices coming down on anything.

I was in Aldi's the other day and saw canned peas for .99 :(
THUD. I bought frozen for .99 a bag. More peas in bag, versus canned which has liquid for part of the weight. I guess we need to put more peas in this year.

We're going to have to put down black plastic and somehow figure out cheap ways to have raised beds. We have a good tiller but it seems to stir up weeds. Our dirt is a lot better now with the sawdust and poo from the chickens.

Instead of making the chicken yard bigger, I told the hubby we need to fence in the garden better and let the chickens free range. We had decent garden fence last year, but it's going to look shabby compared to what my plans are for this year.

#9 ·
We're planning to start Phase Two of our garden expansion this year. That will entail building about 25 feet of fence with a gate, and at least one garden bed.

Last year we recycled some spare concrete blocks into a raised bed. This year we'll be using some telephone pole cross arms I picked up a few years ago for a dollar each.

We never get around to eating actual peas from our garden. We like the pea pods too much. I hope we get some to freeze this year. We love those and they're outrageously expensive, like $4/pound.

Nobody ate the green beans last year except us, so we're hoping to put in more of those this year and maybe get some to can or freeze.

#10 ·
I would love a huge garden, but when i do the lady next door raises feral cats, which i don't hate cats if they are kept in your home, well she lets them breed so by summer we will have at least 40 feral cats 4 of them are pregnant now. The city will not do a thing about it. So they use my garden has a dumping ground which is nasty.I might see about getting some type of chicken wire something with big holes the plants can grow through.. Fustrated ..

#11 ·
Nana2two that's horrible! I myself have a brown thumb- couple that with the sand we have here in the Granite state (NH) and it's a sad, sad site, my poor past attempts at gardening...but OP, you're right, it's time to buckle down and get moving on this. I should really do some research on some the the easier things to grow.....was thinking about trying some hanging tomatos, one friend gave me a tip- you know those fancy upside down tomato hangers you could pay through the nose for? Well, just take a regular coconut hanger, slice some small holes, insert some seedlings that have started to grow.

I've been considering trying that this year- would like to try my hand at canning tomatoe sauce and salsa.

#152 ·
Hi,
My sister just started gardening a few years ago and grows tomato plants in large pots with that moisture soil. (Costco and Sams sells it) and she feeds alot of people on her street tomatoes because she has so many. And in my experience the upside down tomato plants don't have a very large yield. The tomatoes that do the best for my sister in the pots is cherry.
Pam

#12 ·
I can't say enough about the benefits of gardening. We share a garden with our next door neighbor. We share the work and expense, and , of course, the produce. So far, it has worked out very well. And we have the extra bonus of socializing with our nice neighbors. I don't can, but do freeze quite a bit. We are still enjoying potatoes and onions from last fall's harvest; and I still have squash and green pepper in the freezer.

#14 ·
I am planting the following for sure:

lettuce
spinach
tomatoes
peppers (all colors)
eggplant
squash (yellow & zucchini)
cabbage
brussel sprouts

All of the above I have grown at one time or another successfully. Anything else I plant I never have much luck with.

I would love to have some root veggies (pots, sw pot, onions & carrots) but I have NEVER been able to grow anything like that.
And my corn, well that's a huge joke in itself. I really need to do the research and polish up my skills on these things coz I really do love all of them.

I have a nice fenced in garden plot that is surrounded by split rail fence with chicken wire on the bottom half. There are designated meandering beds outlined by brick with crushed stone walkways (think English Cottage type garden). The perimeter of the garden has raised beds surrounding all 4 sides.

So you see, I have the sources now I just need to get the gumption and do it right this year.

As someone said I need to start with a plan and get it all down on paper and that is what I will do.

Another plan I have is- I have been dragging home these plastic crates from the grocery (our produce comes packed in them) and my intentions are to line them with plastic (to keep the soil in), poke some holes for drainage, add soil and place them around the patio areas to house tomato & pepper plants. They are a low profile dark green so they will blend right in the outdoors. I will easily be able to get 2 plants per crate. My plan is to decorate the patios not with flowers but edible plants. And of course I have about a zillion patio pots that I can fill with goodies.

I have a booth at the farmers market that I sell handmade items at and if I am widely successful with my growing skills this year I might even be able to make a few bucks on my veggies too...

#17 ·
I would love to have some root veggies (pots, sw pot, onions & carrots) but I have NEVER been able to grow anything like that.
Try growing potatoes in a big pot. Here's one of ours.

Salvaged free from the metal pile at our solid waste transfer station. It's an old tub from a clothes washer. Works great. The platform it's on was just some scrap lumber I threw together, also free. Getting stuff up off the ground sure is a back-saver, and that makes us more likely to tend our plants. Not that they need much tending. BTW, you can see by the rock in that picture why container gardening and raised beds are pretty much our only option.

I think bulb onions are, for the most part, a waste of space. It's a lot of work and space and water and all you get is one bulb. Put in some perennials, like bunching onions or Egyptian walking onions. I got starts for both by asking on Freecycle. They're very hardy and you practically can't kill them. They're about the first thing up in the spring, too, and just automatically show up. They multiply so as long as you leave some each year, the onion patch will grow. The bunching onions produce seeds and drop the seeds, which grow each spring, no effort required on your part. The walking onions produce bulbils (which are also edible) at the top of the stalk. The weight of the bulbils makes the stalk bend down, so over time, the onions will 'walk' and spread around their area. Those also multiply and produce each year without any effort on your part.

Isn't nature wonderful?

#15 ·
does anyone here plant by the signs? i've been reading Firefox books again and several times it's mentioned...my grandma, father, nanny all used the signs to plant (tallest corn I've ever seen grown around here lol). I try to do containers so success isn't guaranteed. waiting on my order to come in.... to start a friend of the family who's up in yrs bag gardens: he goes and buys (not sure which brand of soil) about 50 bags and has them around in his 'garden'. that man grows peppers, tomatoes, beans, squash, cucks.

#16 ·
So I also share the goal to have a much better garden this year. Have moved the garden bed to the side of the house. It will still get plenty of sunlight, but not as direct or scalding, as it will not be beating off of the wall of the shop at the same time. Last year you could see the heat waves radiating off of the shop walls, and my poor garden baked, literally. So, have moved the garden, had DD2's boyfriend till it for me last fall. Have been saving coffee grounds and eggshells, over the cold season, and will have him till all of it up together this spring. Since Lent just started this past week, I know that I still have right at 40 days before planting. But it is time to start getting everything together. I also have plans of doing a strawberry bed around one of our trees in the back yard. The roots stick out above ground way bad, and rocks seem to sprout from it. So if I do a strawberry bed around it, it will solve a couple of problems. As well as the fact that I want a strawberry bed :p

#19 ·
sabrelvssammy - you can also train some to climb, depending on what you are using for trellis. I also use strips cut from hubbies old work t-shirts that have been laundered to the point of being very old and very soft.

Spirit Deer- you rock, I have heard of using trash cans, for potatoes, but would have never thought of a washingmachine tub. I have used the big totes for it to, and had medium success.
I have used the coconut planters to grow hanging greenbeans and peas to, but you are right they do dry out rather quickly.

#22 ·
I thought about that in the backyard but I was afraid that the vines would be competing with the grass they are growing on and then I wouldn't be able to cut tall grass growing in between the vines but I suppose I could hand cut it. It would be worth the trouble getting all the wonderful veggies! Thanks!

#24 ·
Yes I have a deck but dh would have a cow if he had to stomp over squash vines every time he went out- lol

#25 ·
I am going to have to agree. I just saw the price of gas go up almost 6 cents OVERNIGHT! Gas is basically 4.00 a gallon and I too do not see an end in sight. My garden is going to have to be able to help sustain my family. Enough to eat fresh and enough (hopefully) to can and put away for the summer. My electric is going up, gas up, cost of pretty much everything is going up. I need to cut costs and corners where I can. Thanks for posting.

#27 ·
I have been studying and planning out my garden since the beginning of January. We will absolutely need the garden this year. Due to the mild winter we have had I even jump started our cool weather crops (lettuce, spinach, broccoli, chard and peas) planting them the second week of Jan. Invested $8 in felxi-pvc and plastic to build a small hoop frame over the raised bed I use in the Spring. I cleaned out a flower bed that never produced many flowers because it is too shady once the trees leaf. Instead I am using that this year for more cool weather crop that will use the abundant late winter & spring sunlight. I will be harvesting lettuce in the next week or so. Maybe this way I can harvest something worthwhile before our 80-90 degree May days.

DH expanded our summer garden plot last summer. Since we got the hens in Jan I have been throwing waste hay from the coop in there to be tilled in before we plant. I am studying companion planting with herbs and some edible flowers for the garden area.

DH has also given me the greenlight to fill a good third of our back deck with containers. We have built ledges off the deck to hold window boxes for herbs. My mom passed on about 10 planters she didn't need anymore. I am going to try planting potatoes in containers along with a lot of herbs. Yesterday, when I went to the Garden Shop for the seed potatoes, they were giving free strawberry plants to kids...so I brought three of my kids with me. I will add those to the volunteer strawberry plants I found growing in my 'trash' container from last year. Thought the roots were duds since they didn't do anything...this year they are already sending up strong, healthy leaves.

Between repurposing space and containers we are almost tripling our garden. I hope we have as good a year as three years ago. Weather has done its number lately. I'm already dreaming about roasted veggies and simple pasta meals made with olive oil and fresh herbs.

I am planning on doing mushroom kits to grow inside year-round. They are pricey, but still work out to about half the retail cost per pound when harvested. We have started replacing meat sometimes with mushrooms.

I am also planning for fall plantings of garlic, onions and greens. I will use plastic hoop houses to try to keep the harvest going as long as possible into the winter.

#29 ·
I don't think they need to attach to the ground, but someone with more squash expertise might have a different and better answer.

You could put a pot on the patio and also plant squash elsewhere and see what does best where.

How much squash do you actually eat each year? For us, we don't use that much and it's not a huge expense, so we've decided it's not really worth growing it considering the space and care it needs. We feel our efforts are better put into more valuable crops. I usually buy a few squash in the fall when they're cheap, nuke them in the microwave a while, and freeze them in serving-sized containers.

You can use squash to make pie, using a pumpkin pie recipe. They taste about the same.

#30 ·
How much squash do you actually eat each year? For us, we don't use that much and it's not a huge expense, so we've decided it's not really worth growing it considering the space and care it needs. We feel our efforts are better put into more valuable crops. I usually buy a few squash in the fall when they're cheap, nuke them in the microwave a while, and freeze them in serving-sized containers.
I eat BOATLOADS of squash. Yellow, zucchini, butternut & spaghetti (which the last 2 I am going to have to grow too). I probably eat it 4 times a week in some form (being a vegan and all).

I stir fry a lot of the yellow & zucchini. And put it in soups. And slice up and pan fry to eat as 'sandwiches'. We grill it too.

The butternut I either cut in half & bake face down in a shallow pan of water and then scrape out the insides (like mashed pots) or I peel & cube and sprinkle with cinnamon & pepper and bake and it comes out like chunky potatoes. (super yummy!)

The spaghetti is great baked and then hollowed and it's just like 'spaghetti' (hence the name) and I use it in place of pasta.

So see- I NEED squash! Currently I am able to buy the yellow & zucchini in the reduced produce section and when I see it I hoard it up. I have 4 gallon size bags chopped and waiting in the freezer.

#31 · (Edited)
I know that potatoes can be grown in plastic bins- a friend did it with great success- she took what I would use for a toy bin or a laundry bin (round plastic with rope handles) put her soil mix in, planted tater eyes and just watered and waited....she does this yr round as she and her dh turned a room in their home into 'greenhouse'. for vertical growth she made trellis' (lattice board and zip ties) and gently tied up the vines near where the 'fruit' was starting to grow. her cucks were very prolific. she also utilized her deck by using hanging planter boxes and letting them drape over the side.

edit: forgot to mention- my first yr here i put a small teaching garden out for my children-we had cucumbers, tomato's and crookneck squash- with limited space I used this method and to my surprise it was a success;) I had about a 3'wX4'l area so I used wooden stakes and kite string to make a trainer for the vines and as they got larger/longer I just added more string- think that I went through a half a ball of string. since I had poor soil they didn't get a bushy as I would have liked but they did well with lots of miracle grow. kids lved helping harvest.

#33 ·
Okay, I was thinking of winter squash, not summer squash.

Zucchini does well in a large pot, and it doesn't spread. The deer love the blossoms though, so it has to be protected if you have critters like that. We grow ours inside the dog yard fence so the deer can't get at it. Maybe you could grow that in a pot on the deck.

#34 ·
An easy, quick, and inexpensive (relatively) thing to use for trellises are those metal cattle fence panels. They don't rust, either, and require no maintenance. All they need for support is about four metal fence posts driven into the ground. It's been a few years since we bought ours but I think they were four feet high and sixteen feet long. They're not as pretty as lattice, but it's easier for climbing plants to wrap their little tendrils around, so it's less work. Be sure you don't use pressure treated lumber for anything having to do with gardening.

My only concern for growing on the patio would be how hot the concrete might get.

We like summer squashes prepared all the same ways you do, too. Tell me more about the sandwiches made with those. We're not vegan but I'm always interested in ways to eat less meat for health reasons and also cost.

#35 ·
Thanks for the info!
I could probably put a little bed of straw down on the patio for a 'cushion'.

The sandwiches are just the squashes sliced lengthwise to whatever thickness you like and then fried in a little olive oil. I season mine with garlic powder, chili powder & pepper (a mixture that I seem to put on everything!) Fry them till they get a little 'crusty' on each side and you are done. I do eggplant that way too. Then I put them on a slice of toast (I prefer toast to bread)... and they are really good topped off with some salsa too!

Come to think of it I have to go add eggplant to my 'patio squashes'...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.