Frugal Village Forums banner

What odd behavior does your pet exhibit?

4K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  FrugalKat 
#1 ·
My cat seems to really like the sounds of paper, especially brown paper bags. Doesn't matter how big or small the bag but she likes to sit on it then use her back feet to make noise. Always freaks me out at first since I think she is going to the bathroom but no, she is just moving her back feet back and forth making noise. Does it everytime I leave a bag out for her to play with.

So what odd behavior does your pet exhibit?

#5 ·
My one cat Baxter has a shoe string (actually it's a brown string from a boot- the only kind he likes) and he carries it around the house with him where ever he goes. He puts it up on the couch with him where he sleeps. When he wants to play he lays it on the floor and then lays on one end of it and just lays there and stares at you. When he sees you coming he jumps up off the end and waits excitedly for the games to begin.

The other cat watches you sleep. Seriously, he stands up by your pillow and stares at you for the longest time. (I can tell coz I look at him with one eye slit open). He doesn't say anything (yes, he CAN talk) and he doesn't do anything. Just sits and stares and stares and stares... weird

#6 ·
My bloodhound is afraid of changes in floor textures. My other dogs don't even notice but she is frozen in place before each floor texture change. She will sit, stare, whine, sometimes pace back and forth if there isn't a way around the change, then with coaxing or sometimes on her own will "brave" the change and step tentatively on it, then be fine on that surface until the next change.

So its pretty odd through the day as the house has carpet, linoleum, and the cement of either outside steps or basement flooring. I thought it was just initially because her first owner had her outside 24/7 so she only knew dirt but it has been two years now and its every day all day both at home and when we leave the home. *shrug* I ignore it at home because I know she will "work it out" on her own, and if we are out and about I just encourage her and keep walking ahead of her which makes her even more anxious so she'll plow forward to be with me across whatever change it was. Outside its any change between grass, pavement, sidewalk, basically its a texture change is all I can figure out. Or a visual change maybe, not sure what triggers it.

At the vet she doesn't like that they have a huge rug on the tile floor. She wont want to be on the rug but if she does finally go on the rug she then doesn't want off the rug back onto the tile, then again the linoleum of waiting room is another hurtle, its all quite odd to me.

#8 ·
my pets are insane. William, my 22lb cat is afraid of bugs. He will cry until I come kill the bug. Buffy, my first kitty cat, grooms her tail so weird. She trims the fur so that it looks like a little point. SOmeone said it looks like she got her tail stuck in a pencil sharpener. The vet said since she's not actually pulling her fur our, or chewing her skin, she;s just being a picky groomer.

My cat Bubbles, my son's baby, thinks she's a dog and carries army men around in her mouth. And stuffed animals. And she steals things like the wire mesh drain from the tub.

#9 ·
Thought of another thing. The cat does not like to be in a room and have the door closed. She immediately starts crying and wanting the door open. This also goes with being on the balcony. If I close the screen door when she is outside she goes to the door and yells, becomes very anxious. Doesn't matter if she was just sun bathing outside on the balcony and I am sitting next to her, as soon as the sliding screen door is closed it is time to go inside for her. So I have to leave the door open at all times when she is on the balcony. Main reason I let her out on the balcony is so she can get some sun and move around. Not sure how this will go when the bugs start flying.

#10 ·
Yogi likes to "talk" in your face. He gets up on his hind legs and kinda complainy growls but w/o malice or teeth. It was freaky the first time he did it.

Several of my animals like to lick metal. Like for an hour!

I have a cat that is psychotically afaid of plastic garbage bags. All mine are rescues and it makes me wonder?

My DH works from home and has frequent conference calls. Our 1 cat has a "friend" at another house that she will talk back and forth to while my DH and his assoc. are talking.

#11 ·
Not sure if other dogs do this but my poodle spins around and around in circles and fluffs and scratches whatever he is going to be lying on. Sometimes he takes several minutes to get comfy and spins 20 or so times (I count because it's funny :) ). Sometimes after all that effort he just gets up and walks away.

#21 ·
My Saint fluffs every thing she can lay on. I can't keep quilts on the couch because she takes them off.I had a old antique quilt in a antique crock and she dug it out of the crock and knocked the crock over and broke it.This was a huge 50 gallon crock.

#13 ·
My cat sassy likes to talk on the phone she will aggervate u to say MEOW, she also like flowers and will lay under the vase to smell them, she like to play on the keyboard, she like to have the powder or blush brush used on her face when I do my make up..... Jasper likes dog treats better than cat...Ruffie licks your eyeball lid... all the cats want to lick the butter bowl.. and eat bread, jasper steals tomato slices off the kitchen counter, Ruffie
licks raw onions....

all the dogs are afraid of thunder... Orey and Levi will both shake the toy and growl.. Pooh wil lick your leg or feet till she goes to sleep.... Orey is afraid of bugs and will whine to come in if he sees anything that flies... Orey will limp for attnetion.

Just like children and when I am really busy the dogs will go eat paper and shread it for me clean up when the ring leader Orey does it and the rest follow the leader....

#14 ·
Everything my Jack Russell does is odd, LOL!

My little dog that came from a hoarder has some really weird mannerisms ~ when she gets nervous, she licks constantly. She "swims" with her front paws, she takes one piece of food at a time and runs somewhere no one can see her eat (she used to hoard her food so we've made progress) and the list goes on. She really has gotten so much better and I think she will probably have these mannerisms forever :(

#15 ·
my dog will take a bite of his food carry it to the living room and eat it and then go back for more until he is done. Maybe its instinct or something. He will also watch me sleep sometimes its kind of funny but I think he is just waiting for me to wake up so he can get attention.

#16 ·
Thought of a few other things...

Delilah (mom's dog) will lick your legs if you get out of the shower and she's near by. Noah (cat my parents lost :( ) would pace the whole entire house into and out of every room just meowing at all hours of the day and night.

#18 ·
My dog eats flies,spiders & ants. He lays in the floor like a rabbit with his back legs kicked back.

#20 ·
My Saint is afraid of her tail. She will see it move and she will jump. Her bowl of food and water is in the foyer area around 6ft by 6ft when the door is open she will not go near her food or water.

#22 ·
My dog growls with a toy in his mouth also. He does this grin thing too which freaked me out the first time he did it! He bares his teeth but that is just his way of smiling lol! He also sneezes from excitement constantly. He very rarely barks so when he does bark we are all surprised.

My cat is obsessed with trying to spill the water bowl.

#28 ·
My dog growls with a toy in his mouth .
This reminded me......when I settle down in the evening to watch the news......Oreo (my little white boy---poodle mix) HAS to have a toy with him when he gets up on my lap.......but he is careful to pick a smaller one cause he has to jump with it.

I think they have "reasoning' capabilities.........he knows that if he picks too big of toy he won't be able to then jump up on my lap!! Have seen him drop a toy if it is too big..........

#23 ·
Our big cat, Dittie, loves straws, he'll steal them out of drinks if you don't watch him. He doesn't play with them, but does carry them around everywhere. He also sucks his tail, like a baby sucking their thumb. Another cat, Ember, has to constantly be in someone's lap, if you got your legs crossed, or have something in your lap, she'll yowl at you until you clear the way for her. Our beagle, Copper, will crawl under the blankets on the bed, and then use a pillow for her head, and our Boston Terrier/Min Pin, Button, is deathly terrified of her reflection lol

#24 · (Edited)
Marilyn & Monroe & Haze

We have two rescue kittens named Marilyn & Monroe.

Marilyn is tiny for her age and she gets stuck when she faces a wall or the back of the sofa. She'll sit there and cry until we turn her around and then she's fine.

Monroe is twice as big as Marilyn though they are around the same age. He's like a hypervigilant watchdog who perks up and investigates unusual sounds.

Haze is a little rescue puppy who drags every thing that will fit in his mouth to the middle of the front room. If something is missing, we look there first. I told my daughter we should just put him a hard plastic kiddie pool there and stencil Haze's Toy Box on it so it doesn't look so messy. :)

#25 ·
My cat LOVES dog food- dry kibble. She eats some cat food too, but given a chance she climbs right into the dog food bag and helps herself. If we put it away where she can't get to it she cries constantly. We make sure she gets her species appropriate food as well, since their nutritional needs are different, but she would be perfectly happy to only eat dog food. Our other cat wants nothing to do with it!

#27 ·
Made me think of my sweet Spunky a very large 24 lb cat. She would just have to see an ant crawl in front of her and she would start gagging. This would happen every time, she sees it jumps up gags and then runs or waddles off kicking her back feet like she stepped in something...was the funniest thing. She passed away this last year, still miss her.

#30 ·
My poodle definitely has those reasoning capabilities. She will even pick the fuzz on a large tennis ball, just so she can pick it up (even though she has 3,000 small tennis balls that fit in her mouth). She has one off the oddest mannerisms when she drinks water. She'll take a couple of sips, and look up at me for what seems to be approval. She'll take a couple more sips and look up again. She does this 5 or 6 times, until she's no longer thirsty - EVERYTIME she drinks water.

My dachshund is infatuated with bugs and frogs. He never kills them, or bites them, but just follows their every move. If they stop, he'll nudge them along with his nose. He also loves to watch any type of commentated sport on the tv. During a commercial break, he stands up and whines until the game reconvenes. I think he just likes the voices of the announcers, but he is glued to the television for the entirety of any game.

My 5-month old black lab is the BIGGEST baby in the world! He is terrified of everything, including the broom, vaccuum cleaner, mop, washing machine, dryer, dish washer and door bell. He's scared to jump off my bed, so he will sit there and cry his little heart out until I pick up his 45 pound butt and put him on the floor. One of his weirdest tendencies - if I leave a banana on the counter, he will get it, peel it, eat it and leave the peel on the floor. It's too bad he isn't weird enough to take the peel to the trash. :lip:

#32 ·
My cat Crash makes so much noise when he drinks water. You would think he is a dog, lol. He also loves to drink water out of the tank of the toilet. He comes running if he hears me take the lid off. Crash is also noisy when taking a bath. When i buy new cats toys, he will literally jump straight up and then dance around he is so excited. His nickname is goofy newfy and we love him that way. We had to bottle feed him after we rescued him.

When my cat fudge is happy, it looks like she is smiling. She will also bring some of her wet food into the living room to save it for later. We call it fresh kill. She likes to hide it for later. Both of my cats are talkative. And they are not even Siamese. They were feral.

#35 ·
My 'little white boy' came with that name..(Oreo).....he was a rescue.
Since I am horrible at naming pets, and he had already had it changed once, I just left it. Didn't want to confuse him any more or add trauma......since they weren't sure how long he had been out on the street when they found him. (he weighed three pounds when I brought him home and they 'thought' he was about a year old)

Funny part is..........I almost put Oreo in part of Muff's name.....since she was papered. Only reason I didn't is because part of her mom's name is Oreo..........too weird!! (didn't file the papers anyway, when I found out what a TOTAL RIP OFF it is!!)

Guess this was all just "meant to be"...........strange!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.