Frugal Village Forums banner

Ideas for a day trip to Boston?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  wellsronald18 
#1 ·
We are going to NH for vacation in June and want to take a day trip to Boston. I would like to take a walking tour along the Freedom Trail, but how can you tell what a good company is? There are so many and the prices vary widely. Also, what else would be good for a family of 6? Are there any lighthouses to visit? Thanks!

#2 ·
There is a tourist info place downtown near the Old State House.... you can get all kinds of free information there, including pamphlets that will let you take a self-guided tour. The "trail" is marked with red paint and bricks on the sidewalks. It is very easy to follow.

Visitor Centers - Boston National Historical Park

Also, I see the park rangers give free tours, on a first come first served basis.

#3 ·
Ah, just noticed they are moving to Faneuil Hall, about a block away, "The National Park Service visitor center at 15 State Street will close its doors on Monday, May 21, 2012 to be replaced by a new, state-of-the-art, visitor center opening in historic Faneuil Hall on Friday, May 25, 2012. "

#5 ·
My kids always like going to Faneuil Hall. One of my favorites is the USS Constitution. I loved going on the Swan Boats in the Boston Garden when I was a child. They also have Duck Tours now. Boston is fun and so full of history!
Not sure about lighthouses. I live in Maine and grew up looking out my window at a lighthouse. I live about 2 miles from it now.

#6 ·
I would say, consider parking at an outlying train station and take the train and then the subway to get around. I bet your kids will like that. Parking is miserable in Boston, as is driving.

Swan boats, yes!! Constitution (old Ironsides) yes!!,

What are your kids interested in? There is a good science museum.

#7 ·
By the time you pay to park at a train station outside the city and pay for six people to ride the T you might as well park in the city. We usually park at--I think its--South street parking garage right under Boston Common. We have taken the walking freedom trail tour with the people at the visitor center at Boston Common (sorry I don't know the name) and they were excellent. They dress in period costumes and stay in character during the tour. They take you as far as Paul Revere's house. You MUST go to the North End and have cannoli's from Mikes Pastry (they only take cash--no debit or credit cards). Also, as previously suggested USS Constitution, Fanieul Hall, Bunker Hill, swan boats in the garden, ride the T for fun, if you kids are little bring swim suits and let them play in the frog pond. You sometimes have to book way in advance for the duck boat tours so if you think you want to do that I suggest booking now. Also there is a great childrens museum. Dicks Last Resort just behind Fanieul Hall is a fun place to eat as is the Cheers bar. It will be fun no matter what. My husband was born in Quincy MA and we have family all over MA and in NH. We love Boston!!

#8 ·
You MUST go to the North End and have cannoli's from Mikes Pastry (they only take cash--no debit or credit cards). Also, as previously suggested USS Constitution, Fanieul Hall, Bunker Hill, swan boats in the garden, ride the T for fun!!
MMMMMMM Mike's is delish. I just had the chocolate chip cheesecake 2 weeks ago ~ big enough to share. The lemon gelato was just what I needed to wet my whistle after walking through Boston Garden.Welcome To Mike's Pastry! (index.html) If you do decide to visit the garden, read "Make way for Ducklings" They have little statues of Mrs. Mallard and family.

piney

#9 ·
All great ideas! The swan boats sound good, definitely Fanieul Hall and Boston Gardens looks good too. I wish we had more than 1 day! I need to do some research to see how much stuff we can cram into one day. Thanks for the tip on Mike's Pastry, a sweet reward at the end of a long, hot walk will be just what the kids need to look forward to.

We had planned to take the train in. The kids would like it best and we really want to avoid driving in Boston. We went for a day on our honeymoon and because we were staying late for a Red Sox games we had to head straight in and park, then later park again at the game. We paid $60 or so in parking that day - and that was 16 years ago!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.