Frugal Village Forums banner

Saturday's scores

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
Wow, what a great day we had while out saling! Today was the annual city-wide sale day here in town. I'm working really hard not to bring excess into the house, but there were specific things I went looking for. I found some of those, and also some things I didn't know I was looking for. :D

~ceramic swan planter, gorgeous iridescent black, $1
~some shiny reflective stuff to reflect heat away from the skylights in the new trailer, free
~huge box of PVC pipe and fittings to make a frame to hang privacy curtain in trailer, $3
~seven Corelle plates for camper, .50
~brand new screen room, fabric only, no frame, to make screen room for new camper, $5
~Aerogarden 3, $2 (came with six free tasty homemade oatmeal raisin cookies)
~shelf for side of kitchen cabinet, .50
~Jan Dressler stencils, plus bonus stencil, marked over $50 new, .50
~wrought iron free-standing hanging planter holder for new deck, $5
~multi-pocket net thingy to hang by the bed in the new camper for small items like glasses, .50
~package of six assorted new balls of crochet cotton, .50
~like new rubber tray to fit into the back of our van to protect the carpet, $3
~a cooling rack with narrow spaces for my mom to make Belgian cookies, .50

Then I went to our local Pamida store that's closing everything out and bought scrapbooking supplies for 30% off, so I can finally get started on that hobby. But it all will fit into the organizer I have for that hobby. Now I just have to get the pictures printed.

All in all, a fun day and not much money wasted on future clutter.

See less See more
#6 ·
Oh, SD, sounds like your day was as productive as ours. I am in the same boat, not wishing to bring in any excess, actually decluttering my house in leaps and bounds but there are still home areas on our second-hand shopping list that are completely in need of frugal shopping ventures! My Mister and I had a quite productive day yesterday as well.

$2 He found a REALLY heavy-duty industrial grade ratcheting strap (he practically RAN out of there like he was stealing! he could not believe his eyes but it was indeed marked at $2!!)
$6 He also found a Carhartt coat brand new (and perfect size for his dad for his birthday today)
$4 whole set of Bosch titanium drill bits
$3 dusk-to-dawn light, still new in box
$5 Milwaukee heat gun

$10 yard decoration, 4-foot tall eagle carved by chainsaw artist (I am thrilled!)
$5 each (2) single 6-foot shepherd's hooks for my yard flowers or a wind chime
.50 shorts for the DS14
$15 dresser for the DD13 (been looking for a fair price on a nice tall dresser for over a year!)
$20 Virtually NEW Playstation X Rocker gaming chair, wireless integrated-speakers video chair will be birthday gift for DS14: bargained late in the day, he was asking $35 (DS's current rocker is practically destroyed and VERY uncomfortable)

So we got some pretty big items and I was glad we were in the Mister's big truck :)

#7 ·
Piney, that's great you gave away your stuff. I bet the family you mentioned was thrilled! And it saved you from having to deal with it, so everyone wins.

Wow, Su, fantastic scores! You did even better than we did. I'm envious of tools, especially the titanium bits. I know just how your husband feels about the strap. I feel the same way when I find a killer deal that's just unbelievable! It almost makes me feel guilty. But then it doesn't stop me from taking advantage! :D

We're still looking for a Hitch Haul but I expect we'll have to buy one or make one. Our new camper has a hitch receiver on the back for a bike rack, but we need a place to haul a QuikShade canopy and some other bulky things and a Hitch Haul would work well.

#9 ·
Have you been getting out and about in your new area, Nuisance? We always found that a good way to learn the street names and locations when we moved to a new town. Plus find out where all the bargains were! Especially when we lived in Minneapolis, we soon figured out which areas tended to be overpriced, which areas had good bargains, which areas had junk, which areas we wouldn't get out of the car without a platoon of well-armed soldiers, etc.

The AG is only an AG3 and didn't come with the seed kit, nutrients, etc. which is probably why it was still sitting there near the end of the sale. That, and I don't think most people knew what it was. But we already owned nine AGs in various models so we have all the stuff, so it's a good deal for us. The funny part of that was it was marked $5 and we were okay with that price, but the seller was a co-worker of my husband's and suddenly decided it should be $2 instead. And then she gave my husband six cookies besides! I don't even care if the thing works, I would buy it for spare parts in case I ever need them.

#10 ·
Congrats to everyone on the great buys...........like miss.mom, I am jealous too. In my immediate area the prices seem high also.
Guess I need to do one day where I go to another part of town.

My area even has the 'chronic sellers'.............where they run one all summer long!!! :thud:

Do others have this? And most of the time, even early spring, it is just crap!!

#11 ·
We have a few 'chronic sellers' here too. But we've gotten so we recognize the addresses. (gotta love living in a small town!) and just skip them.

I'm having fun playing with my PVC score. It's like Tinker Toys for big girls! :D I dug up some stash fabric to make the privacy curtain from a set of lightweight drapes, and while I was at it, I found some perfect fabric to make new coordinating dish towels for the camper, three yards of vintage linen toweling I have no other use for. I'll save the blue ones that don't match for drying cast iron, on the rare days I actually dry the cast iron instead of letting it air dry. (After all, we camp to AVOID work!)

Time to get the sewing machines warmed up!

#12 ·
ohhh yeesss, we call those the Perpetual Yard Sales and they suck as do the people who go out all year long and buy stuff cheap from another yard sale, on clearance wherever, or the Dollar Store then over-mark the items and do their sales during every Community advertised sale (usually spring and fall or they just set it up when someone on their block advertises). I hate those.

#13 ·
Hahaha! When we sold our house in town to move out to the lake, we were guilty of having a sale if someone in the area advertised one. I guess we sorta did the perpetual sale thing, too, because we had seven sales that summer.

We were never organized enough to advertise because the ad had to be into the paper too far ahead and we never knew what else would need attention instead. So we left it all set up in the garage and kept adding to it as we could. When someone had a sale that would make most of the sale-goers drive by our place, which was on one of the two main streets in our town, if we had added enough stuff we'd just put out a sign and open the doors. We always had great business.

We weren't trying to rip anyone off or anything, it just happened to work the best for us to do it that way. We had three kids move out that year and moved from a six-bedroom home with double garage and basement to a single-wide trailer with nothing, so we had TONS we had to get rid of. It was a lot of work and a lot of chaos and there's no way we could have gotten our act together in between playing general contractor and talking to banks and selling the house and all that to plan far enough ahead for a garage sale.

#14 ·
Oh sure, that's different. I'm talking about people that make it a way of trying to make a living -- year after year! :) It's different if you keep adding more of your own stuff and holding sales - seriously, there was a woman who must have continually wiped out Kmart's clearance aisles! She had dozens of the same items for sale and I could see the markdown tags?!? :puck: And then she had literally tables full of dollar store items marked more than a dollar???

#17 ·
THAT is what I am talking about............and when I run errands, I pass about three houses that do this, from about April through Sept.

I have wanted to stop and ask them if they don't have something better to do!!!

That is one reason I don't get real thrilled with GS..........my preference is all our church rummage sales...........and I LOVE THOSE!!! ALWAYS GREAT
PRICES!!

I will sometimes stop at a GS when out running errands..........if I pass a sign.........but don't head out with the "ads" and hit a list of them.
(but then.........not in the need of much right now either.......did it more when I was first starting gardening, looking for items)

#18 ·
We don't go every weekend either. Don't need much. Right now I'm looking for particular items for our new camper. Otherwise, we most likely wouldn't have gone Saturday. Sure glad we did though. Five bucks for the screen tent material is an enormous savings. It'll help make up for the $50 :yikes: I'm going to have to spend to get three new baggage door locks. But one of the reasons we bought the new trailer was due to lack of security in our canvas pop up, and there's no point in trading for a hard side camper that everyone else in the campground has keys for.

#19 ·
I also had a great score at garage sales last Saturday. One of the local 55 and over parks had a garage sale.~
Scored:
5 T-shirts for DS who wears an XL for work shirts-$1 each
2 T-shirts for ME! One with the tags on it. $1 each
1 jean shirt for DH-looks like new.-$1
One large tapestry with boats on it.~it's gotta be 3 ft by 3 ft.~$5 (THIS I LOVE)
20 old westerns for my 88 yr old dad~$2
1 old chair~perfect for my porch...it has leather seating with wood at the bottom. VERY sturdy...I really bought it for Dad-he pushes himself UP~and the patio chairs are way too flimsey for that. ~$5. It was a STEAL~!
I caught him sleeping in it the afternoon I bought it~! LOL!
Also..one of those shaker things for seafood~still had the manual in it.~$2.
oh yeah...a teal shirt with glittery stripes in it for me for work~$.75~!
It was a GOOD day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.