Thriving through the Greek economic crisis - Page 77
Page 77 of 97 FirstFirst ... 27677475767778798087 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1445
    Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    And so many things have changed that even if people were willing to do things like that, it probably isn't even possible anymore.
    You've just hit on one of my biggest and deepest fears in all this. DH needs the computer so I'll leave it at that, but I think you understand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Didi, I just thought it would be fun to see the kids singing even if I didn't understand the words.
    I was joking. (but not the best of my jokes)

That's a lot of money to lose. It must have been / is hard for them.

Part of the problem is that most people have become like the L'oreal commercial: "because I (capital I) am worth it" or "because I deserve it". The social aspect of society is deteriorating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, that's not what I was thinking exactly. Although I do think you're right about society becoming less social.

Back in the forties, cars were easy to work on yourself. Now, they have so many computer-controlled parts the average person can't fix nearly as many things.

People have less space and less time to garden and/or preserve food themselves, so are often more dependent on grocery stores.

Much of what we do in modern life depends on computers and high-tech methods that didn't exist back then. Banking and all sorts of things have changed drastically.

Medical care was a lot more limited and a lot less high-tech.

The population was more blue-collar. People had tools and skills they might not have as often these days. If you were a man you were expected to know how to repair things. If you were a woman, you were expected to know how to cook and keep house. I can't say I agree with the distribution of roles, but social pressure helped ensure people did have some skills. Now it's more likely people have more education so they have job skills, a very good thing, but the basics are important too.

The majority of the population then was rural, whereas today the majority is urban. Of course urban people can learn skills like raising crops and preserving food, but IMO it's different if you're exposed to it as a way of life vs. having to make an effort to learn. The family farm was common back then, whereas now it's mostly corporate farms, so the family's food mostly came from their own land and usually the entire family was involved in making that happen.

The biggest change is in media coverage of any event. People are less trusting of government and also, there are so many people whose high-buck careers depend on making sure the left and the right are continuously whipped into a frenzy and at each other's throats. I'm talking about the pundits. The politicians are a whole other issue. The US would be far better off if no one listened to any of the pundits at all. They are, after all, merely giving their opinion and not reporting any news, and they have to create controversy or they're out of a job. The way things are now, there is no way I can see our country working together like it should.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, now I understand what you mean.

It seems that your remark is one we all agree about, but interpret differently

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read in a recently-published cookbook that backyard gardening is at its highest level in this country since the 1940s. That bodes well for self-sufficiency, saving money, and our society as a whole learning an important life skill. Maybe there's hope for all of us yet!

I do think a lot of people are self-centered but I think most do get a reality check eventually. Divas get the attention in the media which may make their attitude seem like the norm, but in reality, most of us aren't like that. If we were, the real ego-maniacs wouldn't be unique enough to be featured in the media. It's sad when children are raised to believe they're the center of the universe though. It has to be a hard blow when they become adults and realize nobody is going to satisfy their whims.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They were out of peanut butter today (the last day of American Week at Lidl) - neither of us was up to going before today (even today was rough) - but they had two packages of marshmallows left so I got those instead to justify the gasoline hahaha!! Dh has never had a marshmallow so I thought it would be fun.

Then we went to the regular supermarket and I got some pasta (on sale), milk for Dh, and a ton of soda water - the price had gone from 1.62 to 1.89 because they raised the sales tax on "soft drinks" and the store had a 20% off sale on "soft drinks" but when I got to the register they said "soda water isn't a soft drink." Dh said "then why is it included in the soft drink tax increase?" and I said "cancel the sodas, please!" so we ended up just getting the pasta and the milk.

Not very successful shopping trip...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess you're back to the point whereyou can laugh about this, but when you're in the middle of that scene in the supermarket it's less fun.

I was wondering about the motion sickness: does it make a difference whether you're a passenger or driving yourself?

Are Dutch products still boycotted?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Didi View Post
    I guess you're back to the point whereyou can laugh about this, but when you're in the middle of that scene in the supermarket it's less fun.

I was wondering about the motion sickness: does it make a difference whether you're a passenger or driving yourself?

Are Dutch products still boycotted?
    It isn't fun... I drink a lot of soda water. I need to have it if I'm in a car, it helps a little. Plus after meals, because of the gall bladder disease. So it's almost like a medicine for me!

I haven't driven in years - because of the drugs I take for motion sickness, I'm incompetent to operate a car. When DH drives, that's the best - he doesn't mind pulling over for an hour to the side of the road, or driving really slowly, or whatever. When we had money, he would even drive a route first by himself to see if he thought I could handle it (now we can't afford that). We can't take advantage of ride-sharing to reduce gasoline costs, because I won't get in a car if someone other than Dh is driving.

Where were they boycotting Dutch products? That sounds interesting... though to be honest, it would be very hard for me to think of any Dutch products here in Greece - I don't think I've ever bought any (to my knowledge). What do the Dutch export to Greece?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was referring to your "Not very successful shopping trip..." it seemed to me like you were already a bit over it. But of course it is not fun especially when you thought you were going to have a rather good deal for something you simply need (which is was not, compared to the situation prior to the soda tax).

There was (is?) indeed a boycot. Ehm other than the obvious bulbs, Gouda and Edam cheese and Philips electronics I would not know what we export.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I understood what you meant. If the boycott were a big thing, I'd have heard of it, so it must have been pretty limited. I don't know about any boycotts BUT there is a big movement among Greeks to buy Greek products, which no one can criticize. I didn't realize Philips was Dutch - I have a Philips kitchen scale that I bought in Greece

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like he asking you to go to a Vertigo clinic. Mayo does have a great one. They deal with people that get vertigo while driving or just being in any moving vehicle.Going up and down stairs can cause the motion sickness also.
    If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal. Not to
    people or things.
    - Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is not always fair. Sometimes you get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow.
    Don't wait for a crisis to look at your finances differently. Look at them differently now and avoid the crisis.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by greekislandgirl View Post
    I didn't realize Philips was Dutch - I have a Philips kitchen scale that I bought in Greece
    Now turn it around and it will probably say made in China

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GIG-sounds like you have food intolerance issues. That would explain the car sickness, digestive issues, and gall bladder disease. Do you soak your grains? Also, check out oil pulling. You will get some that say it is a hoax, but a lot of people think otherwise and research is starting to come out to support this. Can you keep a food diary and analyze micronutrient content? Sounds like your magnesium may be low (this is common) and your zinc is low partially due to your diet - this would explain the increased amount of sickness. I deal with these issues on a regular basis (oldest dd could not travel in car more than a few minutes, she and her sister still get car sick, we have to do special diets). You need to replace your good bacteria as well - good yoghurt, can you make/buy sauerkraut, make kefir? Just some thoughts. Oh, and stay away from sugar as it depresses the immune system-news over here is talking about how sugar should be a regulated substance.
    Starting Fresh and Not Kicking Myself

beginning of 2013 - Total debt 166712.68

October 4 - total debt 162610.11

difference of 4102.57

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
    GIG-sounds like you have food intolerance issues. That would explain the car sickness, digestive issues, and gall bladder disease. Do you soak your grains? Also, check out oil pulling. You will get some that say it is a hoax, but a lot of people think otherwise and research is starting to come out to support this. Can you keep a food diary and analyze micronutrient content? Sounds like your magnesium may be low (this is common) and your zinc is low partially due to your diet - this would explain the increased amount of sickness. I deal with these issues on a regular basis (oldest dd could not travel in car more than a few minutes, she and her sister still get car sick, we have to do special diets). You need to replace your good bacteria as well - good yoghurt, can you make/buy sauerkraut, make kefir? Just some thoughts. Oh, and stay away from sugar as it depresses the immune system-news over here is talking about how sugar should be a regulated substance.
    I've been on a lot of yogurt lately... lots of good Greek yogurt with local thyme honey and walnuts

I used to be majorly orthorexic (if you accept that term) and nothing really made a difference. My levels were perfect and I didn't touch sugars, wheat, corn, casein, dairy, meat, artificial sweetners, colorings, you name it. I don't believe it's diet related. I have JUST (yesterday) developed a really frustrating health problem but I don't think I'm ready to vent about it on here... I need a break!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When it rains it pours, it seems. Wishing you sunshine health wise & weather wise.