Frugal Village Forums banner

We're DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........

3K views 28 replies 28 participants last post by  handerson2005 
#1 · (Edited)
The day has finally arrived and we are now TOTALLY Debtfree!!!!!

Our last debt, the mortgage is now PAID OFF!!! The feeling is incredible. :teddy2:

I'm so thankful to God to have found Dave R, back in Nov 2004. Bought his book for me and the audio CD's for hubby (who's not a reader). We were on "the plan" starting that Dec and there was no looking back. Yes, there were times that were very tough, especially when hubby's focus would stray or his job was in jeopardy and we were on unemployment, but we stayed on track and finished the race!

The crazy thing is that when you totally are in control of your money, it almost seems that that you have so much more (even when you actually don't)! It's so important to stay focused......... especially when you pay each debt or reach the next "level".

Even though we now have no debt, we'll still be on "the plan". We need to finish up our fully funded Emergency Fund. We currently have 8 months saved, but I'd prefer a good 12 months for the sole reason that my hubby works in the automotive industry (Big 3) and as far as I'm concerned, their stability is always questionable.

We've already helped our daughter through college (she paid ½ and graduated debtfree). Now we're putting away money for a possible wedding in a year or two. We still have a son in highschool and have to finish saving what we'll contribute to his education.

Also, we need to get so much more into a retirement fund. I'm taking on the view of not counting on his pension (although hopefully it will still come through), so we need to save a lot to support ourselves. We have 15 years until he's 65, so while we can relax because of the lack of debt, we still need to stay focused to finish up the retirement step.

2011 is an exciting year for us! My hubby just turned 50, we've now paid off the house and in June we'll celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary! We have 2 wonderful children and great family & friends! We are so thankful and truly blessed!

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble...... just so excited and want to encourage everyone to HANG IN THERE!! YOU CAN DO THIS TOO!! :grouphug2

See less See more
#2 ·
Ramble away, baby!!! That's awesome and totally ramble-worthy news!!!! I'm so proud of you. What a tremendous amount of work that was, but you have accomplished so much and will now reap the rewards of your efforts.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Reactions: ConnieD
#3 ·
Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

#8 ·
:dancing: So happy for you!!!

#10 ·
Congratulations, I am so happy for you!!!! Good job!

#11 ·
Now get out there and LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!!!!!

Congrats!!

#13 ·
WAY TO GO! I can't imagine how great it feels to be YOU GUYS right now! All that hard work paid off, with interest(ha ha). You have all this time before you even retire, living DEBT FREE. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your accomplishment to help inspire the rest of us to keep our nose to the grind!

#15 ·
Awesome!!!!

#16 ·
That is terrific! Way to go! :dancing:

#22 · (Edited)
THANK YOU everyone for the congratulations!

It still feels kind of surreal, you know? The "normal" way of thinking is that you'll always have a car payment and you'll always have a mortgage payment. People don't even question that. It's pretty sad really.

I had to chuckle when I called the bank to put the final lump sum payment on the mortgage, to actually pay it off. The gal on the other end said "okay, let me pull up the account to see what your balance is. OH MY!!!! you only owe $______!!" I said, "yes, this is why the lump sum pymt. To pay it all off". She was soooo excited for us, you could just hear it over the phone. Kinda cool!

That's the key thing. If your mortgage agreement allows, put as much EXTRA on it as you can every year! Also, if you're able to increase your payments at any point, do this too! This is how we got it done years earlier!

No, we have not called Dave yet. I'm kind of nervous to, LOL! Gotta get my numbers all together of what the total debt was and how much we were bringing in on average. We probably will though.....

#24 ·
Congratulations and mahalo for sharing not only this incredible occasion, but also some of the details of what you went through!! You must be walking around on a cloud!! Make sure you tell us what Dave says!!

#25 ·
Congrats :hurray:eek:n your awesome accomplishment!!!

How wonderful it must feel to know that there are NO more debt payments that need to paid each month.

And look what a great example you and DH have set for your daughter and son!

#26 ·
Congratulations! Must feel wonderful...so very very happy for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.