Frugal Village Forums banner

How much to charge?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Greebo 
#1 · (Edited)
~An acquaintance just called and offered me a baking job. She'd like 200 mini cinnamon buns for her daughter's wedding in June.
I figured my recipe would have to be sextupled and the cost of the ingredients would be about $20.
The going rate online seems to be $1.50 per mini dessert.
I'm unsure how long it would take to make the minis. If I made six batches of regular sized buns I'd need 4 hours. So my time would be from 4 to 8 hours.
I'm considering charging $100 with an extra $20 fee to deliver and set up. (She would like them stacked like a wedding cake.)
Lastly, this acquaintance is a minister's wife. I know they don't have a lot of money.
Any suggestions?~

#2 ·
Seems like a fair deal to me.

#3 ·
I think your $100 plus $20 for setup and delivery is more than fair. I think it is very kind of you as well taking into consideration their financial circumstances.

#4 ·
The only thing you might take into consideration.....people are going to ask. So if she tells them she paid X amount, and people want to order from you (more business) they will expect the same *deal*. By charging her a third of what she would pay elsewhere, you may be setting yourself up for incoming orders....
200 mini cinnamons seems like a LOT of work for 100.00. I think you are selling yourself short. (and yes, I know you are trying to help them out....)

#6 ·
I too would ask the minister to reflect to those who ask with what your normal (much higher!) price should be. Something like... "She gave us the gift of much of her time but her usual price would be "$$$$". Should cover the ground pretty well, I hope.
~Those are good points but I really doubt I would take any other baking work I have my hands full already with running my home and teaching the kids.
This opportunity to make a little extra money just fell from the sky and I think it's a good idea to catch it. ;-)
Thank you, I appreciate the input!~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.