Frugal Village Forums banner

Just another "crazy"idea I have had....

Tags
crazyidea
975 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Momto2Boyz 
#1 · (Edited)
so as most of you know I have been trying to figure out what I can do at home to bring in extra $$. I have been looking at all sorts of different avenues and recently started thinking about doing portraits(photo).I recently went to the Womens Expo and saw a booth for a photo "studio" about an hour from here that does "glamour budoir" pictures...I was interested having them done and mentioned them to my sister who called, booked and had a session last weekend. I went for a few reasons...1) to see if I really wanted to have some taken 2) her moral support and a 3rd came up while I was there....her studo is at her house, in her bedroom.Was very professional, backdrops and such but as I watched I thought maybe I could do pictures.
I have decided to take some pictures of my kids, regular portrait type not budoir..lol and see what peoples honest opinions are. I will upload what I have so far and would appreciate honest opinions.
TIA

Heres a link the album
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/album.php?albumid=349

#3 ·
Disclaimer: I did take photography courses years and years ago but I've since forgotten almost everything I learned so I no longer have any "serious" knowledge on the subject. Take everything I post here with a grain of salt!!!

Honest opinion? Some of the photos aren't very "crisp"...I'm not sure if that's because of the camera or because of a setting being used. They don't seem like "portraits" to me, just snapshots from a family album (but that might be because your boys were having problems modelling "portraits" for their own mom!!!)

Have you ever taken any amateur photography courses?? I've seen them advertised by various places (camera shops, community centers, night school at highschools, etc)...taking something like that before trying to set up a photography business would be highly recommended because you would learn what to consider in order to get the best shot possible.

Also, what kind of camera equipment do you have?? How much would you have to invest to get a SLR/digital SLR, the various lenses and lighting equipment? If you are already a bit of an amateur photographer and HAVE the equipment, then taking portraits is a great way to cover the cost of your equipment. If you have a point and shoot camera, you would have to prove you can take GREAT shots with it since most people would probably be a bit miffed if that's the equipment you whipped out for the photo session.

grain of salt, grain of salt!!

Reactions: mom23boyz
#4 ·
I would suggest getting an SLR too, then after that...go for it! You could also do family "snapshot" photography. Advertise that you'll head out to family reunions, graduations, etc. take photos and provide scrapbook type things for the family afterwards. I guarantee, if you are doing it just to make some extra cash, you could definately beat the prices of the "professionals" for casual occassions (I would stay away from weddings and things that people are really particular about), and it would give them a good album or something to remember the event!

Reactions: mom23boyz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.